The Coli Beat League #2 Master Thread

Daps
Yeah I dont know why the 2 weeks in between these rounds when the next one is a open round. I can understand two weeks before a "challenge" week like with ethnic fusion round but cats should be able to whip something up with free reign

AkaDemiK

I Love Hip-Hop
Daps
I think it's 2 weeks because of how long it took for everyone to submit a beat.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I think it's 2 weeks because of how long it took for everyone to submit a beat.

and nikkas still be late tho. like at least have some throwaways if you don't have the time, anyone making beats have some. holding up the tourney because of bad time management is shytty

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place

Tom Foolery

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
I made a thread in the groups for everyone to talk on what we can do to improve. I got a few ideas that I've been sitting on myself.
http://www.thecoli.com/xfa-groups-thread/ideas-to-improve-beat-league-contest.104/?page=1#post-2276

I also want everyone to stay positive. We've done 30+ votes per battle before, we'll do it again.

aye breh, I can't figure out how to post in that thread there so I'm just gonna drop my ideas here. First I just want to say I think the whole coli beat league is a dope idea, and its a dope community to share ideas, get feedback, get inspiration, etc... So much respect to the organizers for putting in work and putting this together, and everyone who participates. I just have a few ideas that maybe will help out with a couple of issues.

I had a slow day at work today and I thought this whole shyt out and wrote it in my phone :heh:

The two main issues are voter participation which I think is partly due to there being so many battles to vote on each week, and uneven match-ups, which sometimes pit guys against each other that really are in two different weight classes.

So the big changes I propose are splitting the league into two groups, an A group and a B group. The second big change is splitting the league into a regular season and a playoff, to lessen the amount of head to head match ups each week, and get voters more engaged and focused on select battles.

Basically here's how they would work, and here's my thinking for splitting it this way.

With the grouping I wanted to address the different experience levels of the different producers. Some guys are just starting out, some guys are are several years in, some guys are returning from an extended break from producing, some guys produce off and on, etc... The way we have it now, there is sometimes some uneven match ups. So I thought of an A group, for the more experienced producers and a B group for those who are either still learning or still building skills and confidence (maybe those with under 2 years experience). I'd say everyone is free to choose where they want to be placed but to keep in mind everyone will be judged against their group. This is to make judging more even, and to make the match ups more competitive. Also it would address certain heavy hitters using "throwaway" beats in certain battles or "playing down" to their competition." Every round should be more competitive and more meaningful. Ultimately, there'd be a way for producers to move between groups based on how well (or poorly) they're performing week to week. More on that later.

Now for the regular season concept. Voting is an issue in the head to head style, there's so many battles its overwhelming, then the match ups can be one sided at times, and people stop being engaged. So here's how I think we address it.

In the regular season we'd still have themed challenges like we have now i.e. "trap" week or "middle eastern" week but now we'd have only one "marquee matchup" per group, per week. So in group A two competitors will go head to head and have voting, and the same in group B. People will only have to vote on 2 battles per week this way, much more manageable. Everyone else in each group will also submit a beat, but they won't be put in head to head matchups. Instead, the winner of the previous weeks "marquee matchup" will decide whether he wants to judge the next weeks battle, or if he wants to defer to his opponent. We would do judging across groups. So the winner of marquee matchup in grp A will judge (or defer to) next weeks non marquee match up group B submissions, and vice versa. The judge's task will be to listen to the rest of the submissions, and pick out the top 5 best tracks, and also pick a "best in class."

Finally there'd be scoring for each weeks submissions. This is what I thought up:
For the marquee match ups, we want this to be the highlight of every round, so the most points will be up for grabs here. Points will be granted based on the percentage votes received. So:
100% of votes = 10 pts
>90% = 9 pts
>80% = 8 pts and so on until >50% = 5 pts
For those not in the marquee matchup, everyone who submits a beat gets 1 pt for participating. Everyone who get selected into the top 5 by the judge gets 3 pts, and the one person who gets selected best in class by the judge gets 5 pts. There's no adding, if you're best in class, obviously you're also in the top 5, but you don't get 5 + 3 pts, you just get 5. Also, with this setup, everyone doesn't have to submit a beat every round if they don't want, and they could still possibly make the play offs.

Also we can stagger group play, so group A plays one week, group B the next, so everyone has 2 weeks in btwn rds, but there's still new rds every week.

The regular season should run long enough for everyone to get one marquee match up, then the play offs start. With the play offs, the top 4 people from group B make it, and the top 6 people from group A make it. Then we can have seeding as well, where the 1 seed plays the low seed. There's four rounds. First round are the group B matchups. The 2 winners of the group B match ups go up against the top 2 grp A seeds in rd 2, and so on, until the championship.

My bad I might have gotten carried away :russ:

TEKBEATZ

Banging Pads
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Saint Petersburg. FL
aye breh, I can't figure out how to post in that thread there so I'm just gonna drop my ideas here. First I just want to say I think the whole coli beat league is a dope idea, and its a dope community to share ideas, get feedback, get inspiration, etc... So much respect to the organizers for putting in work and putting this together, and everyone who participates. I just have a few ideas that maybe will help out with a couple of issues.

I had a slow day at work today and I thought this whole shyt out and wrote it in my phone :heh:

The two main issues are voter participation which I think is partly due to there being so many battles to vote on each week, and uneven match-ups, which sometimes pit guys against each other that really are in two different weight classes.

So the big changes I propose are splitting the league into two groups, an A group and a B group. The second big change is splitting the league into a regular season and a playoff, to lessen the amount of head to head match ups each week, and get voters more engaged and focused on select battles.

Basically here's how they would work, and here's my thinking for splitting it this way.

With the grouping I wanted to address the different experience levels of the different producers. Some guys are just starting out, some guys are are several years in, some guys are returning from an extended break from producing, some guys produce off and on, etc... The way we have it now, there is sometimes some uneven match ups. So I thought of an A group, for the more experienced producers and a B group for those who are either still learning or still building skills and confidence (maybe those with under 2 years experience). I'd say everyone is free to choose where they want to be placed but to keep in mind everyone will be judged against their group. This is to make judging more even, and to make the match ups more competitive. Also it would address certain heavy hitters using "throwaway" beats in certain battles or "playing down" to their competition." Every round should be more competitive and more meaningful. Ultimately, there'd be a way for producers to move between groups based on how well (or poorly) they're performing week to week. More on that later.

Now for the regular season concept. Voting is an issue in the head to head style, there's so many battles its overwhelming, then the match ups can be one sided at times, and people stop being engaged. So here's how I think we address it.

In the regular season we'd still have themed challenges like we have now i.e. "trap" week or "middle eastern" week but now we'd have only one "marquee matchup" per group, per week. So in group A two competitors will go head to head and have voting, and the same in group B. People will only have to vote on 2 battles per week this way, much more manageable. Everyone else in each group will also submit a beat, but they won't be put in head to head matchups. Instead, the winner of the previous weeks "marquee matchup" will decide whether he wants to judge the next weeks battle, or if he wants to defer to his opponent. We would do judging across groups. So the winner of marquee matchup in grp A will judge (or defer to) next weeks non marquee match up group B submissions, and vice versa. The judge's task will be to listen to the rest of the submissions, and pick out the top 5 best tracks, and also pick a "best in class."

Finally there'd be scoring for each weeks submissions. This is what I thought up:
For the marquee match ups, we want this to be the highlight of every round, so the most points will be up for grabs here. Points will be granted based on the percentage votes received. So:
100% of votes = 10 pts
>90% = 9 pts
>80% = 8 pts and so on until >50% = 5 pts
For those not in the marquee matchup, everyone who submits a beat gets 1 pt for participating. Everyone who get selected into the top 5 by the judge gets 3 pts, and the one person who gets selected best in class by the judge gets 5 pts. There's no adding, if you're best in class, obviously you're also in the top 5, but you don't get 5 + 3 pts, you just get 5. Also, with this setup, everyone doesn't have to submit a beat every round if they don't want, and they could still possibly make the play offs.

Also we can stagger group play, so group A plays one week, group B the next, so everyone has 2 weeks in btwn rds, but there's still new rds every week.

The regular season should run long enough for everyone to get one marquee match up, then the play offs start. With the play offs, the top 4 people from group B make it, and the top 6 people from group A make it. Then we can have seeding as well, where the 1 seed plays the low seed. There's four rounds. First round are the group B matchups. The 2 winners of the group B match ups go up against the top 2 grp A seeds in rd 2, and so on, until the championship.

My bad I might have gotten carried away :russ:
:cheers:

Tom Foolery

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place