The Coli's top 10 Mystery/Suspense Voting Thread. Vol: Edge of My Seat, Breh

blazn101

TPC life..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
really enjoyed don't look now.. that ending was crazy

Mr ripley I loved on the first viewing.. but the 2nd viewing i was like :scust: it seemed a bit ridiculous

blood simple is dope too
haven't seen bad seed..i'ma peep because i love movies like that :heh:

Bad Seed is dope bro, i think you're going to like it.
I need to check out Blood simple..

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Brehs one more suggestion:

Suddenly, Last Summer

First off Elizabeth Taylor is hot as fukk in this movie. Second I'm stunned it came out in 1959, some of the themes it covers or hints at were quite taboo at the time. Very good suspense film. Very theatrical as it's based on a play but don't sleep on this brehs. Don't watch the trailer!

I just peeped the screencap of her :whew:

Speaking of , I forgot how fine scarlett johanssen was in The Prestige..back when she still had t*ts and was wearing corsets in the flick :ohlawd:

idk what was wrong with me back then but she wasn't on my radar at all

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
Dario Argento flicks, old school Giallo films. I really want to get more into the sub genre, those Italian directors bunch of creative stuff. Check out the plots to some of Argento's films they suck you in and are such simple set ups but the stories are good.

Tenebre

The Bird with the Crystal Plummage

Suspiria

Four Flies on Grey Velvet(Also Argento along with The Cat O' Nine Tails worth a watch too)

Deep Red

Opera

Similar plots right? But they all change up when you watch them. It proves that you can take a simple idea and use it in different ways to get different results. Just don't marathon watch them, you might start to get sick of the genre. I love it though.

There's other Giallo films I haven't even seen yet(by other Directors like Mario Bava) but the plots sound interesting and I've heard good things about them. I want to watch them eventually.

I also recommend Agatha Christie who I haven't even jumped into fully, she writes a Mystery/Suspense and Detective stories and they have been adapted into several films and tv series.

Yep, unappreciated film. Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors along with Tarantino(who many would say me being black that I shouldn't like some of his film dialogue and I agree he does go overboard with nikka on some films but man I just enjoy his whole film catalog so much.) Even stuff like Death Proof which many people hated, I really enjoyed it. The stuff he does in his films, the plots, the creativity, same with Hitchcock even though are two completely different types of directors.

Speaking of Hitchcock I have to give another shoutout to another one of his films I feel is under appreciated.

Frenzy_movieposter.jpg

Man this movie was so good but rarely talk about it when discussing Hitchcock. You can't even tell people to look up the film because google ruins one of the best shots in the film. And man the ENDING of the film is one of my favorites ever. The way the credits just come in, I don't even wanna say anything to ruin it but the film is great.

Speaking of endings the way Rope ends is so powerful.
The way Jimmy Stewart is talking to them like children "DID YOU THINK YOU WERE GOD?!" and then the sirens come in.
Great film.
i find it interesting that you highlight the plots when i find those to be one of the worst features of dario's movies. in deep red, the plot barely makes any sense. if it were truly as simple as the description, it would have been a perfect movie.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
1. Taxi Driver
2. Psycho
3.Usual Suspects
4. No Country for Old Men
5. Se7en
6. Vertigo
7. The Prestige
8. Silence of the Lambs
9. Clue
10. Prisoners

honorable mention:
Phone Booth
Rear Window
12 Monkeys
Argo (loved it)
Cape Fear

(I woulda had sixth sense but somebody ruined it for me)

for your HM.. original cape fear or the 91 deniro one?

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
seven
the usual suspects
the sixth sense
the prestige
memento
the girl with the dragon tattoo (either version)
inception
zodiac
silence of the lambs
i saw the devil

honorable mentions: old boy, primal fear, no country for old men
say breh you have 2 more honorable mentions?

I'm starting to calculate things

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
TOP 10

1. blade runner
2. chinatown
3. blow out
4. la confidential
5. the town that dreaded sundown
6. le samourai
7. touch of evil
8. mullholland drive
9. blue velvet
10. donnie darko

HONORABLE MENTION

1. deep red
2. zodiac
3. north by northwest
4. strangers on a train
5. night of the hunter

OBSERVATIONS...

wow, david lynch got two on my list!
holy shyt, hitchcock is only in the honorable mentions, but at least he is there twice, LOL
cant believe a scifi flick is at the top of the list but it is noir enough to fit (i almost put videodrome in here)
i dissed dario argento's plotting skills, but deep red is worth the mention
zodiac was almost great, but it is just missing something to take it over the edge...

methaphorce

Rookie
Daps
:banderas:

you're the only other person to mention that one besides me. I almost put it on my top 10 over memento, but regulated to HM

My father is is a very dedicated and metaphoric director in my country! I got a university degree as a film director too, but i just can't consider myself a director yet! To be great at that profession i think you need to have lived enough!
When i watched that movie i was stunned.... So simplistic, so brutal in it's honesty and so creative in making me believe in the story!
The scene where the victim's boyfriend says: "YOU PROMISED ME A LIFE SENTENCE" and you see the little jail cell in the country side is just :dwillhuh:...

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
i find it interesting that you highlight the plots when i find those to be one of the worst features of dario's movies. in deep red, the plot barely makes any sense. if it were truly as simple as the description, it would have been a perfect movie.
Really? I remember following it well enough.

I was along for the ride and I didn't get too confused years ago. I would have remembered that and not even listed it. I do also believe there's 2 different versions of some of his films where they cut things out and it messes up how the plot was originally supposed to be understood. There was a version of Tenebre that cut out a whole death scene, IIRC. Since a lot of his films were so violent, it's like they cut out too much some times and characters die but it's only mentioned by dialogue later in some versions because they cut the death scene out.

Last edited:

methaphorce

Rookie
Daps
:banderas:

you're the only other person to mention that one besides me. I almost put it on my top 10 over memento, but regulated to HM

The director in your avi, though... Quickly rose in my top ranks! Pure cinematography genius! :salute: