The cost of games in the 90’s

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This thread has been made before, but it is truth that gaming is cheap compared to historical prices and the cost for other entertainment.

but we all know this is just a stealth returnal defense thread @Gizmo_Duck :ufdup:

The conversation around returnals price is comparing it to other recent/modern games.

Historical game prices have absolutely nothing to do with that convo.

Do better Sony stan brehs :mjlol:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Luckily, I didn’t start buying my own games until ps1/2 era. I think games were like 50-70 bucks then.

I honestly can’t remember cuz I was so broke I hardly bought anything on release day. :mjcry:

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I remember pops coppin us Street Fighter 2 for SNES. When he saw that $89 price he said that this will be both of our Christmas and birthday gifts and also ain’t gettin shyt for the remainder of the year. Favorite food included.

we agreed

:mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I remember pops coppin us Street Fighter 2 for SNES. When he saw that $89 price he said that this will be both of our Christmas and birthday gifts and also ain’t gettin shyt for the remainder of the year. Favorite food included.

we agreed

I would have made the same deal:handshake:

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I would have made the same deal:handshake:

problem was we thought he’d forget and we got bored of that shyt after a month.

when Christmas came through, all the gifts under the tree were for my sisters and moms only.

Pops looked at us like

:mjpls: while drinking his coffee.

My brother and I knew wassup

:mjcry:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

we agreed

Man, me and my bro used to get 3 games a year. One for each of our birthdays and one for Christmas.

Used to be one of the biggest decisions of our lives, and we would play them shyts for years to come.

Kids got it so easy these days. My kids spoiled as fukk they literally got all the Mario games(and everything else)I played for 20+ years at their fingertips. They don’t even know how good they got it :wow:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
problem was we thought he’d forget and we got bored of that shyt after a month.

when Christmas came through, all the gifts under the tree were for my sisters and moms only.

Pops looked at us like

:mjpls: while drinking his coffee.

My brother and I knew wassup

:mjcry:

:russ:

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
The high cost of gaming in the 90s was largely because of the cost to produce cartridges. Printing games on a CD was significantly cheaper , so when the PS1 came out in the mid 90s, the pricing reflected that.

Yeah I think a cartridge cost like over $10 to produce - and Nintendo would take a large as cut of the game revenue. Plus shipping costs were expensive as well.

While CD's would cost I think literal cents to make - and Sony took a lower percent of the cut. While shipping costs were way lower.

That's why PS1 games were like what, no more that $52 at release? and many even at $39? And went on sale quicker? And quicker to make copies and develop for so it had more games?

That, plus the fact that at that time, you could still make a high-quality game with a team of like 15 people - PlayStation was always going to dominate.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
no matter how you slice it, selling games on CD for a little less was a bigger rip-off. it probably cost at least 10x more to manufacture a cartridge

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah I think a cartridge cost like over $10 to produce - and Nintendo would take a large as cut of the game revenue. Plus shipping costs were expensive as well.

While CD's would cost I think literal cents to make - and Sony took a lower percent of the cut. While shipping costs were way lower.

That's why PS1 games were like what, no more that $52 at release? and many even at $39? And went on sale quicker? And quicker to make copies and develop for so it had more games?

That, plus the fact that at that time, you could still make a high-quality game with a team of like 15 people - PlayStation was always going to dominate.

I remember a lot of PSX games being 39.99

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Can't really compare prices back then to now because memory (EPROM, etc.) was expensive as fukk in the 90's and manufacturing costs and retailer cuts were a lot higher back then.

The reasons I just said, especially the memory thing.

Fred.

True. But the costs of developing a game are astronomically higher now than then. I think that's a bit of a trade off, at least.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
True. But the costs of developing a game are astronomically higher now than then. I think that's a bit of a trade off, at least.

Over all I agree but the main difference now is somebody can make a game with no backing and a small team and create a hit. Due to how accessible technology is, the internet, etc.

That was impossible in the 90's.

Fred.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Man, me and my bro used to get 3 games a year. One for each of our birthdays and one for Christmas.

Used to be one of the biggest decisions of our lives, and we would play them shyts for years to come.

Kids got it so easy these days. My kids spoiled as fukk they literally got all the Mario games(and everything else)I played for 20+ years at their fingertips. They don’t even know how good they got it :wow:

Same. I'd get 2-4 at most a year. Maybe 5 if I got honor roll. I'd get like 1 for birthday and 2-3 tops for Christmas. I'd start to get a lil more during 3d/cd era, as the game price did get more consistent and slightly cheaper, so I'd get maybe 5-6 games a year. I definitely beat a game dozens of times back then, as opposed to now.

In some ways, due to all that, I felt more appreciative of a single game back then. But I also find a greater sense of appreciation of games as a whole now.