Essential The Locker Room's Random Thoughts

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
I've had some people tell me that being autistic must be tiring because you can't switch it off. And yeah, it's true, I can't switch it off, it's always there and I'll always have it.

That's not the tiring bit.

The tiring bit is trying to fit in just to have peace. Not being able to stim, or hum, or talk to myself without seeming like a crazy person, having to dress uncomfortably knowing my skin is mad sensitive and everything is aggravating. Basically, being autistic isn't tiring. Pretending to be normal is tiring :russ:

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Still enjoying the job so far but my coworker put me on game today and had me shaking my head. I work with a nonprofit organization that serves low-income people, and many of our clients are people of color. However, many of our attorneys and field organizers are white and/or middle-upper class, which is no problem on the surface, but a few of them apparently have a hard time understanding the fact that stereotypes don't define an entire race (you'd figure this mindset would be a requirement to work in this field but I guess not).

Anyway, my coworker (she's black) told me about this "staff retreat" they had in the winter before I started, and one of the topics was diversity. The presenter asked for people's views on black people and black culture, and the responses from a few of the white employees had my black coworkers like:

:dwillhuh::mindblown::dahell:

The tax attorney in her department said he believes that most black men are unemployed, lying degenerates who don't take care of their kids and never pay child support. He supported this view by saying that many of his black male clients are unemployed and not paying their bills, but isn't that what you'd expect working as the tax/employment attorney at a public service org?! His job is to help people with those issues, and literally every client who comes through the door is poor and unable to pay child support/rent/bills/loans no matter what color they are. Does he really not notice the white and Hispanic poor people in the waiting room every day?

He claimed that he isn't racist though, because whenever his white friends defend police brutality against blacks or make racist comments, he doesn't join in (of course he doesn't try to argue against them but that must have went over his head).

To top it off, one of the law clerks said she thinks of fried chicken and collard greens when black people come to mind, and another clerk said something like he only thinks of rap music. None of the attorneys/clerks that I work with said anything off the wall but I can't be shocked if something like that happens now.

I still feel like the majority of people here are good-hearted and very informed on racism and poverty and the related issues but gotdamn, that threw me for a loop. I don't understand how someone could end up here without that basic knowledge. You work at a public service organization whose mission statement is to empower low-income people and it literally says that on the website! Knowing that was a part of the interview process!

:wtf:

360dagod

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SAN ANTONIO SPURS NY DIVISION
Still enjoying the job so far but my coworker put me on game today and had me shaking my head. I work with a nonprofit organization that serves low-income people, and many of our clients are people of color. However, many of our attorneys and field organizers are white and/or middle-upper class, which is no problem on the surface, but a few of them apparently have a hard time understanding the fact that stereotypes don't define an entire race (you'd figure this mindset would be a requirement to work in this field but I guess not).

Anyway, my coworker (she's black) told me about this "staff retreat" they had in the winter before I started, and one of the topics was diversity. The presenter asked for people's views on black people and black culture, and the responses from a few of the white employees had my black coworkers like:

The tax attorney in her department said he believes that most black men are unemployed, lying degenerates who don't take care of their kids and never pay child support. He supported this view by saying that many of his black male clients are unemployed and not paying their bills, but isn't that what you'd expect working as the tax/employment attorney at a public service org?! His job is to help people with those issues, and literally every client who comes through the door is poor and unable to pay child support/rent/bills/loans no matter what color they are. Does he really not notice the white and Hispanic poor people in the waiting room every day?

He claimed that he isn't racist though, because whenever his white friends defend police brutality against blacks or make racist comments, he doesn't join in (of course he doesn't try to argue against them but that must have went over his head).

To top it off, one of the law clerks said she thinks of fried chicken and collard greens when black people come to mind, and another clerk said something like he only thinks of rap music. None of the attorneys/clerks that I work with said anything off the wall but I can't be shocked if something like that happens now.

I still feel like the majority of people here are good-hearted and very informed on racism and poverty and the related issues but gotdamn, that threw me for a loop. I don't understand how someone could end up here without that basic knowledge. You work at a public service organization whose mission statement is to empower low-income people and it literally says that on the website! Knowing that was a part of the interview process!

They are informed of their "white privilege":sas2:

roxxthe96er

Emcee
Daps
Reppin
CCVII, AMERICON.
I got one cousin who makes $1500 a month working 2 jobs an 90+ hour weeks, I got another cousin who makes that in a week off welfare an drug sales...
ALL THIS shyt IS A WORK OF FICTION.:troll:
FINGER fukk THE FEDS YALL AINT TAKING MY COUSIN.:pacspit:
I hope they ain't take my cousin.:sadcam:
...one day they gon take my cousin...:mjcry:

Bless't

Living the dream
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Is that not the first sign that he is? Actions speak louder than words and everything your coworkers did/said should speak volumes.

Winston

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I'm drunk for the first time and why do people dothis:mindblown: u justfeel dizzy

I took my 10mins to make 2 sandwiches and i dropped them walking out the kitchen. When i finish eating im going to sleep

muse

thats 2 kids! im out!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
chi sagittarii
:yeshrug:
a former friend's cousin. she's been raising money since like april/may

I'm drunk for the first time and why do people dothis:mindblown: u justfeel dizzy

I took my 10mins to make 2 sandwiches and i dropped them walking out the kitchen. When i finish eating im going to sleep

:russ: :laff:

its so funny people who not about that drinking life reading their experiences
we drop drinks but we dont drop food breh :ufdup:

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
the only message that counts is the one that's received

learned that minoring in pop culture. funny how my minor changed my outlook more than my major did