Reppin
Above the fray.
prince-charles-breakdancing.gif

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not really about lack of identity but more of US soft power since US rap was mainstream in the UK & that’s basically what’s cool to emulate.

But back then, black British population was mostly Caribbean (especially Jamaican) & UK rap was an underground thing. The popping genres were jungle, baseline & then garage which came from Jamaican dubstep & ragga. Grime came later.

My era as a kid was mostly garage/baseline (then grime came), US rap & ragga/bashment (dancehall). But you still heard about Rodney P, Skinnyman, Rootz Manuva & Blak Twang (even Estelle) to PDC, LF, Choong Fam, Klashnekoff, etc. I think UK rap kind of went nuclear with Giggs in 07/08 & somewhat supplanted everything else.

Erm, UK drill is mostly a sophisticated/upgraded version of grime tbh albeit with influence from Chicago drill. They slowed the rhyme pattern like Chicago drill but the beat pattern (140bpm like grime) & kept basic lyrics style of grime but in a more nuanced way.

Also, I don’t condone violence but London has always been a violent city but it was more of gun violence than the big rambos they carry around today.

If you check the PYG & Gas Gang era (that was before Chicago drill, you can YouTube it). People were basically doing what all the London drill artists are doing today albeit they were doing normal rap & talking about shooting.

It’s just how it’s always been & hopefully things will change one day.
This guy knows his shyt

Joe black pdc were the first to do road rap ie rapping in English accents to my knowledge before then was all American ish shyt even some of PDc rapped in American accents. Jah Jah soze

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
This guy knows his shyt

Joe black pdc were the first to do road rap ie rapping in English accents to my knowledge before then was all American ish shyt even some of PDc rapped in American accents. Jah Jah soze
Yes, PDC was mostly American accent. But I won’t say Joe Black cos Giggs & OTB (Wooly Rd lot - Buck, Fix Dot’M & dem man) were doing road rap in British accent from like 05. But they weren’t known outside Peckham & Wooly Rd. until 07 when Giggs blew up with ‘Talkin da hardest’. Fem Fel as well.

I remember my uncle was part of those who shot the Peckham to Wooly Rd. hood documentary in 04 (he’s from Aylesbury Estate & he used to do a lot of passa passa videos back then). This is the hood documentary:

Then you had roadside gs albeit they were a mix of road rap on grime beats. LF - Margs, Hypo (RIP) & dem man were also rapping in British accent. Ditto Mike GLC.

So I won’t say Joe Black was the first. But he was definitely the nicest.

Edit: you have to put Northstar in there as well.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, PDC was mostly American accent. But I won’t say Joe Black cos Giggs & OTB (Wooly Rd lot - Buck, Fix Dot’M & dem man) were doing road rap in British accent from like 05. But they weren’t known outside Peckham & Wooly Rd. until 07 when Giggs blew up with ‘Talkin da hardest’. Fem Fel as well.

I remember my uncle was part of those who shot the Peckham to Wooly Rd. hood documentary in 04 (he’s from Aylesbury Estate & he used to do a lot of passa passa videos back then). This is the hood documentary:

Then you had roadside gs albeit they were a mix of road rap on grime beats. LF - Margs, Hypo (RIP) & dem man were also rapping in British accent. Ditto Mike GLC.

So I won’t say Joe Black was the first. But he was definitely the nicest.

Edit: you have to put Northstar in there as well.

Out of interest, what did the passa passa dvds graduate to? or is it just not a thing no more. That was the lick back in 2006.

Point taken bout Giggs n dem ones, didnt hear bout them til 06 times.

I've definitely heard Joe Black freestyles from 2005. This was his bredrin JLove and he died 06, and they were making rao then.

And tbh above all this, if we're really talking UK road rap, I'd have to say Mike GLC ya kno.

This dropped in 2004, and I can honestly say he was the first to be rapping hood shyt over american beats if I deep it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s obvious this isn’t the first because these dudes can actually rap. Clearly seen was happening over there before this

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Out of interest, what did the passa passa dvds graduate to? or is it just not a thing no more. That was the lick back in 2006.

Point taken bout Giggs n dem ones, didnt hear bout them til 06 times.

I've definitely heard Joe Black freestyles from 2005. This was his bredrin JLove and he died 06, and they were making rao then.

And tbh above all this, if we're really talking UK road rap, I'd have to say Mike GLC ya kno.

This dropped in 2004, and I can honestly say he was the first to be rapping hood shyt over american beats if I deep it.

They stopped doing it at the peak of all the shootings in London in 06/07 when trident got hyperactive & was locking everything off. There used to be a club at Elephant & Castle where they shoot videos just after the bridge & bagel king, when you come into Elephant & Castle from Wooly Rd. It got locked of by Trident due to multiple shootings. There was a next one they used as well in North Greenwich just by where o2 arena is now (o2 arena wasn’t there back then) - it also got locked off by Trident for shootings. Also, in that hood video, there’s a guy with a lot of cameos - that’s’Nerves’. That’s his younger & he got killed around the same time.

Giggs & SN1 were about from like 05 but they were only known in Narm/Wooly. People tend to forget how regional London used to be & if you’re not on Channel U, most people outside your endz won’t know you. Talkin’ Da Hardest was the 1st road rap that went national all over the UK without Channel U. YouTube wasn’t even a thing back then.

I think the first time I heard Joe Blacks was on a LF tape with Margs & he was nice. I don’t really know J.Lova. I know Squeeks tho.

Yes, Mike GLC is definitely one of the pioneers of road rap. I remember during school times whenever we trocadero in central Ldn - Mike GLC used to be out there in Oxford Circus by GAP shotting his CDs. And that’s like 05 times.

Classic tune! :wow: This tune, My Life & he ft on a tune with Choong fam called ‘Solitude’ - used to be on repeat.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
They stopped doing it at the peak of all the shootings in London in 06/07 when trident got hyperactive & was locking everything off. There used to be a club at Elephant & Castle where they shoot videos just after the bridge & bagel king, when you come into Elephant & Castle from Wooly Rd. It got locked of by Trident due to multiple shootings. There was a next one they used as well in North Greenwich just by where o2 arena is now (o2 arena wasn’t there back then) - it also got locked off by Trident for shootings. Also, in that hood video, there’s a guy with a lot of cameos - that’s’Nerves’. That’s his younger & he got killed around the same time.

Giggs & SN1 were about from like 05 but they were only known in Narm/Wooly. People tend to forget how regional London used to be & if you’re not on Channel U, most people outside your endz won’t know you. Talkin’ Da Hardest was the 1st road rap that went national all over the UK without Channel U. YouTube wasn’t even a thing back then.

I think the first time I heard Joe Blacks was on a LF tape with Margs & he was nice. I don’t really know J.Lova. I know Squeeks tho.

Yes, Mike GLC is definitely one of the pioneers of road rap. I remember during school times whenever we trocadero in central Ldn - Mike GLC used to be out there in Oxford Circus by GAP shotting his CDs. And that’s like 05 times.

Classic tune! :wow: This tune, My Life & he ft on a tune with Choong fam called ‘Solitude’ - used to be on repeat.
I use to get put onto different artist from rwd forum

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps

Peck'narm

Jeeze this brings back memories. I grew up with Nathaniel (Giggs) and knew his fam. And my fam was involved in the music scene around then. Especially the rap and grime scenes.

I remember when you'd hit Channel U you would know you'd made it on street-level recognition.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The beat goes hard

Early 90's hip-hop era :wow:

SW all day :salute:

Last edited: