The End of Black Harlem

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
This has been going on for a while now. The Bronx are were the minorities in NYC are moving to, the least desired borough to live in by the numbers. Leaving NYC? Jersey

Washington Heights, you are next. Here are some of the big businesses that now all of a sudden love the Heights:
GameStop
7-11
Starbucks
Bank of America

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
This has been going on for a while now. The Bronx are were the minorities in NYC are moving to, the least desired borough to live in by the numbers. Leaving NYC? Jersey

Washington Heights, you are next. Here are some of the big businesses that now all of a sudden love the Heights:
GameStop
7-11
Starbucks
Bank of America

Black folks going wherever the train lines don't work too well. You can gentrify bed stuy sure, but Brownsville? :heh:

It's an all around complex issue. The reality is my youth was spent going to Harlem to buy weed. shyt was dangerous and in a way I contributed to that problem. Harlem wasn't desirable then, yes it had culture and style that I loved, but it had that undercurrent of evil that poverty brings.

Poverty makes you want to leave your environment, not stay and invest in it. And even if you did try to invest, with what resources? White flight drains the economy, and drugs and lack of basic services like regular garbage collection turn the place to hell. The price bottoms out, whites return and the poor get kicked out. Saying "we need" doesn't solve this issue.

Pitfalls0117

Invokana Trump
Daps
Reppin
NJ->BOS->DC
At first I assumed displacement in the city would lead black people to move to places like Newark but even there the seeds for future gentrification are being sown.

I personally think that suburban poverty is about to become a major part of American life. There was a thread on it in Atlanta but it's coming for the rest of the country and especially the northeast. It's not new either: east orange and Irvington were both Jewish neighborhoods in the 30s and 40s, but now they're basically extensions of Newark demographically

Mikael Blowpiff

#LosIngobernabrehs
Daps
I live in Harlem so I laugh when I see people post shyt like there ain't no black people left here. Granted there are more whites in certain areas than let's say 5 years ago but blacks still out number
harlem has been at least 20-35 percent black going back to when the dutch came over and got finessed by the lenape. everyone should read jonathan gill's harlem.

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
I was in newark early today and I seen some hipsters having a cookout in the front of their brown. It was like 3 whites 1 asian and 1 mixed black dude. They had a squad car right the street. Meanwhile 2 miles up the road im sure it's gonna be a murder during a cookout.

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
At first I assumed displacement in the city would lead black people to move to places like Newark but even there the seeds for future gentrification are being sown.

I personally think that suburban poverty is about to become a major part of American life. There was a thread on it in Atlanta but it's coming for the rest of the country and especially the northeast. It's not new either: east orange and Irvington were both Jewish neighborhoods in the 30s and 40s, but now they're basically extensions of Newark demographically
You mean all the black people from newark will move to east orange, irvington. Newark is gonna be gone soon, shyt we already lost ironbound

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
Either too poor to own or those of us who do have money, want to stunt on other Blacks.

Hate to use a movie as an example, but i just had to smh @ mitch in paid in full. He could buy all these cars and jewelz, go out every night, play paper bag basketball games for 10 racks, yet was layed up in his momma's apartment, sharing a room with his funky ass brother, Sonny

:snoop:

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
If you don't own the housing how do you lay claim to any area? It was only a matter of time. People in the suburbs would rather live in the city now because it's closer to work and safer than before.

If you notice now politicians are pushing government housing programs for the poor to move to the suburbs. What people don't realize is one these poor tenants move into these "nice" suburbs the old tenants are going to move. What you're going to have left is rundown suburbs that were once upper class areas. Believe it or not, if you a kid in the projects in Manhattan or close you really have it better opportunity wise than most. You're closer to the money and access to other resources.
Being geographically close doesn't mean their any closer to resources.

x2y

SOHH Stupid
Supporter
Daps

GameStop
7-11
Starbucks
Bank of America
+ Dominoes and footlocker