The Bloody Nine: Who else has Read The First Law Series?

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
I caught a post or two about the series last year in the Game of Thrones book thread.

Finished 'The Blade Itself' last week, well onto book two now. (Audiobooks FTW when I'm driving). :ahh:

Anyone else?

thebladeitselforig.jpg

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Finshed reading Age Of Madness last year. Currently going through the series again with the Steven Pacey audio books. Dude really brings the characters to life :wow:

Just finished The Blade Itself....it was ok. But Im hoping the next book gets better because the 1st book TBI was a struggle until 100 pages in.

IMO the first book is Joe's weakest book. Glokta was the hook for me, if you don't like Before They Are Hanged the series might not be for you.

Last edited:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
First trilogy is dope.
Three "stand alone" books - dope.

The last trilogy - 7/10.

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
:myman:

Definitely in my top five all-time series. Up there with the game of thrones.

Would love a very well animated or live action adaptation of it. It's definitely grounded enough to pull off.

The Dresden files are also nice. Especially in audiobook format. And there's like almost 20 novels out. Really picks up after book 3.

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
The first time I listened to the series in audiobook format towards the end when they got to the part where the B9 showed itself was insane.

:whoo:

One of the most surprising / shocking moments in any book I've ever read.

By The way, who in the Game of Thrones series do you think could fukk with Logan? Besides things like dragons

:patrice:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
The first time I listened to the series in audiobook format towards the end when they got to the part where the B9 showed itself was insane.

:whoo:

One of the most surprising / shocking moments in any book I've ever read.

By The way, who in the Game of Thrones series do you think could fukk with Logan? Besides things like dragons

:patrice:

Only people I can think of taking down Logen and B9 are Arthur Dayne and Prime Barristan Selmy. Jaime Lannister probably puts up a good fight against basic Logen. Joe is on record saying Logen was built to dispatch big dudes. So guys like the Clegane bros, Khal Drogo, etc. are taking vicious Ls and sent back to the mud expeditiously :wow:

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Only people I can think of taking down Logen and B9 are Arthur Dayne and Prime Barristan Selmy. Jaime Lannister probably puts up a good fight against basic Logen. Joe is on record saying Logen was built to dispatch big dudes. So guys like the Clegane bros, Khal Drogo, etc. are taking vicious Ls and sent back to the mud expeditiously :wow:

I would put Selmy and Dayne around the same level as Gorst.

I feel like regular Logen is more or less on the same level as Gorst, but when you introduce the bloody nine into it it becomes a different conversation.

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
Finshed reading Age Of Madness last year. Currently going through the series again with the Steven Pacey audio books. Dude really brings the characters to life :wow:

IMO the first book is Joe's weakest book. Glokta was the hook for me, if you don't like Before They Are Hanged the series might not be for you.
Im reading that book now as we speak. So far so good. I figured that the 1st book would be a set up for story telling. But I honestly am 87 pages in BTAH and so far so good. My fave characters are Glotka and Ferro...9 fingers is dope too. Jezhal is dope as well...idk why the other characters hate him so much. I havent read him doing anything to be hated. The dude is probably more human than the rest sans Glotka. Glotka reninds me of my professor from Morgan State. Prof Guy Jones.

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Im reading that book now as we speak. So far so good. I figured that the 1st book would be a set up for story telling. But I honestly am 87 pages in BTAH and so far so good. My fave characters are Glotka and Ferro...9 fingers is dope too. Jezhal is dope as well...idk why the other characters hate him so much. I havent read him doing anything to be hated. The dude is probably more human than the rest sans Glotka. Glotka reninds me of my professor from Morgan State. Prof Guy Jones.

I think people didn't like him because he was a stuck up clsssicst, narcissist pretty boy type.

He definitely goes through an evolution though.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I would put Selmy and Dayne around the same level as Gorst.

I feel like regular Logen is more or less on the same level as Gorst, but when you introduce the bloody nine into it it becomes a different conversation.

:dwillhuh: That's the best the universe has to offer. You saying Logen can 1v1 the entire realm?

How about Red Viper with poisoned weapons?

Last edited:

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
I think people didn't like him because he was a stuck up clsssicst, narcissist pretty boy type.

He definitely goes through an evolution though.
Spoiler alert lol. Im only 87 pages in on book 2 on the First Law Series 👀. But its nice to see him geaux through a evolution. But I dint see him as narcissist or pretty boy. He seems insecure and he had a training arc in the 1st boom. Nothing came easy to him and then the fact that he was very human when it came to West's sister Ardee. I just dont see the hate he gets.

But I do like the Magus that is Black tho. Yuwel (sp).

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
:dwillhuh: That's they best the universe has to offer. You saying Logen can 1v1 the entire realm?

How about Red Viper with poisoned weapons?

I meant from a single combat standpoint. And yeah, I think Logen at full health with the makers sword can pretty much put anybody down in the series. He's went up against and beat 10 of some of the most renowned fighters in the North which pretty much means some of the best fighters in the world and it came out on top.

A poisonous weapon might do him in after the fact. He tends to receive damage when he's fighting.

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Spoiler alert lol. Im only 87 pages in on book 2 on the First Law Series 👀. But its nice to see him geaux through a evolution. But I dint see him as narcissist or pretty boy. He seems insecure and he had a training arc in the 1st boom. Nothing came easy to him and then the fact that he was very human when it came to West's sister Ardee. I just dont see the hate he gets.

But I do like the Magus that is Black tho. Yuwel (sp).

My fault. When you get to the third book and finish it you're going to have your mind blown. It's wild.