The Get Down Part 1 & 2 (Official Thread)

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This show getting shytted on.
I read AV Club's review of the pilot, they gave it a C.

While I admit that the first episode was uneven and didn't pick up until they got to Inferno, their main complaint was that Anne and Cadillac were too over the top and flamboyant. I'm thinking, Cadillac is a drug dealer in his late 20's early 30s in the South Bronx in 77 that likes disco. Go to any major city during that time and you would've found cats that dressed and acted like him.

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures

While I admit that the first episode was uneven and didn't pick up until they got to Inferno, their main complaint was that Anne and Cadillac were too over the top and flamboyant. I'm thinking, Cadillac is a drug dealer in his late 20's early 30s in the South Bronx in 77 that likes disco. Go to any major city during that time and you would've found cats that dressed and acted like him.

The most over the top thing to me is the red puma Kung fu nikka

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
Ok I watched the first 2 eps and I like it so far expecially how they pay tribute to the greats

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps

Read that review too.

Seems like it's difficult for him to picture a coming of age story for people of colour not being entirely gritty or grim :mjpls:

As for Annie and Cadillac - they're straight out of a Baz Luhrmann flick. He had most of the cast of Romeo + Juliet hamming it up, just like that. I imagine it's the same for 'Moulin Rouge'

He also reviewed it after watching 4 of the 6 episodes.

fukk his feelings :yeshrug:

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Caught the first episode early this morning. First off, I loved all the people of color everywhere :blessed: Something that has been missing for a Netflix original series but looks to be changing with this and Luke Cage. Loved to see the guy who played Gustavo/Buggin Out on here and also the breh from the movie Dope. The brown skinned sister that was with the two puerto ricans :shaq: especially when she was showing them how to dance in the park.

To me the first episode seemed to have too much going on :patrice: it was still entertaining but it's like they tried to introduce so much in just the first hour of the show. There were some over the top characters but like someone said a few posts above, you're in a cocaine fueled 1970s New York City. I'll continue watching when I get home today.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
watched first half hour of pilot. it was excruciating. i don't even know what to think. I'll go back to it, but this might be a dud. the acting was pretty goddamn awful, but i think that's just Luhrman's style.