The cost of games in the 90’s

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Can't really compare prices back then to now because memory (EPROM, etc.) was expensive as fukk in the 90's and manufacturing costs and retailer cuts were a lot higher back then.

how the fukk was Phantasy Star 99.99??

The reasons I just said, especially the memory thing.

Fred.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
It’s crazy to think that games not only have come down in price, they’ve stayed there...as inflation ticked up the cost of everything other entertainment medium.

I hate micro transactions but I remember that this static $60 price tag is why they exist

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
In reality the only thing “wrong” with game prices is that they are all the same.

Devs should be able to price their games based off their own investment and sales estimates. But instead they are forced to make their game fit in one of the already predetermined boxes I.E. AAA, indie, FTP, etc.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The high cost of gaming in the 90s was largely because of the cost to produce cartridges. Printing games on a CD was significantly cheaper , so when the PS1 came out in the mid 90s, the pricing reflected that.

Still the price was ridiculous. It didnt' cost THAT damn much to make a cartridge. Nintendo and dem were straight fleecing nikkaz. And you also gotta factor in game development costs then as well.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
E0JQru6WQAMFGQe

We were really starving breh:feedme:

Thank god for gamepass senior, blockbuster video:blessed:
Blockbuster was a life saver, until years later and I experienced sega channel.

Also that's a banger lineup in that AD

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Still the price was ridiculous. It didnt' cost THAT damn much to make a cartridge. Nintendo and dem were straight fleecing nikkaz. And you also gotta factor in game development costs then as well.
Nah it costed alot based on videos from devs and companies, and it varies heavily depending on what chipset was used for games also