The black man who went to Ivy League College then became a Drug Kingpin

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
I hope people heed these words. I had to learn this the hard way. The smartest/harder worker rarely gets promoted or the best job opportunities. :francis:

Thats because mediocrity is what most supervisors prefer because if you're too smart you're a threat to their position. Working for someone else is really, really odd in that respect because you have that as well as the whole office politics thing and so much other frazz that simply isn't worth my time or attention.

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Crazy story but I totally understand it even though I would never do the same:yeshrug: seems like bruh was a capitalist to the bone. He was probably smarter than most on this board so he 100 percent understood the risks.
A smart capitalist would know there are other products that supply way more profit with the same demand.

I knew a girl who went to Yale. Trust me, just cause she went to an ivy league didn't mean she wasnt a bird brain:scust:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
He would have probably thrived in this era with weed being pretty much legal in certain parts of the country. Could have used his knowledge to build his own legal dispensary. Its really tragic.
This was before that existed and he was in NY in the 2000s, home of the Wolves. He would have had success in Atlanta. There are a number of educated drug dealers.

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hope people heed these words. I had to learn this the hard way. The smartest/harder worker rarely gets promoted or the best job opportunities. :francis:
No doubt. There are only a few industries that are truly meritocracies (being a pro athlete comes to mind) but mostly it’s about finding the most talented person you know, can work with, and can go to dinners/drinks with after work.

Thats because mediocrity is what most supervisors prefer because if you're too smart you're a threat to their position. Working for someone else is really, really odd in that respect because you have that as well as the whole office politics thing and so much other frazz that simply isn't worth my time or attention.
That’s why it’s important to know how to play the game. Even if you’re an entrepreneur you still gotta play the game, just on a different level.

The issue is we ain’t teaching our kids to play the game. But how could we if we ain’t never played the game ourselves??

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Some make it out and move accordingly... Al Haymon's rep is immortalized by mystery
Not being funny or intrusive, but what is his story? I know he went to Harvard and worked with Mayweather to pretty much create a fortune and change the landscape of boxing… but he has been an expert in the art of staying in the shadows

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A smart capitalist would know there are other products that supply way more profit with the same demand.

I knew a girl who went to Yale. Trust me, just cause she went to an ivy league didn't mean she wasnt a bird brain:scust:
Doesn’t mean breh wasn’t smart, he just wasn’t knowledgeable. This was before the internet got really poppin so if you didn’t have good libraries around you or people who could show you the way, how were you supposed to get access to the information?

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
This is why its important of us as Black men to be the example we want our children to follow.
Yep.

She had a kid with the wrong guy, and instead of banning her son from seeing him she still let him visit his dad in prison, because I’m sure people would’ve said she was wrong if she didn’t.

His father was his worst influence.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
High achievement is based on so many factors, including knowing how to navigate and develop relationships with other future high achievers. I figured this shyt out in my mid-20s. I was a super smart kid growing up, went to a great school etc. And came out with my degree making peanuts. Then I looked around and said what was the difference between me, the smart kid who worked hard, and those who were truly succeeding and it hit me that I didn’t have the relationships to be in the spaces where moves were being made. So I switched my focus from being the smartest person in the room to being the most likeable, throwing myself into a lot of environments that were uncomfortable for me (understanding that I to this day still feel most comfortable in the hood) so I could learn to navigate and develop relationships in them. Ten years or so later and my life has changed immensely. People give good jobs and opportunities to the best people they know, not the best resume. Most resumes don’t even get looked at except as confirmation that you can hire that person you know or who has been recommended to you by someone you know. It’s game of thrones in real time.

I also had to do a lot of healing. The hood left me with a lot of wounds. But this post is already too long.

So when I read stories like this I get sad cuz I know how easily it coulda been me or on the flipside, how easily brothers like this could have succeeded with more social support and positive examples. Environments matter so much…

EDIT: Sorry if it came across like I was preaching at you my brother. It wasn’t that. Just a lot came out. This shyt hits home.
Yep.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Doesn’t mean breh wasn’t smart, he just wasn’t knowledgeable. This was before the internet got really poppin so if you didn’t have good libraries around you or people who could show you the way, how were you supposed to get access to the information?
He needed a good network and a partner. That's generally what we all need. Few can do it by themselves

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
That’s why it’s important to know how to play the game. Even if you’re an entrepreneur you still gotta play the game, just on a different level.

The issue is we ain’t teaching our kids to play the game. But how could we if we ain’t never played the game ourselves??

I get your point but that game in itself is the problem when seen from a wider lens. But then all you've got to do is look at the life and times of Nikola Tesla as a cautionary tale when you compare what was to what could've been, but still...

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
He graduated from Yale; he had access to all of that.

Point is, going to an Ivy doesn’t mean you walk out making a million dollars. I know a few ppl who attended ivies and their first job was literally the same— working as a teacher for a few yrs before going to grad school.

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get your point but that game in itself is the problem when seen from a wider lens. But then all you've got to do is look at the life and times of Nikola Tesla as a cautionary tale when you compare what was to what could've been, but still...
Nah you right about that breh. Tesla was a fukking genius, much more so than Edison, but that motherfukker Tesla was apparently weird af. Edison knew how to network and sell (and steal haha) better than Tesla so he’s the guy we know about.