The Coli owes Issa Rae an apology

Gravity

Banned
Daps
I like shows about flawed characters, I just find it more interesting to watch. If Atlanta and Insecure had characters who were perfect and represented black life in the best, possible way I'd find both of them boring as hell. Yes, Issa and Molly are headcases but they have a depth, realness and humanity to them that you won't see in a Tyler Perry movie where all the characters are badly written black and white caricatures. Truth is there are a lot of black women like the ones in Insecure who have the same views on relationships/black men etc. I don't think the show was trying to push that as an agenda or narrative, just showing it for what it was. If we're gonna praise a film like Boyz or Menace or a TV show like Atlanta for showing a certain situation/mindset for what it is and not attacking the creator for it, why not do the same for Insecure, as long as its quality art?
There's a whole lot of room between unlikeable and perfect. I don't have an issue with the characters not being perfect but I do wonder why the 2 female leads are written to be so unlikeable. I watch the show coming away thinking that both of the lead chics are just wack. Not flawed but likeable, just straight up wack. I don't even think that your comparison of this show to movies like boyz and menace is valid because those characters weren't unlikeable. Cain from mencace was flawed like motherfukker but he wasn't unlikeable. O-dog was a gotdamn psychopath but he wasn't unlikeable. Same with Boyz. Cube was a dope dealing murderer but you liked his character because of how well it was written and developed. The 2 lead female characters on insecure aren't that well written or developed. We haven't seen any reason or justification for their flaws, they're just wack because they're wack. So far they haven't been written to be characters that you root for. The scene where they cursed each other out at the end of the last ep sums it up. We watched that and was like "yea, both of y'all ain't shyt:francis:"

artists seem to have this pressure placed on them where they can't just be artists showing interesting but flawed people but they have to somehow represent black life in the best possible way or risk being deemed a sellout/c00n/etc, even if it compromises the art. I mean, I get it, they don't have the privilege of white artists who can tell stories that are viewed as just individual stories, not the definitive "white" experience. But when it comes to black art I'd rather the focus be on quality rather than preachy didacticism. As @Piff Perkins mentioned, the black experience is way too diverse and vast for us to limit black art like that
This is just you whining. You're doubling down on this ad hominem straw man bullshyt. I haven't criticized the show for not showing "black life" in the best possible light. That's YOUR argument that you have projected on to others. I criticized the first couple of eps for pushing certain narratives that I don't appreciate. I acknowledge that the show has gotten better and less predictable but I still think that some criticism is valid. The main characters being so unlikeable. Save all the histrionics and answer me this, do you think that the 2 main characters are likeable yes or no?

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
coli so funny. always bring up shyt ive never ever fukkin heard of.:ohhh::russ:

1.few popular white owned tv shows have black men dating white girls/vice versa.....but if a black director does it, its a problem with the black community.

2.now I can see why since white people also have 1000's shows where a nikka is not seen in 10 seasons...lol black people don't have that luxury in hollywood.

so I can understand if a problack family orientated man/woman would be very insecure/mad/salty if a black owned show doesn't try to show positive black straight love 90%-100% time cause most times white owned tv shows don't and if they do its not positive.:manny:

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
ITT: Blacks who grew up in white neighborhoods/white schools wanting representation for a minority-within-minority. Intellectualizing the argument. Fighting tooth and nail for acceptance, whilst shytting on working class/hood blacks in a very sneaky way. shytting on cultural staples to defend Buppie Spawn Drivel.
On this board, on the regular: The musical and social version of that on a large scale.

PS: I don't watch tv...so I don't watch this show...I'm looking at the collective argument here.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Yall nikkas must have forgot :martin:

Yall not fooling me... Look at the glee on her face.

Screen-shot-2012-10-01-at-1.57.44-PM.png

Season 2. Be patient, that mixed race baby is coming.

SGh9gg4.png
:mjpls:

I was defending those in this thread who like the show, and I was gonna give it a watch, but now I'm having mixed feelings...

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
I don't know anything about Issa Raye's comments on black men or interracial dating, but we can't act like people from both shows are saints.

Donald Glover been c00ning for a minute. Check some of them Childish Gambino lyrics.Dude gave up on black women and got an obsession with asian women. That's why his baby momma is one.

Let's talk about Van who in real life is on that :mjpls:

Don't even get me started on Paper Boi :wrist:being a shyt pusher. :bryan:

Personally I don't give a fukk about any of this shyt. I enjoy both shows thoroughly. I will watch both shows and continue to support both shows becuz I love seeing black people on TV.

For me it ain't that serious, it's just TV and entertainment. Bill Cosby raped 1,000,000 bytches and I still consider the Cosby show to be top 5 all time.

:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

All you ATLANTA lovers who hate on Issa, pls defend this. What is your rebuttal?

:mjpls:

Yesterday

Banned
Daps
Did you not notice in the first episode alone how black men were ridiculed and joked about before one was even present on the screen? :dahelldidyousay:
I think that's the point, it was a set up for the story. The show is a self assessment of bw ridiculing bm when they're inherently flawed themselves.

666 ReVeNGe 666

TROLL IS LIFE
Daps
I hate these broke Coli bums who judge everything and everyone but don't and ain't shyt in real life.

I think they act like that because they have nothing going on.

Male version of bitter LSA posters :scust: