"The GOAT Black City" The Official: ATL Discussion Thread

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
Sandy Springs is a faster commute and a solid city from what I heard from.

Gwinnett County depends on the zipcode, black population, and traffic.. but mainly traffic as the closest city to Alpharetta is Duluth and that’s Korean town (if you cool with that)

I'm not sure what he values. My personal choice would be Sandy Springs or Dunwoody.

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
I'm not sure what he values. My personal choice would be Sandy Springs or Dunwoody.
breh said to raise a family in so I’d assume school systems and overall public amenities would factor in along with commute

I’m not familiar with their school systems but Sandy Springs has a 20% black population which I’d assume is a large presence

@FastEddie215 if you interested in Gwinnett I could give you a run down

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
breh said to raise a family in so I’d assume school systems and overall public amenities would factor in along with commute

I’m not familiar with their school systems but Sandy Springs has a 20% black population which I’d assume is a large presence

@FastEddie215 if you interested in Gwinnett I could give you a run down
Yea if you can run down Gwinnett that’ll be a good look

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
Yea if you can run down Gwinnett that’ll be a good look
Gwinnett County is a fast growing suburban county about 30 mins - 1hour from Atlanta with a million residents.

Pros are it’s very diverse (which opens up many local food options), great activities for family (since it’s composed of family centric communities), and the parks and library systems that are the best in the state.

With this growth, the county is building new neighborhoods and homes everywhere to entice families to move in. I can’t tell you about the market, but there’s many realtor channels take educate you on any city in the county.

Here’s a few clips from two realtors speaking on the city of Snellville:

Demographic wise, the north side is the most affluent and :mjpls:, the east is more rural since it’s closer to Athens/Walton County, the south touches Dekalb so there are more black families and communities down there, while the west is mostly hispanics and asians.

the biggest cons are traffic, lack of public transportation, the black population isn’t a robust as Dekalb/Fulton/Clayton, and depending what your zipcode is — schooling

Traffic: high congestion during the afternoon/evening. Working in North Atlanta, it takes me an 1hr and 10 mins going and coming from work every three days of the week.

Public Transportation: non-existent. The MARTA stations closest to the county is Doraville and Indian Creek. There’s no transit that’ll take you to Alpharetta. I-20, I-85, and I-285 are the three highways that’ll take you into the city depending on what city you choose. This also means there’s zero walkability — you will have to drive mostly everywhere.

Black Population: as of 2022 there’s roughly 280k Black Americans living here. Compared to Dekalb and Fulton’s 400k+, the county will feel more like a multi-cultural hub than a black hub.. if that makes sense.

Racism still exists in most pockets of the county, with the west and north containing schools and populations majority white.

Schooling: Gwinnett has the largest public school system in the state. Recognized for sports and academic success, there’s many opportunities for your children to reach their full potential. Where your zipcode falls will determine what school cluster your child attends.

Not all schools are perceived the same due to racism, but I graduated from one of the “worst” schools in the county and I’m doing ight.

My opinion: Central Gwinnett, Grayson, South Gwinnett, and Shiloh HS clusters has the most black presence in the county.. with all those school clusters imo being good schools because it’s still a suburban area.

TLDR: up and coming, diverse, good schools, good parks, far as hell from the city, good for family building

My fault this took a minute.

Last edited:

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
1. If you're familiar with the ongoing challenges, this doesn't cover much new ground
2. His solutions lean heavily toward duplexes, triplexes and quadplexes...the "missing middle" housing option
3. It makes little sense to focus on any of this before setting out a better transit system, but...here we are
4. The ATL City design book is a slick bit of marketing fiction, that's allowed investors to throw money at local politicians to specifically contravene the plans
5. YIKES @ the growth in Cherokee and Forsyth

Lots of good maps to get a feel for where the money's going, regardless. That Indian Creek development is going to be a beast for surrounding streets.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
1. If you're familiar with the ongoing challenges, this doesn't cover much new ground
2. His solutions lean heavily toward duplexes, triplexes and quadplexes...the "missing middle" housing option
3. It makes little sense to focus on any of this before setting out a better transit system, but...here we are
4. The ATL City design book is a slick bit of marketing fiction, that's allowed investors to throw money at local politicians to specifically contravene the plans
5. YIKES @ the growth in Cherokee and Forsyth

Lots of good maps to get a feel for where the money's going, regardless. That Indian Creek development is going to be a beast for surrounding streets.