The Coli's top 10 Mystery/Suspense Voting Thread. Vol: Edge of My Seat, Breh

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
They are all considered classics so you need to own all these movies, except Elephant, which is a good movie but not a classic like the others
i'll definitely peep.. it seems most of them lean more horror so that's why i haven't seen em since i'm slacking on that side of 60s/70s films..but i def will peep

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
just finished the prestige. first time seeing it since back in the day :wow:

I prefer it to Memento as an overall movie, but for the purposes of this list Memento gets my nod. I took out rosemary's baby for it

Last edited:

blazn101

TPC life..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
just finished the prestige. first time seeing it since back in the day :wow:

I prefer it to Memento as an overall movie, but for the purposes of this list Memento gets my nod. I took out rosemary's baby for it

Glad this is Featured, I knew that once we could discuss the movies things would pick up..:obama:
There are some really great films that I will have to check out now.:salute:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Aw man I forgot about Rope, one of my favorite Hitchcock films.

This is probably my favorite genre along with Horror and Animated movies, man this is hard.
When the maid goes to clean that chest, Suspense on a hundred, thousand, trillion:banderas:

...nice to know I'm not the only Black Hitchcock fiend ou chea:myman:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Also want to mention The Conversation, which is on Netflix. Francis Ford Copolla film, during the Godfather era. Very good suspense film.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I thought that was a weird flick.

I need a 2nd viewing
Yup. Memento reminds me a bit of it in terms of the way the same scenes/info is repeated over and over, and then at the end you realize what it actually means.

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
this list is the list with the most flicks i haven't seen.

i have not seen The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Tenebrae, Deep red, elephant, Peeping Tom, or Opera :lupe:
Dario Argento flicks, old school Giallo films. I really want to get more into the sub genre, those Italian directors bunch of creative stuff. Check out the plots to some of Argento's films they suck you in and are such simple set ups but the stories are good.

Tenebre
An American writer in Rome is stalked by a serial killer bent on harassing him while killing all people associated with his work on his latest book.

The Bird with the Crystal Plummage
A writer is stalked by a serial killer after witnessing a murder attempt on one woman's life.

Suspiria
A newcomer to a fancy ballet academy gradually comes to realize that the school is a front for something far more sinister and supernatural amidst a series of grisly murders.

Four Flies on Grey Velvet(Also Argento along with The Cat O' Nine Tails worth a watch too)
A musician is stalked by an unknown killer who's blackmailing him for an accidental killing of another stalker. But is everything what it appears to be?

Deep Red
A musician witnesses the murder of a famous psychic, and then teams up with a fiesty reporter to find the killer while evading attempts on their lives by the unseen killer bent on keeping a dark secret buried.

Opera
A young opperata is stalked by a deranged fan bent on killing the people associated with her to claim her for himself.

Similar plots right? But they all change up when you watch them. It proves that you can take a simple idea and use it in different ways to get different results. Just don't marathon watch them, you might start to get sick of the genre. I love it though.

There's other Giallo films I haven't even seen yet(by other Directors like Mario Bava) but the plots sound interesting and I've heard good things about them. I want to watch them eventually.

I also recommend Agatha Christie who I haven't even jumped into fully, she writes a Mystery/Suspense and Detective stories and they have been adapted into several films and tv series.

When the maid goes to clean that chest, Suspense on a hundred, thousand, trillion:banderas:

...nice to know I'm not the only Black Hitchcock fiend ou chea:myman:
Yep, unappreciated film. Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors along with Tarantino(who many would say me being black that I shouldn't like some of his film dialogue and I agree he does go overboard with nikka on some films but man I just enjoy his whole film catalog so much.) Even stuff like Death Proof which many people hated, I really enjoyed it. The stuff he does in his films, the plots, the creativity, same with Hitchcock even though are two completely different types of directors.

Speaking of Hitchcock I have to give another shoutout to another one of his films I feel is under appreciated.

Frenzy_movieposter.jpg

Man this movie was so good but rarely talk about it when discussing Hitchcock. You can't even tell people to look up the film because google ruins one of the best shots in the film. And man the ENDING of the film is one of my favorites ever. The way the credits just come in, I don't even wanna say anything to ruin it but the film is great.

Speaking of endings the way Rope ends is so powerful.
The way Jimmy Stewart is talking to them like children "DID YOU THINK YOU WERE GOD?!" and then the sirens come in.
Great film.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
some more stuff:

Don't Look Now: Listed as horror but is moreso of a suspense/mystery film. Netflix.

A married couple grieving the recent death of their little daughter are in Venice when they encounter two elderly sisters, one of whom is psychic and brings a warning from beyond.

The Talented Mr. Ripley: Pretty sure most have seen this but figured I'd bring it up anyway. It's on Netflix.

The Bad Seed (1956):

A housewife suspects that her seemingly perfect 8-year-old daughter is a heartless killer.

Blood Simple:
A rich but jealous man hires a private investigator to kill his cheating wife and her new man. But, when blood is involved, nothing is simple.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
some more stuff:

Don't Look Now: Listed as horror but is moreso of a suspense/mystery film. Netflix.

The Talented Mr. Ripley: Pretty sure most have seen this but figured I'd bring it up anyway. It's on Netflix.

The Bad Seed (1956):

Blood Simple:

really enjoyed don't look now.. that ending was crazy

Mr ripley I loved on the first viewing.. but the 2nd viewing i was like :scust: it seemed a bit ridiculous

blood simple is dope too
haven't seen bad seed..i'ma peep because i love movies like that :heh:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Brehs one more suggestion:

Suddenly, Last Summer

The only son of wealthy widow Violet Venable dies while on vacation with his cousin Catherine. What the girl saw was so horrible that she went insane; now Mrs. Venable wants Catherine lobotomized to cover up the truth.

First off Elizabeth Taylor is hot as fukk in this movie. Second I'm stunned it came out in 1959, some of the themes it covers or hints at were quite taboo at the time. Very good suspense film. Very theatrical as it's based on a play but don't sleep on this brehs. Don't watch the trailer!