THE DARK TOWER - (Official Thread)

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Not sure how to feel about this. First they cast idris which automatically changes parts of the story, then they're starting in the middle now adding a female character not in the books.

Movie may turn out well but it's not gonna be like the books at all.

Indeed. Looks like its going a different direction, somewhat.

I'm not familiar with this story, but I'm curious about it, especially with coli brehs giving it the thumbs up. :jbhmm:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
lol are you all now complaining about casting a black dude as a white character?

I for one am furious.

trollq34_zpsrw3mdhn6.gif

Fred.

Suspicious Dingo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sydney, Austalia
As a Stephen King stan, I am ECSTATIC that they are finally adapting this series for the screen (although it did fall off pretty hard after Wolves of the Calla). I'm not sure how I feel about Elba as Roland - not because he's black; I feel like a lot of the racial tension between him and Susannah could be handled in a different way, perhaps not involving race at all. What bothers me is the fact that Roland is supposed to be an older, run-down, emaciated gunslinger, whose physical appearance is an extension of the dying world in which he lives. He most certainly is NOT a big, buff (pause), handsome (double pause) movie star. Having said that, Randall Flagg is the role Matthew McConaughey WAS BORN TO PLAY and I will be in the theater opening day with my ka-tet.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Well,when a huge sub plot and character revolves around the fact that Roland is white,yes. Its changes for the sake of changes.

But the more I read the less this sounds anything like the books.
I mean, all of Stephen King's book to movie adaptations have been in some ways completely different from the book. All I care about is having quality actors. I haven't read the book, is there something more to it other than a character calling him cracker and shyt?

Suspicious Dingo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sydney, Austalia
I mean, all of Stephen King's book to movie adaptations have been in some ways completely different from the book. All I care about is having quality actors. I haven't read the book, is there something more to it other than a character calling him cracker and shyt?

Man she calls him 'honky' and 'cracker' like 4 times, and even then it's less about racial tension than setting her character up as a nasty piece of work. It's really not a huge deal.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Bardem is Spanish, but he sure as hell does not refer to himself as white in any world. He has always referred to himself as Hispanic and talks about how Hispanic people need more roles. So no he is NOT white.
How the fukk is he hispanic? He's SPANISH. nikka is actually from Spain. He's white as they come. If he ain't white. Columbus ain't white.