The Avengers from the first MCU Avengers movie are all dead or otherwise out of the game.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because i don't believe people 'forget'.. i believe there's different reasons for seeing each movie and some do better than others. The side movies/shows with B-characters aren't doing GOTG numbers anymore.. They are doing decently at the box office tho with inflated budgets.. that's where you could attribute them to the "larger mcu" sure but it's not what it once was.

but a movie such as the last Spider-man had a huge box office and that had very little to do with the overall mcu.. people are always gonna see Spider-man and they had a ton of Sony cameos too

if they made x-men tomorrow people would prefer that to whatever they are building to

People rocked with Guardians because we knew Marvel had a clear direction, stakes, and a plan to build up the whole storyline about Thanos and the infinity stones.
The Guardians themselves were Z-listers prior to the movies, but they still had a direct connection to Thanos, so audiences were invested enough to want to know how their story fit into the larger narrative.

Movies about lesser known characters like the Eternals would probably work better if we had a clearer picture of what Phase 4 was ultimately building towards and why the Eternals had an important stake in things.

As for Spider-man, the coli brehs have a point. That movie wouldn’t have been nearly as satisfying if they hadn’t brought back Tobey and Andrew.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Yup. When I was a kid, the avengers were secondary to the x men. At least thats the way I saw it and remembered

X men going to be the face of marvel again. I respect them taking their sweet time with it as much as it sucks waiting

Avengers wasn't shyt to me before the MCU.

Iron Man, Thor, AND Cap were all some shyt I would skip right over at the comic shop. I haven't looked but I prolly have more West Coast Avengers and Wonder Man type books than the actual Avengers (inclusive of their solo books) comics.

I was always partial to Hulk tho. I collected Hulk.

Absolutely correct tho. It was all about the X Men up until the movie situation made them back burner the X Men in the comics.

But yeah. MCU did a few magic tricks by making GotG, Ant Man and shyt like that popular. Freaking LOKI is one of the best characters in the film world.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
People rocked with Guardians because we knew Marvel had a clear direction, stakes, and a plan to build up the whole storyline about Thanos and the infinity stones.
The Guardians themselves were Z-listers prior to the movies, but they still had a direct connection to Thanos, so audiences were invested enough to want to know how their story fit into the larger narrative.

Movies about lesser known characters like the Eternals would probably work better if we had a clearer picture of what Phase 4 was ultimately building towards and why the Eternals had an important stake in things.

As for Spider-man, the coli brehs have a point. That movie wouldn’t have been nearly as satisfying if they hadn’t brought back Tobey and Andrew.
Eternals had a lot of exposition and basically defined the creation story for the MCU. Pretty sure it will be relevant in the future but you are right no one at the moment can see how.

Tryna Makit

High plains drifter
Daps
Cap Sam is dope to me:yeshrug:I keep hearing this he needs powers stuff but Batman is one of the most feared mf in the universe he has NONE. Sam is fine and I'd love to see a highly skilled brother leading the most powerful super team in his universe :manny::ufdup:
Batman is 90% plot armor breh.....you know damn well Sam ain't got it like that lol

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Widow and Stark. Dead.

Cap is 95

Hawkeye is retired.. trying to retire as hard as he can.

Thor is in space some damn where nowadays.

Hulk is wearing mock necks and drinking pumpkin spice organic tea.

They really all gone.

Widow has a sister thats just as skilled

Sam has the shield now

Riri is smarter than Tony

Kate is almost as good as Clint

Thor has a kid now? :scusthov: (but Kid Loki could also be a thing)

Hulk has a son who is nearly as strong as his dads current form

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
But yeah. MCU did a few magic tricks by making GotG, Ant Man and shyt like that popular. Freaking LOKI is one of the best characters in the film world.

That was part of my point. it wasn't just Thanos and the larger story arc.. people actually enjoyed those less characters movies even if they mostly hated the iron man or Thor sequels..

MCU is having more of a problem now with the less characters because the movies themselves haven't been good.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Because i don't believe people 'forget'.. i believe there's different reasons for seeing each movie and some do better than others. The side movies/shows with B-characters aren't doing GOTG numbers anymore.. They are doing decently at the box office tho with inflated budgets.. that's where you could attribute them to the "larger mcu" sure but it's not what it once was.

but a movie such as the last Spider-man had a huge box office and that had very little to do with the overall mcu.. people are always gonna see Spider-man and they had a ton of Sony cameos too

if they made x-men tomorrow people would prefer that to whatever they are building to

I'm not even sure what your point is any more.

"GOTG" is (or, was) literally a z-tier comic team. It was never supposed to make the money it did.

Hell, the entire MCU (minus Spider-Man, obviously) is all characters and teams nobody wanted the cinematic rights to. It was never supposed to take off like it did. "Thor: Love & Thunder" just did $760 million....saying "well, it did less than 'Ragnarok'" or "the MCU isn't doing what it used to" is a moot point because none of this was never supposed to be this successful in the first place.

I mean....20 years ago if you would've told me a Thor movie would do $760 I would've thought you were insane. Especially if you mentioned that's about what "The Batman" did. A Thor movie doing the same as Batman? Get the fukk outta here!

But here we are.

And I have no idea what any of this has to do with my initial point. Which is, people are far more forgiving of the MCU because it builds towards something. And that's 100% facts. I was in "Infinity War", first showing opening day, and literally nobody gave a fukk about how mid some of the MCU was leading up to that moment.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Hell, the entire MCU (minus Spider-Man, obviously) is all characters and teams nobody wanted the cinematic rights to. It was never supposed to take off like it did. "Thor: Love & Thunder" just did $760 million....saying "well, it did less than 'Ragnarok'" or "the MCU isn't doing what it used to" is a moot point because none of this was never supposed to be this successful in the first place.

I mean....20 years ago if you would've told me a Thor movie would do $760 I would've thought you were insane. Especially if you mentioned that's about what "The Batman" did. A Thor movie doing the same as Batman? Get the fukk outta here!

Thor had a full 90-day release compared to The Batman which was pulled by 90% of the theaters after 45-days due to the early release on HBO Max.