The Get Down Part 1 & 2 (Official Thread)

GoFlipAPack

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Wait...hold up?

I haven't been to NY in a couple years. Does the BX still look like world war 2 hit it?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Wait...hold up?

I haven't been to NY in a couple years. Does the BX still look like world war 2 hit it?
No, but ain't shyt sweet up there either, especially compared to the rest of NYC. Brooklyn is hipsterville so safe now saying you from Brooklyn is like embarrassing, Queens is more middle class and has it's own pockets of 20somethings not from NYC but it's still real NYC at least, Harlem is getting a lot of rich fukks buying brownstones for outrageous prices so we losing our edge there. The BX ain't got none of that shyt, it's still poor to middling Black and brown folk trying to make it happen. Ain't no hip parts of the Bronx.

Buidlings aren't crumbling or on fire but it's still nothing glamorous about it.

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
Finished all the eps this AM

F-ckin fantastic! Really did a good job with the small (and large) details.

Im old enough to know some folks who come from that generation (and come from the South Bronx) and have been told alot of stories from back in that era. Alot of those stories sound so wild...damn near mythological but this series did a great job of capturing alot of that.

My homeboy was just telling me about some crews back in the day who had speakers so big that people could actually walk inside of them...and I'll be damned if that last episode didnt have some speakers that looked about that size :russ:

Plus I imagine its hard folks folks to really realize how intertwined all of that stuff was but trust from the Blackout of '77, to the mayoral race, disco, drugs, gangs, etc it all played a part in giving birth to the culture

Cant wait for pt2

dem bath salts

To be reckoned with
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broward
Im on episode 5. I like it. A bit all over the place and the kung fu/ red pumas shyt is lol status but i fukk with the characters and story.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
On esp 4. Mylene in that Pink Dress:wow:

Loving the show so far. Jaden Smith is awful in this, but I think it's more so the character is terrible. Also not feeling the 1996 Zeke rapping in the beginning . Enjoying everything else thought. Netflix is on a roll.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Can any NY brehs explain the appeal of a pigeon coop to me? I just never got it at all.
Living in poverty, being a minority in a large municipality - society constantly beats into you, through archaic police policy, poor development and pisspoor public education, that you are nothing and have no control.

Having a pigeon coop is really like a poetic rebellion.

People believe you don't want structure and authority and claim you're wild...

Yet if any prosecutor pulls her head out of her ass and looks at the gang files, they would see the hierarchy and ruleset of gang life basically screams out that each young kid wants to belong.

Similarly, a pigeon coop symbolizes your desire to have some control, to have some important space, and have a desire to cultivate nature.

Last edited: