The Detroit Lions are gonna WAX the Kansas City Chiefs on opening night. Official TNF Game Thread.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
yeah, the Mahomes thing is crazy. I was watching get up this morning on ESPN and they put a graphic up showing like 7 to 8 quarterbacks in the league or making more than him. I’m pretty much sure if they can’t get him any help offensively he ain’t gonna be taken less money on his next contract

On his next contract?

Dude probably isn't getting a next contract unless he holds out and demands that they rework his existing deal

Edit: I guess they could probably add years on the existing deal at a crazy amount to bump his average up and have him under contract until hes 40. But that seems unlikely

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I learned something a lil.while back, you can only restructure your contract so much..there is a limit to it. They gave DHop a lowball offer because thats all they had and thars before the Chris Jones drama. I dont know their situation, through and through, but I know that they let Tyreek go to save, let Orlando Brown Jr leave for bread, cut Frank Clark to save money and they have yet to sign CJ95. Mahomes is an extremely grounded player, but eventually he may want an increase as he keeps watching all these inferior players get paid way more than him. Kelce has already admitted that he feels some type of way about his salary.
Tyreek was offered a good deal...he just found a better one in Miami. Miami overpaid. (I'm happy Tyreek got the deal he got though) And they (Chiefs) believed Tyreek should have given them a discount because they stuck with him through some truly dark allegations.

OBJ was a let down. He was a serviceable LT, but they felt like they could get similar production cheaper.

Frank Clark, was injury prone, and had off the field issues. Good playoff player, but justifying paying him what he wanted all year was iffy. And he's 30.

With CJ, he hasn't just been traded already because he's worth negotiating with. But people seem to think you can created salary cap room out of thin air. They still have to pay other people. Also, CJ's side leaked that he wanted Aaron Donald money at first, now they backtracked to another lower number. Chris Jones's agents have been playing games with these negotiations themselves.

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Tyreek was offered a good deal...he just found a better one in Miami. Miami overpaid. (I'm happy Tyreek got the deal he got though) And they (Chiefs) believed Tyreek should have given them a discount because they stuck with him through some truly dark allegations.

OBJ was a let down. He was a serviceable LT, but they felt like they could get similar production cheaper.

Frank Clark, was injury prone, and had off the field issues. Good playoff player, but justifying paying him what he wanted all year was iffy. And he's 30.

With CJ, he hasn't just been traded already because he's worth negotiating with. But people seem to think you can created salary cap room out of thin air. They still have to pay other people. Also, CJ's side leaked that he wanted Aaron Donald money at first, now they backtracked to another lower number. Chris Jones's agents have been playing games with these negotiations themselves.
You think something gets done this week?

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
yeah, the Mahomes thing is crazy. I was watching get up this morning on ESPN and they put a graphic up showing like 7 to 8 quarterbacks in the league or making more than him. I’m pretty much sure if they can’t get him any help offensively he ain’t gonna be taken less money on his next contract
The thing is the "team-friendly" aspect of Mahomes' deal is that he's locked in for 9 more years, so as QB contracts naturally escalate to 60m, 65m, 70m per his deal is gonna stay stagnant. That's not gonna really benefit the team as far as cap space until years from now when the cap continues to rise. In 2022 he had the 2nd highest QB cap hit (35.7m) and in 2023 he has the highest (39.6m) compared to :

Hurts - 6.1m
Herbert - 8.4m
Burrow - 11.5m
Lamar - 22.1m

So yeah, all these QBs are technically paid more per year but new contracts are always easier to manipulate at the start and soften the numbers. Mahomes being multiple years into his deal is why those cheap years are done and that "team-friendly" space to add pieces doesn't really exist yet.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
You think something gets done this week?
yeah. I don't think Chris Jones flew in purely for that charity event and to "watch the superbowl banner go up". I think they here to get it done. And like i said, they already lowkey backtracked on the "Aaron Donald money" thing.

• Dap
Reactions: 315

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
We need to start a discussion about Jacksonville messing up and drafting Travon Walker over Aiden Hutchinson.
:ufdup:
Still time for Travon to put it together, and he looked good in the joint practices between us a few weeks ago. But man, Hutchinson looks like he's on another level. Looks significantly stronger than he was last year, looks faster, and no longer looks like an awkward white guy out there. He looks like a Bosa brother now lol.

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
On his next contract?

Dude probably isn't getting a next contract unless he holds out and demands that they rework his existing deal

Edit: I guess they could probably add years on the existing deal at a crazy amount to bump his average up and have him under contract until hes 40. But that seems unlikely
That's exactly what they're gonna do and it's the easiest fix possible that makes him happy and cleans up the optics of his name being phased out of these top 10 QB salary lists.

It's the same thing the Eagles did with Lane Johnson this offseason, one new year at 33.4m but overall his deal is 4/80m and still a huge bargain. Adding a 1/$60m to Mahomes current contract isn't gonna hurt their longterm flexibility at all.

VegetasHairline

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
CACS
Im with you. If Im underpaid, and my running mate is too, where is the bread going? Also the Chiefs have won so much that the bad drafting was ignored..in a loaded WR class in 2019, they get Hardman, when wayy better players were drafted after. DK Metcalf, Terry McLaurin went after Hardman. Can you imagine Mahomes with Hill, Metcalf and Kelce?? That wouldve been frightening!!! They couldve drafted Jonathan Taylor in 2020, instead of CEH.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Im with you. If Im underpaid, and my running mate is too, where is the bread going? Also the Chiefs have won so much that the bad drafting was ignored..in a loaded WR class in 2019, they get Hardman, when wayy better players were drafted after. DK Metcalf, Terry McLaurin went after Hardman. Can you imagine Mahomes with Hill, Metcalf and Kelce?? That wouldve been frightening!!! They couldve drafted Jonathan Taylor in 2020, instead of CEH.
Hardman was drafted right there as an insurance policy for Tyreek because this was that offseason when all that shyt went down with the secret recording and the local media trying to lie on Tyreek. If that didn't happen Hardman would have never been drafted here (or at least in that spot). His whole existence in KC next to Tyreek was redundancy.

premier58

All Star
Daps
Hardman was drafted right there as an insurance policy for Tyreek because this was that offseason when all that shyt went down with the secret recording and the local media trying to lie on Tyreek. If that didn't happen Hardman would have never been drafted here (or at least in that spot). His whole existence in KC next to Tyreek was redundancy.
You know what, I remember now. They were trying to turn the heat up on Reek. Alot ppl thought that.he would be suspended and that Kansas City wouldnt sign him.

premier58

All Star
Daps

I wasnt saying that I disagreed with the moves, though..i was just wondering where the money is going to,.if they keep making all these cost cutting moves. Tyreek is my guy, but in that situation, he couldve rewarded them for their loyalty by being loyal. He was on the verge of being persona non grata. I know more than anyone how mediocre Frank Clark is..definitely wasnt critiquing that move from a quality/production standpoint. and I know OBJ isnt Willie Roaf in training, but they got his money off the books. Andy Reid shouldve stepped out of his comfort zone(drafting Desean Jackson/Jeremy Maclin types) and an SEC monster like D.K. Metcalf and developed him..prior to KC,.his most dominant offense was the 2004 Eagles with TO, who DK shares some similarities with.