The first uk rap video

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
I'm not gonna front . I cannot, for the life of me, understand what they are saying. They might as well be speaking dutch in a fresh prince accent . Like only one dude in their whole crew is enunciating:dead:
you must be a cracka because most of their chat is jamican/patois mix with english..

Last edited:

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
Straight swagger jacking "Yanks"

Thank us later

Beat is nice though :obama:
To my understanding alot of black British people felt like they had no "identity". Most of the ones born there in that time parents were mostly from the Caribbean or Africa and alot of people back home didn't consider them "authentic" Nigerians, Jamaicans, Ghanaians etc (where they were from). British people obviously didn't consider them authentic Britains because they were black. The only black people on tv constantly like that were rappers and athletes. So alot of black British cats just modeled themselves after that.

I could be wrong though:yeshrug:

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Joke?

Albums and videos from Brit rappers from the 1980s are up on youtube.

Was gonna say....:skip:

I've always bigged up London Posse because they rapped with a homegrown accent (and still had that '93 flow) authentic to where we're from and how we spoke at the time when most other British rappers around that were rapping American style like a couple of dudes I used to know back in the day Funky DL and Iceberg Slimm.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
prince-charles-breakdancing.gif

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
:whoa:

A large amount of DJs came from my area as well as Kool FM.
you can embrace whoever you like, but keep it real in hindsight, Hip Hop got pushed aside and this quick fast wack movement came and went over there..
jungle is a mess, drum n base is trash and now you have crazy amalgmations of horrible subcultural music like 2 step and fukk knows what now ??

I guess Soul/RNB is dead over there too? UK gave the world some great music man, once upon a time that was..including some dope dope hip hop.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Was gonna say....:skip:

I've always bigged up London Posse because they rapped with a homegrown accent (and still had that '93 flow) authentic to where we're from and how we spoke at the time when most other British rappers around that were rapping American style like a couple of dudes I used to know back in the day Funky DL and Iceberg Slimm.

That subreddit user or channel seems to be the Brit version of vlad, misinformation and exploiting beefs. Just clicked it and it's nonsense. "This rapper just died yesterday, his rival is mocking it already".

Shame on them for that, and upping the vid and labeling it as first UK rap video (in 93)

Thanks to Uncle Ralph Mcdaniels, if anybody was making hip hop records and videos in the early era we saw and heard it at least once.

Some early acts from everywhere were copying NY rappers, not just Brits. To get deals, DJ spins, and audience acceptance that's what they thought they had to do. Eventually each scene developed their own sound and style. And like you said, hometown forever LOVES the first crew that really represents.

Last edited:

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
To my understanding alot of black British people felt like they had no "identity". Most of the ones born there in that time parents were mostly from the Caribbean or Africa and alot of people back home didn't consider them "authentic" Nigerians, Jamaicans, Ghanaians etc (where they were from). British people obviously didn't consider them authentic Britains because they were black. The only black people on tv constantly like that were rappers and athletes. So alot of black British cats just modeled themselves after that.

I could be wrong though:yeshrug:

Not really about lack of identity but more of US soft power since US rap was mainstream in the UK & that’s basically what’s cool to emulate.

But back then, black British population was mostly Caribbean (especially Jamaican) & UK rap was an underground thing. The popping genres were jungle, baseline & then garage which came from Jamaican dubstep & ragga. Grime came later.

My era as a kid was mostly garage/baseline (then grime came), US rap & ragga/bashment (dancehall). But you still heard about Rodney P, Skinnyman, Rootz Manuva & Blak Twang (even Estelle) to PDC, LF, Choong Fam, Klashnekoff, etc. I think UK rap kind of went nuclear with Giggs in 07/08 & somewhat supplanted everything else.

Breh I joke on the wave when they were going hard on the Grime. Now all of them goofies trying to out Chicago Drill each other with knife work and nonsense.

Erm, UK drill is mostly a sophisticated/upgraded version of grime tbh albeit with influence from Chicago drill. They slowed the rhyme pattern like Chicago drill but the beat pattern (140bpm like grime) & kept basic lyrics style of grime but in a more nuanced way.

Also, I don’t condone violence but London has always been a violent city but it was more of gun violence than the big rambos they carry around today.

If you check the PYG & Gas Gang era (that was before Chicago drill, you can YouTube it). People were basically doing what all the London drill artists are doing today albeit they were doing normal rap & talking about shooting.

It’s just how it’s always been & hopefully things will change one day.