The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

Exit9NJturnpike

Gmen Giants Big Blue
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Brunswick, NJ
John Horse ended up becoming the biggest sellout in American history....
:mjlol:

A slave that killed his slave master. Freed other slaves, had an agreement with the US government. He went up against the US government, after they went back on their word. Fought along side Seminole Native Americans. Relocated to Mexico and became a legend there as a General in the Mexican Army. Spoke three languages. Must I go on:sas1:

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
:whew: this sounding like pure piff I just read the Nate Parker Birth of a Nation graphic novel by Kyle Baker and it still resonates with me after these past few months it really be a Braveheart level epic.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I'm skeptical about fox buying it
Idk brehs

It's bought by Fox Searchlight, Fox' daughter company that focuses on indie movies. They always, and I do mean always, have a picture in the running during awards season.

Fox Searchlight's Slumdog Millionaire , 12 Years a Slave , and Birdman have all won the Academy Award for Best Picture at the 81st Academy Awards , 86th Academy Awards , and 87th Academy Awards respectively, as well as a further 12 Academy Awards combined. Other Fox Searchlight films receiving Best Picture nominations include The Full Monty, Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine, Juno, Black Swan, 127 Hours, The Tree of Life, The Descendants, Beasts of the Southern Wild,The Grand Budapest Hotel and Brooklyn.

This movie will definitely be pushed hard.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Another AA slave movie in the span of 4-5 years though? Nah I don't think so. Oscars can be predictable as fuk a lot of the time but often times when all the signs point in one direction the academy will go the other way

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
It's bought by Fox Searchlight, Fox' daughter company that focuses on indie movies. They always, and I do mean always, have a picture in the running during awards season.

Fox Searchlight's Slumdog Millionaire , 12 Years a Slave , and Birdman have all won the Academy Award for Best Picture at the 81st Academy Awards , 86th Academy Awards , and 87th Academy Awards respectively, as well as a further 12 Academy Awards combined. Other Fox Searchlight films receiving Best Picture nominations include The Full Monty, Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine, Juno, Black Swan, 127 Hours, The Tree of Life, The Descendants, Beasts of the Southern Wild,The Grand Budapest Hotel and Brooklyn.

This movie will definitely be pushed hard.
Damn, this isn't coming out no time soon. :snoop:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol:

A slave that killed his slave master. Freed other slaves, had an agreement with the US government. He went up against the US government, after they went back on their word. Fought along side Seminole Native Americans. Relocated to Mexico and became a legend there as a General in the Mexican Army. Spoke three languages. Must I go on:sas1:

But he STILL joined the US military immediately a year after he agreed to take his own people through the TRIAL OF TEARS, the very thing that they were warring against, where thousands of his people have died just taking the travel, to the waste land of Oklahoma, where he's sandwiched with opposing native tribes that were also forced out, on to help that same military to get MORE Seminoles out of their lands. If that's not selling out then what is?

All you said is irrelevant because it was AFTER he sold out to the US government, knowing those devils wouldn't keep their word and try to enslave them is why he led his people to Mexico anyway.

EDIT: there's an article addressing it in fact.

Had John Horse sold out? - Sidetrack - Part Three, Exile

Daps
But he STILL joined the US military immediately a year after he agreed to take his own people through the TRIAL OF TEARS, the very thing that they were warring against, where thousands of his people have died just taking the travel, to the waste land of Oklahoma, where he's sandwiched with opposing native tribes that were also forced out, on to help that same military to get MORE Seminoles out of their lands. If that's not selling out then what is?

All you said is irrelevant because it was AFTER he sold out to the US government, knowing those devils wouldn't keep their word and try to enslave them is why he led his people to Mexico anyway.

EDIT: there's an article addressing it in fact.

Had John Horse sold out? - Sidetrack - Part Three, Exile
so he made the same dealg(agreed to relocate to government made reservations out West) other Indian leaders (including Seminoles)did.:yeshrug:.i saw no where in that link which mentioned anything about joining the th US army or that his people suffered/died in significant numbers during the journey:stopitslime:did you really imply John trusting the governent would honor it's word makes him a sellout:what:by this logic i guess half or more all the Indian leaders from that period were sellout then:childplease:.obviously John's people/tribe disagreed with you othersidethey wouldn't have continued to hold him down:sas1:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so he made the same dealg(agreed to relocate to government made reservations out West) other Indian leaders (including Seminoles)did.:yeshrug:.i saw no where in that link which mentioned anything about joining the th US army or that his people suffered/died in significant numbers during the journey:stopitslime:did you really imply John trusting the governent would honor it's word makes him a sellout:what:by this logic i guess half or more all the Indian leaders from that period were sellout then:childplease:.obviously John's people/tribe disagreed with you othersidethey wouldn't have continued to hold him down:sas1:

Man, do your own research. This isn't all based on that article. It just posed the question on whether he sold out or not. And yes, MANY of those tribal leaders SOLD OUT. But it's worst than merely agreeing to leave the land (which was what the U.S. wanted in the first place), but it is the fact that JOINED WITH THAT SAME MILITARY that he was warring with to convince and spy against other Seminoles in Florida. It's like a nikka yelling "fukk tha police for decades, but end up being their biggest and most reliable SNITCH".

How the fukk you war with the government then BEFRIEND that same evil government within less than a year? :scust:

In contrast, Nat Turner rode and DIED for his. No compromise, no alliance with, no selling out.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The brother Nate really seems to have his head on right

Filmmaker: Though it was very memorably told by William Styron in his book The Confessions of Nat Turner, there have been very few feature films about the man. Why do you think that is?

Parker: Let us be clear. Styron’s book was a work of fiction; a falsified re-imagining he used to propagate his own misguided and paternalistic ideas of Nat Turner and his motives. By the time Styron’s ink dried, no longer was Nat Turner the measured, self-determined man of faith, who’s courage and sacrifice left him a martyr. He was now an impotent and cowardly, self-hating, Uncle Tom who’s ambitions regarding rebellion had little to do with the rampant torture and degradation of his enslaved people, but instead was seeped in his desperate sexual desires of white women. The consequence of this defamation? A Pulitzer Prize.

I’m sure the lack of a previous film on Nat Turner coming to fruition can be explained in many ways. If I spoke purely from my own experiences regarding my journey with Nat, I’d reduce it to two reasons. The first is economic. When I began my journey of accumulating funds, I was often reminded of Hollywood’s popular conundrum: “for the financing of a film to make sense, it must have a white (or more specifically non-black) actor in the lead. For if there is a black man in the lead (who isn’t one of two very famous black actors) territories abroad will likely refuse the product.”

This self-perpetuating notion of the black lead as box office poison often kills material before it takes flight. I’ve often seen this issue ‘remedied’ with a white co-lead to offset the ‘risk’ of having a black lead on his own. Unfortunately for the Nat Turner story, it doesn’t lend itself to the ‘two hander’ model.

The second reason, I believe, revolves around the misrepresentation of Nat Turner. Because history has strategically painted him with the brush of villainy and controversy, filmmakers have struggled with how to bypass the stigma commonly associated with his legacy.

Five Questions with The Birth of a Nation Director Nate Parker | Filmmaker Magazine

Exit9NJturnpike

Gmen Giants Big Blue
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Brunswick, NJ
Man, do your own research. This isn't all based on that article. It just posed the question on whether he sold out or not. And yes, MANY of those tribal leaders SOLD OUT. But it's worst than merely agreeing to leave the land (which was what the U.S. wanted in the first place), but it is the fact that JOINED WITH THAT SAME MILITARY that he was warring with to convince and spy against other Seminoles in Florida. It's like a nikka yelling "fukk tha police for decades, but end up being their biggest and most reliable SNITCH".

How the fukk you war with the government then BEFRIEND that same evil government within less than a year? :scust:

In contrast, Nat Turner rode and DIED for his. No compromise, no alliance with, no selling out.
He never sold out. If anything he was just naive trusting the US government. He was bigger threat to white supremacy, a man that united blacks and Seminole Indians. Than became influential in Mexico. There's a reason why he's barely mentioned in history books.

Daps

again post a link which supports your accusations an make sure it's reputable source:russell:i doubt a government agent serving the interest of the US government to the detriment of his people would have such loyalty from them or have to flee into a foreign country(Mexico) for refuge:comeon:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Another AA slave movie in the span of 4-5 years though? Nah I don't think so. Oscars can be predictable as fuk a lot of the time but often times when all the signs point in one direction the academy will go the other way
Nobody give a fyk about Oscars. We want to see if it will live to the hype and essence of the true story

Yes its slave era movie (because at end of the day its America history) but different theme dealing with rebellion

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He never sold out. If anything he was just naive trusting the US government. He was bigger threat to white supremacy, a man that united blacks and Seminole Indians. Than became influential in Mexico. There's a reason why he's barely mentioned in history books.

How you know if he was naive? If he was naive he would of trusted that government from the BEGINNING instead of going to war against them. He knew what he was doing. He wanted to stop the war and made a DEAL. Simple as that. The promise, which he SHOULD of known was going to be reneged, fucck being "naive", of his people gaining freedom (which they already HAD) and to have a land of their own where him and his people would be un-bothered, which was the wasteland of Oklahoma. He sold out for a piece of shytty land and a false promise of freedom not fathoming the fact they were already "free". Basically, the government meant they won't enslave his people which they tried anyway AFTER he sold out and helped them to get more people.

He could of fought to the death if need be and WON, because those Seminole wars were unpopular in the United States and public opinion were swaying dead it and let those people be. It was a costly war and it was forcing it's hand. The only way for the U.S. government was to succeed and get what they wanted was to get someone that the people TRUSTED and do their bidding. Which is something that this government from the past to the current PRESENT do. They made the Black Seminoles to start to have beef against the rest of the Seminoles, reached out to John Horse, even invited him to the fukking White House, and convinced him to make a deal with the devil and he was hooked in.

Go to your libraries, do your OWN research. Read the TRUTH of everything that happened with the Black Seminoles and John Horse specifically. Don't merely rely on what the internet say or some revisionist tale they try to sell you. Use your own independent perspective too and truly ask YOURSELF would you agree to the government to leave your own homeland and work for them?

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
again post a link which supports your accusations an make sure it's reputable source:russell:i doubt a government agent serving the interest of the US government to the detriment of his people would have such loyalty from them or have to flee into a foreign country(Mexico) for refuge:comeon:

I suggest you do your own research and use your own independent thinking and put yourself in the same position as to what you would have done instead of just merely believing a revisionist story. But if you insist. Here's another article about the rebellion and what the American government tried to do.

The forgotten rebellion of the Black Seminole Nation » peoplesworld

From the winter of 1835 to the summer of 1836 Black Seminoles, escaped slaves and Native peoples were fighting alongside one another, destroying sugar plantations and killing U.S. soldiers.

The United States government started to panic. What could be done to stop this increasingly growing and increasingly successful alliance? They came up with a plan to turn the Black Seminoles against the Native Seminoles by promising them that if they turned against their Native allies they would be granted freedom.

Very few Black Seminole took this offer. The Black Seminole alliance fought alongside the Seminole Nation until the bitter end. In 1838, over 500 Black Seminoles joined the Seminole Nation on the Trail of Tears. Many Natives, Black Natives, and Black Seminoles died on the trail. Some made it to Oklahoma, other Black Seminoles that didn't go on the Trail of Tears fled to Mexico.

Take a wild guess who DID take the offer? :sas1:

Daps
I suggest you do your own research and use your own independent thinking and put yourself in the same position as to what you would have done instead of just merely believing a revisionist story. But if you insist. Here's another article about the rebellion and what the American government tried to do.

The forgotten rebellion of the Black Seminole Nation » peoplesworld

Take a wild guess who DID take the offer? :sas1:
i'm sure other Seminole leaders were extended/took the same offer:yeshrug:

Last edited: