The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

Karb

Veteran
Daps
Did you even watch the video you posted?

Grown men in Africa calling a woman a slave was not meant as a joke.

Then you want to equate that to grade school kids whose brains aint even left the 1st stage of development teasing?

Oh wait you think AA slaves werent seen as primitive? But guess what....the slave jokes yall make not only make fun of primitiveness but something far deeper and darker....bondage, impotence, weakness, lack of culture don't play dumb.

And it has everything to do with it because calling AA's xenophobic is literally the textbook definition of 1st world problems when in pretty much every other community you could get merked just over your existence.

Got the nerve to compare Africans crying about dashikis and having to change their name to sound American to AAs talking about the feelings of disenfranchisement from a wave of UPWARDLY MOBILE Black immigrants taking what they feel is opportunities based on skill color and not ancestry.

Disingenuous nonsense.

I see your point, but you're using a very extreme example and juxtaposing it with some benign childhood name-calling when we both know there are extremes on both sides. That's my point. Some Africans have been called monkeys, starving Marvins and the poor conditions in their countries have been used to degrade them, when in many cases it's the same white supremacist structure that's responsible for said conditions. How is perpetuating some dehumanizing image of Africans as primitive (which can be traced back to colonialism and slavery in Africa) less serious than referring to AA's as slaves?

And it's interesting how the fact that many AA's are all too happy to serve in the US armed forces, including in Africom which is responsible for killing innocent Africans, never gets brought up in these discussions. :yeshrug:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
So west African nations (at least) shouldn't teach fellow west Africans about this immensely important historical information that totally shapes their lives, and the lives of people who are related to them around the world?

Also, again, you're equating the American educational system to that of sovereign African nations with that Kenyan argument.

It's a disingenuous false equivalency

What school system on this planet teaches about Systematic White supremacy in other countries? A system that ALL non white people live under.

Students period in grade school learn about the history of the nation they are in. West Africans may learn about Slavery but they would more than likely learn about Slavery from the perspective of how it impacted their nation, the same way in America it is taught from how it impacted America, hence why you are ignorant to how systematic white supremacy works in Africa thus you writing off every African as a "c00n".

Karb

Veteran
Daps
You keep saying "yall." Anyways I agree that its extremely retarded to lump all Africans together.

I agree that c00ns exists in all Black groups. However, the fact remains that AAs compared to other African descent groups are the least xenophobic.

And PS @Karbaash you my breh but I HOPE you be going in at those racist ass Somalis around the net since you claim to be tired of the tribalism. Because I seen MANY repeat MANY racist ass Somalis around the net who constantly incite tribal wars against those they label "Bantus." You can't go on any Somali site without seeing any xenophobia. shyt be worse than Nairaland.

fukk them racist Somalis. I rebuke them when I can :hubie:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Some Africans have been called monkeys, starving Marvins and the poor conditions in their countries have been used to degrade them

Are you really comparing this to slavery? This is ambiguous nonsense that all Black folks get called. Lebron got called a monkey, AAs make fun of AAs for being poor....like really bro?

We comparing that shyt to making fun of a group of people losing their agency and being forced to pass their trauma from that generation to generation in a place where they are outnumbered 10:1?

Hell nah.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
So we are pretending Black folks generational family structures are the same all around the world or that African immigrants have similar family structures to AA or live in the same conditions on average in America? Disingenuous nonsense.

Its a Ethiopian and Jamaican restaurant in every hood that we could raze and bomb on every immigrant in the joint on sight if we were really on some no outsiders shyt.

What is the "African Family Structure".

Ethiopian spot in every hood? :mjlol:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Immigrants are a "small niche group" compared to a continent of a billion people. Why is it that you want to use logic in one scenario but not for another scenario?

that's the full spectrum of african immigrants in the USA

At the end of the day Immigrants are typically vetted before they can step foot in America, AAs are not (because this is their country). Why is it ok to use a vetted minority to represent an entire continent, but if an immigrant uses the experience they had with a native in that natives land as a litmus of how the natives are in that land it is wrong? Lol

because africans can easily see the full spectrum of aframs in the USA on a larger scale whereas aframs will for the most part only meet what's in the USA when it comes to african immigrants

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
What is the "African Family Structure".

Ethiopian spot in every hood?:mjlol:

A patriarch and matriarch in every household who was raised by a patriarch and matriarch.

And yup, all of these African businesses and houses with flags on their porch would get burned down like they do in South Africa if we really wanted to be xenophobic.

You got folks legitimately scared to tell folks their ethnicity/nationality or use their real accent but you can go on IG and put a lil flag in your bio with no worry :mjlol:

Karb

Veteran
Daps
The only group of Africans I have seen legit examples of not liking AAs are Nigerians. Anyone else at most simply did not understand American history. First time I heard the term "akata" was when I saw the movie Sugar Hill and my girl who is AA had to tell me what it meant. My damn people lived amongst AAs and Caribbeans and their descendants who literally socially oppressed them to a degree and didn't have a concept or word of something to mock the history of slavery of blacks in the West.

Before I ever met an AA, ppl around me generally admired them. Figures like Muhammad Ali, Malcolm X, MLK, heck even Michael Jackson. Michael Jordan etc were huge :manny:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
There are none because they can't be in a manner that would be useful. If there were you could give ways they THEORETICALLY could be.

Are you serious????

Boycott results in a new Black-owned gas station in Dallas community
Don't shop turns into 'do for self' Boycott results in a new Black-owned gas station in Dallas community

At this point you're being in denial. If there were truly xenophobia in the AA community we would be boycotting MANY of these foreign black owned stores. Just stop it.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
that's the full spectrum of african immigrants in the USA

because africans can easily see the full spectrum of aframs in the USA on a larger scale whereas aframs will for the most part only meet what's in the USA when it comes to african immigrants

So if only a handle full of Africans from a handle full of nations on TOP of having to be vetted before entering the US are a representative of a continent, why is it incorrect for them to make assumptions based off of interactions of a native people in their native land?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
provide examples

yes for the most part...

aframs have no beef with foreign blacks unless they're triggered to feel that way. Aframs accept outsiders with open arms...how else can you explain black foreigners being so easily absorbed into afram mainstream culture(s) w/o backlash from those same aframs? We never accuse them of cultural appropriation but as soon as an afram takes part in their culture(s), they get called a culture vulture:jbhmm: