The CW announces Javicia Leslie will be the new Batwoman

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

don't disagree with the overall point but im fairly certain they did the same thing when they casted Ruby Rose

Yup.

I mean, when the show was created last year, a big deal was made that the character that would be Batwoman was lesbian and that she would be played by a lesbian actress, Ruby Rose, who is white.

Ruby Rose 'emotional' to play lesbian Batwoman

Ruby Rose will play the first openly lesbian lead superhero in a new TV production of Batwoman.

The Australian actress will play the title lead in a new series on The CW Network in America.

The series will see Batwoman's alter ego Kate Kane portrayed as a lesbian, and is expected to air in late 2019/early 2020.

Kate Kane has been openly gay since 2006, in an effort by DC Comics to make its publications more diverse.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
I'd rather them create a whole new character or story arc, then just incorporate black characters into already established roles...IJS :hubie:

Same way, IDC for a MFn Anthony Mackie to takeover Captain America...:mjpls:

Its never been about handouts or charity with me. Its just about fairness, equality, and gettin a fair shake. Thats what these out of touch cacs, continue to miss...:mjpls:

When you open these kinds of doors, then cacs will be comin to you down the line, talkin bout..."Why not a White Panther or white SHAFT?" :skip:

:francis:

Except once again that's not how it works. Look at Robin, It's been like 3 robins. Ain't got shyt to do with race it's an easier sell to market a known product. It's the reason almost every MAJOR character has had a derivative based around that character. Most famously Spider-man, then maybe Wolverine, but Batman, The Flash, Deadpool, The Hulk, etc....New characters are always a harder sell. Same way complain about new IP's in film.

Phitz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do ya'll not notice how comics in general work? There is very rarely a new IP that catches on without being attached to an already existing character. Why you think its like 20 spider-mans and 4 wolverines and multiple Supermen. It's a lot easier to make a new Superman and make him Black than it is to make a Black character who is original.

That doesn't mean it's digestible or makes more sense either. It's lazy... period

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
That doesn't mean it's digestible or makes more sense either. It's lazy... period

:deadmanny: How is it lazy if people don't purchase or wont purchase new IP's? You telling me Mile Morales isn't digestible? Or Damien Wayne? or John Stewart? all of those characters have been well developed outside of the characters they were generated from.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
I actually concur with the point made about the whole bisexuality bit. A lot of black female roles have a gay angle these days. It’s further undercuts our femininity.

She’s gorgeous tho, so at least there’s that. But hopefully she won’t end up having to make a grueling decision between a white male or female love interest b/c they just can’t have too much blkness on the screen at once:comeon:
Ya’ll know how they do.

Love the hair btw

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
She is to my knowledge an entirely new character just she will be taking up the mantle of batwoman, it's happened before in comics i don't see the problem it's not like shes a black Kate shes literally an entirely different person in Gotham.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
I understand you but making a new superhero that people will care about is impossible at this point

Exactly, It's like coming up with a new fighting game in 2020 If that shyt ain't got Ryu, Scorpion, Law, Some X-Men, Voldo, Ayane, Goku, you might as well not even develop that shyt. It's way too late to the party.

Tryna Makit

High plains drifter
Daps
Im all for this as its not a character i care about...but I dont think its gonna work lol..