The Francis Scott Key Bridge in Bmore just got hit by a ship & collapsed

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
This one of my real fears right here every time i drive cross a bridge the worse thoughts run through my head.. but to see this actually happen is crazy..

Damn r.i.p too them people..
Mine too. That would be so terrifying if u were in a car at that moment. I can swim, but I dunno if I could escape a car in that temperature water.

concise

Veteran
Daps
It makes no sense. The engineers never prepared for a situation where a ship could hit a column? How does that take down the whole thing? Keep sending money to Ukraine though.

How does it not make sense? The bridge was built in the 1970s. Ships have gotten bigger and heavier since then, like everything else, including cars, planes, buses, etc.

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I used to get on this bridge at times driving from Philly to DC...it's a scary bridge to drive as it is. You feel like you can drive off it with ease if you're not paying attention.

WHYYSSLRhPfS4dgDiWhQo01rpzxNkSATPEhQXdNXEy-kNjcziVfmFXIcwg4LWAOtYKtVfF_j6Kl0tkXodn0HW6kHOS4

How the fukk is a ship more powerful than a bridge that's supposed to hold the weight of several cars?!

Probably a dumb question, but are you telling me all it takes is ONE big ass ship to take down a bridge? Or was this particular bridge old?
It makes no sense. The engineers never prepared for a situation where a ship could hit a column? How does that take down the whole thing? Keep sending money to Ukraine though.

This is a cargo ship, they are like the heaviest man-made objects in the world...and this looks like a Post-Panamax cargo ship at that; the biggest cargoships in the world. They hold THOUSANDS of shipping containers all potentially weighing 60,000 pounds each.

This kinda boat will literally snap ALL bridges in the world like twigs with ease. There's not a bridge in the world that would NOT collapse from getting hit head on by a container ship.

Not only is this event gonna fukk Baltimore up for years, this IS gonna fukk up the US economy for years.

Imagine what the Suez canal boat that got stuck did, and that ONLY got stuck...Baltimore doesn't have as much traffic as the Suez, but it's the third biggest port on the east coast. Miami and NYC and some smaller ports aren't built to take all of Baltimore's traffic.

Once the power went here, they should've threw an anchor down.

RIP to the victims here. Power outage or not, there was some gross negligence here that broke protocol.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Mine too. That would be so terrifying if u were in a car at that moment. I can swim, but I dunno if I could escape a car in that temperature water.
Plus your car hits the water at a high velocity and debris is falling around and on top of you. Being able to swim at that point is the least of your concerns.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
The US government is suppressing this story HEAVILY. Only local news is really talking about it and they aren't even highlighting the deaths.

This should be state of emergency news, Biden's old ass should be addressing the nation right now.

This isn't even trending news on Google right now.
They’re going to have to sometime today. Give it time. People literally use that bridge(just looked that up.. unbelievable) I’m sure there’s a bunch of people that have no idea what’s going on. Let local news do the heavy lifting for right now, people need to watch the locals more anyway.

EDIT: it’s on CNN right now.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
I used to get on this bridge at times driving from Philly to DC...it's a scary bridge to drive as it is. You feel like you can drive off it with ease if you're not paying attention.

WHYYSSLRhPfS4dgDiWhQo01rpzxNkSATPEhQXdNXEy-kNjcziVfmFXIcwg4LWAOtYKtVfF_j6Kl0tkXodn0HW6kHOS4

This is a cargo ship, they are like the heaviest man-made objects in the world...and this looks like a Post-Panamax cargo ship at that; the biggest cargoships in the world. They hold THOUSANDS of shipping containers all potentially weighing 60,000 pounds each.

This kinda boat will literally snap ALL bridges in the world like twigs with ease. There's not a bridge in the world that would NOT collapse from getting hit head on by a container ship.

Not only is this event gonna fukk Baltimore up for years, this IS gonna fukk up the US economy for years.

Imagine what the Suez canal boat that got stuck did, and that ONLY got stuck...Baltimore doesn't have as much traffic as the Suez, but it's the third biggest port on the east coast. Miami and NYC and some smaller ports aren't built to take all of Baltimore's traffic.

Once the power went here, they should've threw an anchor down.

RIP to the victims here. Power outage or not, there was some gross negligence here that broke protocol.
was there really time for an anchor? the power failed and the bridge was hit in less than a minute or 2, serious question how fast do anchors work