The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
im not even in the business, and if you tried to get me to read something that wasn't formatted pitch perfect I'd send it back and tell you to fukk off.

it's formatted that way for a reason. try reading a screenplay in word and tell me it's not the most tedious thing you've ever read after about 5 pages. shyt, try reading a properly formatted script that is light on dialogue and has paragraphs of action and tell me it's not nearly impossible to get half way through it

I have no problem with reading so I'm fine.

If that was my job I'd read the story and if I liked it I would let the person know to properly fix it and we'll pick it up. If you have a problem reading scripts then that field isn't for you. You're in business to find the next good or great film/show, not play teacher and BS about the spacing and indentation.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's not about typos. We're talking formatting.

I mean it obviously has to be formatted like a script, but if someone doesn't read a script because the indentation is off by 4 spaces or the title is 2 lines below the usual spot then that's just :mjlol:

Stuff like that is minor, doubt anybody tosses a script for that.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That's what I thought we were talking about. :dwillhuh:

Proper format doesn't necessarily mean mistake free. There are people who have no idea what proper format is. BTW most top execs aren't reading stuff from unknowns until somebody lower on the totem pole has co-signed it. A lot of readers are basically entry-level, low paid and bitter writers themselves. Doesn't take much to annoy them.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Proper format doesn't necessarily mean mistake free. There are people who have no idea what proper format is. BTW most top execs aren't reading stuff from unknowns until somebody lower on the totem pole has co-signed it. A lot of readers are basically entry-level, low paid and bitter writers themselves. Doesn't take much to annoy them.

So what is proper format for a script?

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I have no problem with reading so I'm fine.

If that was my job I'd read the story and if I liked it I would let the person know to properly fix it and we'll pick it up. If you have a problem reading scripts then that field isn't for you. You're in business to find the next good or great film/show, not play teacher and BS about the spacing and indentation.
im not one to preach on attitude, but your attitude on this is terrible. shake it now. get format down to a t, and don't question it. just like any other job/situation, you gotta act like you've been there.

i mean, you don't even really need to worry about this kinda stuff b/c Final Draft takes care of all your spacing and margins for you. once you figure it out (in like 2 minutes) all you need to know is how to use the tab key

seriously, if the best story of all time looks like shyt on the paper, it's probably never gonna get the chance to be the best story of all time on the big screen

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Is it ok to put down "created, developed and written by..." on a script you wanna send out?

I wouldn't put down anything other than written. Only after it becomes a franchise/series and/or other people might do rewrites does the create/develop credit realy come into play. As long as you're still a 'nobody', don't try to make yourself sound more important than you are.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn't put down anything other than written. Only after it becomes a franchise/series and/or other people might do rewrites does the create/develop credit realy come into play. As long as you're still a 'nobody', don't try to make yourself sound more important than you are.
this