The Francis Scott Key Bridge in Bmore just got hit by a ship & collapsed

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This is the brainwashing game they play with the American public. Got people believing it too.

In this video a farmer talks about all they do for these workers to get them over here. The legal ones anyway. They pay for their bus ticket, their food coming over here, their place to stay while they are over here. They have a set price they are supposed to pay them, and they get to go back home where the money goes farther after their visa is done.

Imagine if they paid for the cost of a place to stay for American workers and insurance or whatever. More people would actually be willing to do these jobs, but they want to treat actual U.S. citizens worse than the immigrants.

Do you think tens of thousands of US employers secretly enjoy all the extra hassle that comes from hiring immigrants, and avoid hiring citizens out of pure spite?

They do it because it's cheaper. Full stop. Damn near every fukking move any major business makes is for its bottom line, not because these rich white Republican company owners have a secret hard-on for Latin Americans.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
Do you think tens of thousands of US employers secretly enjoy all the extra hassle that comes from hiring immigrants, and avoid hiring citizens out of pure spite?

They do it because it's cheaper. Full stop. Damn near every fukking move any major business makes is for its bottom line, not because these rich white Republican company owners have a secret hard-on for Latin Americans.

We know it's cheaper. The immigrants also get to enjoy going back home where the U.S. dollar goes farther. That's not something U.S. citizens get.
We also know they are getting taken advantage of.

They still don't want to hire American workers, because those workers know what they should be getting. It benefits them to take advantage of the ignorant, and that's what most immigrants are to the U.S. workers' rights situation. So it will get worse.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

The slow death of Twitter is measured in disasters like the Baltimore bridge collapse​

Twitter, now X, was once a useful site for breaking news. The Baltimore bridge collapse shows those days are long gone.

By A.W. Ohlheiser Mar 28, 2024, 7:30am EDT

A cargo ship in the water with a piece of a bridge broken across its bow.
Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed after being struck by a cargo ship on March 26. Scott Olson/Getty Images

A.W. Ohlheiser is a senior technology reporter at Vox, writing about the impact of technology on humans and society. They have also covered online culture and misinformation at the Washington Post, Slate, and the Columbia Journalism Review, among other places. They have an MA in religious studies and journalism from NYU.

Line up a few years’ worth of tragedies and disasters, and the online conversations about them will reveal their patterns.

The same conspiracy-theory-peddling personalities who spammed X with posts claiming that Tuesday’s Baltimore bridge collapsewas a deliberate attack have also called mass shootings “false flag” events and denied basic factsabout the Covid-19 pandemic. A Florida Republican running for Congress blamed “DEI”for the bridge collapse as racist comments about immigration and Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott circulated among the far right. These comments echo Trump in 2019, who called Baltimore a “disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess,” and, in 2015, blamed President Obama for the unrest in the city.

As conspiracy theorists compete for attention in the wake of a tragedy, others seek engagement through dubious expertise, juicy speculation, or stolen video clips. The boundary between conspiracy theory and engagement bait is permeable; unfounded and provoking posts often outpace the trickle of verified information that follows any sort of major breaking news event. Then, the conspiracy theories become content, and a lot of people marvel and express outrage that they exist. Then they kind of forget about the raging river of Bad Internet until the next national tragedy.

I’ve seen it so many times. I became a breaking news reporter in 2012, which means that in internet years, I have the experience of an almost ancient entity. The collapse of the Francis Scott Key bridge into the Patapsco River, though, felt a little different from most of these moments for me, for two reasons.

First, it was happening after a few big shifts in what the internet even is, as Twitter, once a go-to space for following breaking news events, became an Elon Musk-owned factory for verified accounts with bad ideas, while generative AI toolshave superpowered grifters wanting to make plausible text and visual fabrications. And second, I live in Baltimore. People I know commute on that bridge, which forms part of the city’s Beltway. Some of the workers who fell, now presumed dead, lived in a neighborhood across the park from me.

The local cost of global misinformation​

On Tuesday evening, I called Lisa Snowden, the editor-in-chief of the Baltimore Beat the city’s Black-owned alt-weekly — and an influential presence in Baltimore’s still pretty active X community. I wanted to talk about how following breaking news online has changed over time.

Snowden was up during the early morning hourswhen the bridge collapsed. Baltimore’s X presence is small enough that journalists like her generally know who the other journalists are working in the city, especially those reporting on Baltimore itself. Almost as soon as news broke about the bridge, though, she saw accounts she’d never heard of before speaking with authority about what had happened, sharing unsourced video, and speculating about the cause.

Over the next several hours, the misinformation and racism about Baltimore snowballed on X. For Snowden, this felt a bit like an invasion into a community that had so far survived the slow death of what was once Twitter by simply staying out of the spotlight.

“Baltimore Twitter, it’s usually not as bad,” Snowden said. She sticks to the people she follows. “But today I noticed that was pretty much impossible. It got extremely racist. And I was seeing other folks in Baltimore also being like, ‘This might be what sends me finally off this app.’”

Here are some of the tweets that got attention in the hours after the collapse: Paul Szypula, a MAGA influencer with more than 100,000 followers on X, tweeted “Synergy Marine Group [the company that owned the ship in question] promotes DEI in their company. Did anti-white business practices cause this disaster?” alongside a screenshot of a page on the company’s website that discussed the existence of a diversity and inclusion policy.

That tweet got more than 600,000 views. Another far-right influencer speculated that there was some connection between the collapse and, I guess, Barack Obama? I don’t know. The tweet got 5 million views as of mid-day Wednesday.

Being online during a tragic event is full of consequential nonsense like this, ideas and conspiracy theories that are inane enough to fall into the fog of Poe’s Law and yet harmful to actual people and painful to see in particular when it’s your community being turned into views. Sure, there are best practices you can follow to try to contribute to a better information ecosystem in these moments. Those practices matter. But for Snowden, the main thing she can do as her newsroom gets to work reporting on the impact of this disaster on the community here is to let time march on.

“In a couple days, this terrible racist mob, or whatever it is, is going to be onto something else,” Snowden said. “ Baltimore ... people are still going to need things. Everybody’s still going to be working. So I’m just kind of waiting it out,” she said “But it does hurt.”

MaxPain

Hispaniola Exchange Student
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where It’s Not Safe
DMV & B more people already know how janky that bridge ALREADY was.

Those potholes were fukking up my tires. It’s like a dam Mario Kart level.

The fact that it snapped that EASILY is telling.

Matter fact, I noticed ALOT of American infrastructure is OLD & TIRED when I was a delivery driver for a while. Especially when I went Down South (Memphis roads look like hot shyt) .

RIP to those who have passed.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Mar 27, 2024 - News

Baltimore's bridge collapse expected to disrupt Colorado's car industry​

The collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge is seen in the background of the on-ramp to the bridge on Wednesday in Baltimore. Photo: Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

The tragic collapse of Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge on Tuesday will have economic impacts in Colorado.

The big picture: The Port of Baltimore is one of the busiest in the U.S., particularly for car shipments, and this week's disaster is expected to affect the flow of commerce countrywide, Axios' Mimi Montogomery and Ivana Saric write.

Zoom in: Although Colorado's vehicles mostly come in from the Port of Los Angeles, smaller manufacturers looking to get cars from East Coast dealers won't be able to very quickly for an indeterminate amount of time, industry experts tell us.

• Generally, European companies ship cars in through the East Coast, while Asian carmakers send them through the West Coast.

Threat level: "If you're driving a Hyundai or you're driving a Toyota, it's probably not going to impact you too much. But if you drive a Porsche or Audi, you're going to see a slowdown" if you need a repair, Colorado Auto Dealers Association CEO and president Matthew Groves tells us.

• Where it's likely to "hurt the most" is for people with backordered cars, which tend to be popular models placed on reservation for 12 to 18 months.
  • Overall, however, the impact in Colorado is likely to be "manageable" and "minimal," he notes.

What they're saying: "We will continue to monitor the situation to fully understand the impact to Colorado and important supply chains," Colorado Department of Revenue spokesperson Daniel Carr tells us.

State of play: Colorado's car industry is improving after taking a major hit in inventory while car loan interest rates spiked in the wake of the pandemic.

• Now, year-over-year sales numbers of new cars are steadily increasing.

By the numbers: The state was sitting between 209,000 and 218,000 new cars sold in 2019, but dropped to about 194,000 in 2022, per Colorado Auto Dealers Association data.

• Last year, that number rose closer to 210,000, "so we're not quite back to where we started, but we are definitely moving in the right direction," Groves says.

What we're watching: It's too early to determine how long the port will be closed, Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul J. Wiedefeld told reporters Tuesday.

• But President Biden said he's asked his team "to move heaven and earth to reopen the port and rebuild the bridge as soon as humanly possible."

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't imagine working on that bridge like any other regular day only to fall 300ft to the afterlife.

I know it's cliche but life is precious then a MF.

Rip to them

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
:damn: I hope there weren’t too many casualties. RiP for those that died. All I know is when a car goes in the water, you’re supposed to wait until the pressure equalizes, and use head rest to break the window. If that ish happened in FL we would be gator food

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I meant terrorist attack

Freighter pilot called for tugboat help before plowing into Baltimore bridge​

By Gabriella Borter

March 28, 20246:09 AM EDTUpdated 11 hours ago

BALTIMORE, March 27 (Reuters) - The pilot of the cargo freighter that knocked down a highway bridge into Baltimore Harbor had radioed for tugboat help and reported a power loss minutes earlier, federal safety officials said on Wednesday, citing audio from the ship's "black box" data recorder.

The head of the National Transportation Safety Board also said that Francis Scott Key Bridge, a traffic artery over the harbor built in 1976, lacked structural engineering redundancies common to newer spans, making it more vulnerable to a catastrophic collapse.

New insights into the fatal disaster emerged a day after the massive Singapore-flagged container ship Dali sailing out of Baltimore Harbor bound for Sri Lanka reported losing power and the ability to maneuver before plowing into a support pylon of the bridge.

The impact brought most of the bridge tumbling into the mouth of the Patapsco River almost immediately, blocking shipping lanes and forcing the indefinite closure of the Port of Baltimore, one of the busiest on the U.S. Eastern Seaboard.

Divers on Wednesday recovered the remains of two of the six workers missing since the crumbling bridge tossed them into the water, officials said on Wednesday.

Maryland State Police Colonel Roland Butler said a red pickup truck containing the bodies of the two men was found in about 25 feet (7.62 m) of water near the mid-section of the fallen bridge.

He also said authorities had suspended efforts to retrieve more bodies from the depths due to increasingly treacherous conditions in the wreckage-strewn harbor. Butler said sonar images showed additional submerged vehicles "encased" in sunken bridge debris, making them difficult to reach.

The two men whose bodies were recovered on Wednesday were identified as Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, of Baltimore, a native of Mexico, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, 26, of nearby Dundalk, originally from Guatemala.

Four more workers who were part of a crew filling potholes on the bridge's road surface remained missing and presumed dead. The six also included immigrants from Honduras and El Salvador, officials said.

Rescuers pulled two workers from the water alive on Tuesday, and one was hospitalized.

The economic fallout could be staggering. The port handles more automobile and farm equipment freight than any other in the country, as well as container freight and bulk goods ranging from sugar to coal.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said the 8,000 jobs are "directly associated" with port operations, which generate $2 million a day in wages.

Still, economists and logistics experts doubted the port closure would trigger a major U.S. supply chain crisis or significant spike in the price of goods, due to ample capacity at rival shipping hubs along the East Coast.

The collapse, which occurred at 1:30 a.m., has created a traffic quagmire as well for Baltimore and the surrounding region.

Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore

Item 1 of 16 Part of a span of the collapsed bridge in Baltimore, March 26, 2024. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers/Handout via REUTERS

[1/16]Part of a span of the collapsed bridge in Baltimore, March 26, 2024. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers/Handout via REUTERS Purchase Licensing Rights, opens new tab

INTERVIEWING SURVIVORS​

Earlier on Wednesday an NTSB team boarded the idled freighter, still anchored in the harbor channel with part of the mangled bridge splayed over its bow, to begin interviewing the ship's two pilots and 21 regular crew members who remained on the vessel, safety board chief Jennifer Homendy said.

Investigators also began reviewing information collected from the ship's Voyage Data Recorder, including radio traffic between the pilot and shore-based authorities leading up to the disaster.

The pilot was heard calling for tugboat assistance several minutes before the crash, the first indication of distress to harbor officials, followed by a radio report that the ship had lost all power and was approaching the bridge, NTSB officials said at a news briefing on Wednesday night.

Video footage that captured the accident show the ship's lights winking off, then back on briefly before the vessel's lights go out again.

Homendy said recorder data was "consistent with a power outage" but that an actual blackout had yet to be confirmed.

The recorder also picked up commands to the crew to drop anchor, presumably aimed at slowing the vessel.

Safety board investigator Marcel Muise said data showed the Dali, measuring about three football fields in length and piled high with shipping containers, was moving at about 8 miles per hour (12.8 km) when it struck a bridge abutment.

Homendy noted that the bridge, while deemed to be in "satisfactory" condition from its most recent inspection in 2023, was constructed in such a way that failure of one structural member "would likely cause a portion of, or the entire bridge to collapse."

Further details of last-minute efforts to save lives emerged on Wednesday from open-source recordings of emergency radio chatter from the moments that authorities were alerted that the cargo ship Dali was drifting out of control toward Key Bridge.

"Hold all traffic on the Key Bridge. There's a ship approaching that just lost their steering," someone is heard saying over a police radio.

While voices were heard discussing next steps, including alerting any work crews to leave the bridge, one broke through to say: "The whole bridge just fell down!" The audio was carried by the public streaming service Broadcastify.

The U.S. Coast Guard's first priorities are to restore the waterway for shipping, stabilize the crippled vessel and extricate it, Vice Admiral Peter Gautier said at a White House news briefing.

Of the ship's 4,700 cargo containers, 56 hold hazardous materials but there is no threat to the public, Gautier said. Two containers went overboard during the crash but they did not contain hazardous materials. The ship was carrying more than 1.5 million gallons of fuel oil, Gautier added.

Homendy said some of hazmat containers aboard the vessel had been breached and a sheen was noticed on the water's surface.

Get weekly news and analysis on the U.S. elections and how it matters to the world with the newsletter On the Campaign Trail. Sign up here.

Reporting by Gabriella Borter in Baltimore; Additional reporting by Rami Ayyub, Nandita Bose, Doina Chiacu, Ted Hesson, Katharine Jackson, Mike Segar, David Shephardson; Writing by Steve Gorman and Doina Chiacu; Editing by Howard Goller, Josie Kao and Stephen Coates

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps