the godfather 1 and 2 are the gifts that keep on givin'. godfather 1 and 2 appreciation thread

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Im on part 2...this always bugged me. Who ordered the hit on frank pentangeli.

Was it Roth? Did they botch the hit on purpose to make him turn on Michael? thats why they said "Corleone says hello"??

I think Hyman Roth ordered it, but that whole scene confuses me too.

The “Michael Corleone says hello” line wasn’t even in the script. Danny Aiello ad-libbed it, and FF Coppola liked it and decided to keep it.

So they intentionally wanted to botch the hit and make Frank think Michael was behind it? The cops showing up and shootout was legit though, as Cicci got caught and ended up testifying.

Tom does tell Michael later on “Roth played this beautifully”

I was also unclear on who killed the 2 hitmen at the Tahoe compound.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps

The “Michael Corleone says hello” line wasn’t even in the script. Danny Aiello ad-libbed it, and FF Coppola liked it and decided to keep it.

So they intentionally wanted to botch the hit and make Frank think Michael was behind it? The cops showing up and shootout was legit though, as Cicci got caught and ended up testifying.

still doesnt make sense to say Corleone say hello and then botch it... Mike would know that he didn order the hit and that Hyman did to set him up and that Hyman tried to kill him at his home in vegas...
Why would Hyman want that? As far as he knew Mike didnt suspect him for the attempt on his life :yeshrug:

After the botched hit it was clear as day that Mike would blame him for both of those failed hits

Maybe he knew he couldnt get another shot and tried to turn more ppl against him.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
i just finished the second one yesterday :wow:
I rly cant chose between 1 and 2.
I like to think of them as one movie

Im gonna watch the third one....

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Im on part 2...this always bugged me. Who ordered the hit on frank pentangeli.

Was it Roth? Did they botch the hit on purpose to make him turn on Michael? thats why they said "Corleone says hello"??

I always thought Michael ordered it, it was meant to kill Frankie but the cop showing up fukked it up

Does the book make it more clear?

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
I always thought Michael ordered it, it was meant to kill Frankie but the cop showing up fukked it up

Does the book make it more clear?
The book stoped at part one... it had bits of young vito escaping italy an killing DOn fanuci but mostly it was part one
Hyman clearlly staged the hit and botched it.

Im guessing he knew Mike knew he was behind the attempt on his life. He knew he couldnt get to him again so he tried to have him locked up

Its funny watching the movie again after reading the book.
Don Fanucci has a scar on his neck in the movie but they never say why...
In the book someone tried to kill him by cutting his throat but they failed.
He killed one of those guys but tthe other he let live for a sum of money.
This was another reason Vito didnt respect him and decided to kill him. A true Don would never allow a man that tried to kill him to live in exchange for money

Last edited:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky

And who opened the curtains in Michael's room?

That's why part 2, for as good as it is has a few strange plot holes that never make any sense. Which is why part 1 is better imo.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
And who opened the curtains in Michael's room?

That's why part 2, for as good as it is has a few strange plot holes that never make any sense. Which is why part 1 is better imo.
I think Fredo did...they told him they were gonna scare him not kill him. Fredo, being smart and knowing things, believed them.
As fas as who killed the hitmen. Apart from Rocco and Neri everyone in that security detail could've killed them. They needed a guy from security to get in the compound in the first place

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
At your own risk.
it's not that bad...:yeshrug:

Bridget fonda:bryan:
Small part but she looked great. Almost as good as she looked in Jackie Brown

Big p*ssy made a cameo as a driver

Sure. Sofia is :pachaha:

Pacino stopped being Michael and started being Pacino.(who can blame him) How he didnt win an oscar for those two movies is just :what: HE probably said fukk it, At least im gonna have some fun

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
it's not that bad...:yeshrug:

Bridget fonda:bryan:
Small part but she looked great. Almost as good as she looked in Jackie Brown

Big p*ssy made a cameo as a driver

Sure. Sofia is :pachaha:

Pacino stopped being Michael and started being Pacino.(who can blame him) How he didnt win an oscar for those two movies is just :what: HE probably said fukk it, At least im gonna have some fun

One of the things that hurt the most is that Paramount refused to pay Robert Duvall more money, so he chose not to be in the movie. They had to write him out of the script.

3 was sorely missing Tom Hagen.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps
One of the things that hurt the most is that Paramount refused to pay Robert Duvall more money, so he chose not to be in the movie. They had to write him out of the script.

3 was sorely missing Tom Hagen.
The Petrocelli character who betrayed Michael in 2 was supposed to be Clemnenza, wich would have been 100 times better. Especially when they showed young Clemenza and how he started out with Vito and how Clemenza helped Mike in the first movie
THe actor who played clemenza had some argument with paramount and with Coppola
I swear, Coppola had to move mountains to make these movies, especially the first one

Last edited:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
The Petrocelli character who betrayed Michael in 2 was supposed to be Clemnenza, wich would have been 100 times better. Especially when they showed young Clemenza and how he started out with Vito and how Clemenza helped Mike in the first movie
THe actor who played clemenza had some argument with paramount and with Coppola
I swear, Coppola had to move mountains to make these movies, especially the first one

One of the stories is that the actor who played Clemenza (Richard Castellano) wanted his girlfriend to write his lines lol

His wiki said he and his agent wanted more control over his character. He later said he didn’t want his character to betray the Corleones.

I loved his character, which his knowledge of military history (Frankie knew about history too with the part about failed coups on emperors)

They should have stopped him early, like they should have stopped Putin at Crimea. They never should have let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble.

degu9089

All Star
Daps
One of the stories is that the actor who played Clemenza (Richard Castellano) wanted his girlfriend to write his lines lol

His wiki said he and his agent wanted more control over his character. He later said he didn’t want his character to betray the Corleones.

I loved his character, which his knowledge of military history (Frankie knew about history too with the part about failed coups on emperors)

They should have stopped him early, like they should have stopped Putin at Crimea. They never should have let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble.
In the book, they state he was copying Don Corleone, who said the same when Hitler was coming up.

ciubaca

Superstar
Daps

yea, some weird demands by him
He had the biggest paycheck in the first movie (apart from Brando) :damn:
Witch is nuts considering the actors