The Get Down Part 1 & 2 (Official Thread)

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
This was surprisingly enjoyable...not being the biggest Baz Luhrmann fan I went into it not knowing how I would feel about it but the old fella actually made something really good. The casting is on point, the visuals are great and the music is incredible.
I am :lupe: about which of the Get Down Brothers will end up getting killed because this show has that Cooley High vibe to it and someone has to go the route of Cochise. The show seems to be making it look like Shao will be the one since he is the closest to Cochise as a character but I am thinking it will be Dizzee.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I had to pause it to :mjlol:when they were all at the big ass stone with Zeke:mjcry:because of his girl, Shaolin slides down swaggy as hell while everyone else is :ohhh::wtf::mindblown:and Zeke goes "This motherfukka with the fake karate and shyt:mjcry:"
Jump/Hand glide across a burning building/Scale down a set of rocks like Bruce Lee & Crazy Legs:banderas:

...Shaolin:fire: is easily The ReaL MVP:russ:

That Saturday Night Fever Cokehead nikka:stylin: is hilarious, tho:pachaha:

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
I live in Harlem so all my recommendations will be there:
Jamaican - Rusty's 134th St. and Adam Clayton Powell Blvd. (7th Ave), it is a hole in the wall no seating at all, but the food is oh so authentic. :ohlawd:
Soul Food - traditional soul food spots you can go to Amy Ruth's on 116th and Lenox (6th Ave.) or Sylvia's on Lenox near 127th. But I really recommend Red Rooster, it is all new school and chic but the food is better to. It's on Lenox between 125th and 126th.
Haitian - Not really a Haitian spot but French African spot Yatenga, on Adam Clayton Powell and 133rd. And next door is a cool African bar The Shrine. Every night there is a good male/female ratio and it is a friendly spot.
For DR/PR - It's a chain but if you go on a Friday/Saturday nite it is soo poppin'! Don Coqui there's one in Astoria, Queens and one on City Island in the Bronx. It has good food but it is soo live in the evening it's not the main reason to go. Go on a weekend night and guaranteed you will run into at least a decent party.

Not really up on a Cuban spot and if you can ask someone from Brooklyn I'm sure they got better Jamaican spots out there. I'm not really up on that tho. Soul Food tho come to Harlem.

Spoonbread mamas
Melbas
Mannas

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Spoonbread mamas
Melbas
Mannas
Spoonbread is closed on Lenox and 138th. It's like a fake Dallas BBQs now. Is there another one?
Melbas is cool, I like red rooster better. But yeah it deserves a mention.
Mannas the buffet spot? I'm not a huge fan. It is OK but I wouldn't recommend it tho.
Harlem!

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
Spoonbread is closed on Lenox and 138th. It's like a fake Dallas BBQs now. Is there another one?
Melbas is cool, I like red rooster better. But yeah it deserves a mention.
Mannas the buffet spot? I'm not a huge fan. It is OK but I wouldn't recommend it tho.
Harlem!

when I lived in the Bx i used to hit up Hot Pot all the time on Frederick Douglass

just looked it up and see its closed :to:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hearing Africa Bambooty name was polarizing, tho:birdman:

...and, the DJ playing Grandmaster Flash is a dead ringer:ohhh:

Is Ezekiel suppose to be Melly Mel, wait he's too young:lupe:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Hearing Africa Bambooty name was polarizing, tho:birdman:

...and, the DJ playing Grandmaster Flash is a dead ringer:ohhh:

Is Ezekiel suppose to be Melly Mel, wait he's too young:lupe:
And Melly Mel wasn't poppin' in '96. lol
He's completely fictional, maybe different parts of a lot of guys? Part Nas, part Kurtis Blow, part Rahiem from the Furious 5. all the MCs who consulted on this.