The Chi (Showtime) Official Season 1 Thread

Marti

Tete status
Daps
Reppin
Im still stuck on how they snuck a tranny in episode one like it was cool and normal :dead:

Fat bytch tracked this nikka down. She violated homeboy. He been through too much. #metoo

Why they doing little homie like this :damn:

Daps
There's just something off about this show, can't put my finger on it just yet tho

:patrice:

You’re from Chicago right? A lot of folks from are saying it don’t feel like the city at all.

I’m not from there so I can’t gauge that, but I know in my city it’s the youngins that are the wildest. Folks are ingrained into that lifestyle at a young age so it feels weird to me seeing that dealer tryna recruit the sneaker head (who I’m guessing is 18-19 as he’s passed HS)...from what I’ve seen if you make it to that age and aren’t in that street life then you probably ain’t ever gonna be in that street life. The Wire did it right by looking at middle school kids in Season 4. Really showed how that was when these kids started on divergent paths from their common childhood. Overall the show feels like it’s written by older out of touch people (Common even admits to being out of touch with current Chi in the promo they showed before the episode; said they sought input from others in the community).

Another issue is that the bad guys are just caricatures at this point. We only get an in depth look at the Simp “father” and the retired gangster (who seems to be on some noble mission). I’d characterize everyone else as “good guys”. A closer look at the new big dog on the block may help the balance of the show.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
You’re from Chicago right? A lot of folks from are saying it don’t feel like the city at all.

I’m not from there so I can’t gauge that, but I know in my city it’s the youngins that are the wildest. Folks are ingrained into that lifestyle at a young age so it feels weird to me seeing that dealer tryna recruit the sneaker head (who I’m guessing is 18-19 as he’s passed HS)...from what I’ve seen if you make it to that age and aren’t in that street life then you probably ain’t ever gonna be in that street life. The Wire did it right by looking at middle school kids in Season 4. Really showed how that was when these kids started on divergent paths from their common childhood. Overall the show feels like it’s written by older out of touch people (Common even admits to being out of touch with current Chi in the promo they showed before the episode; said they sought input from others in the community).

Another issue is that the bad guys are just caricatures at this point. We only get an in depth look at the Simp “father” and the retired gangster (who seems to be on some noble mission). I’d characterize everyone else as “good guys”. A closer look at the new big dog on the block may help the balance of the show.
I'm from the South Burbs, but in general the show just doesn't seem that polished.

The acting is hit or miss. Some of them are pretty good, and then some are just meeeh. The cops so far haven't been that impressive from an acting standpoint. And the writing is leaving a lot to be desired. I too thought that maybe this would be in the vein of The Wire Season 4 with the kid's perspective. But right now it's all over the place. Coogie (sp) was the most interesting character that they've had so far and they already killed him
:gucci:

Maybe they plan on showing the kids transition from innocent kids to savages from living in their environments. Have to see where it goes, but I don't know if the current story lines are good enough to represent authenticity for the city. I just don't want the show to become too predictable or too over the top birthing plot holes that people just pick a part.

And I agree... the focus should be more on the youth, and not the older guys.