the arts thread

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
Well, I see you're using the Andrew Loomis method of measuring the body, which you should do, but it's usually 8 head lengths down to the bottom of the foot, you stopped at the ankle so the limbs are a little long; not to the point were it looks unnatural, but I wasn't sure if this was intentional so I thought I should point it out. There are a few anatomy issues with the hands,ankles,feet ( they can be tough to draw, I know:sadbron:) that make them look off, and the pose is a little stiff; Look into gesture drawing to help make your pictures a little looser and more natural.It can really help:

(The BEST guy to get advice from on youtube, if your into sketching/drawing from life.)

Also, I use this site to use references from for gesture drawing, since it's easier than finding a bunch in real life:
http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/

And when you're laying down colors, you should lay down flat colors at full opacity (I assume you're doing this in photoshop ), then you can lower the opacity some to shade and blend. Although,working with a low opacity can produce some interesting,water color type results imo, it can create some issues if you want to push the image further.

Well the limbs are supposed to look long, that's how I'm drawing my elf characters (they have longer bodies than humans).

But other than that, I also thought the pose was awkward and yes feet and hands are the toughest to draw.

As for the program, I'm using sketchbook pro.

I want to get my drawings to this level
pavus_by_ymirr-d7ks1zl.jpg

because I want to be a character designer for video games.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well the limbs are supposed to look long, that's how I'm drawing my elf characters (they have longer bodies than humans).

But other than that, I also thought the pose was awkward and yes feet and hands are the toughest to draw.

Ahh, okay, well the limbs weren't too bad in the first place so it looks fine. Actually you did alot of things right with anatomy of your character too, and the overall design looks like it's going to be interesting when you finish. And yeah, finding a natural pose for your characters is deceptively tough, one out of place body part can throw the whole pose off.

But I think you're on the right path and can definitely achieve the type of proficiency you want, the fact that you're taking up anatomy and actually making a concerted effort to make sure your proportions are right, are proof of that. Just make sure you keep doing what you're doing, practice has to be deliberate, and if you're doing anything without a teacher, supplement your practice with studying( there are so many free resources that are just a google search away).I've seen alot of talented people just practice aimlessly and not really improve, what you gotta do is take something you think you think you're weak at, and improve upon it. Honestly, when it comes to design and rendering, most of what makes you is hard, smart work, and devotion to your craft; if you got both, you can definitely be great.

I really feel like I gotta post some stuff of my own now, just figuring out what to post :lupe:

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
Ahh, okay, well the limbs weren't too bad in the first place so it looks fine. Actually you did alot of things right with anatomy of your character too, and the overall design looks like it's going to be interesting when you finish. And yeah, finding a natural pose for your characters is deceptively tough, one out of place body part can throw the whole pose off.

But I think you're on the right path and can definitely achieve the type of proficiency you want, the fact that you're taking up anatomy and actually making a concerted effort to make sure your proportions are right, are proof of that. Just make sure you keep doing what you're doing, practice has to be deliberate, and if you're doing anything without a teacher, supplement your practice with studying( there are so many free resources that are just a google search away).I've seen alot of talented people just practice aimlessly and not really improve, what you gotta do is take something you think you think you're weak at, and improve upon it. Honestly, when it comes to design and rendering, most of what makes you is hard, smart work, and devotion to your craft; if you got both, you can definitely be great.

I really feel like I gotta post some stuff of my own now, just figuring out what to post :lupe:
Yeah I was going to have my teacher look over my stuff and thanks, I've come really far especially if you've seen my old stuff.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
I've been sitting on an idea for an idea for an animation exploring the concept of the short period of knowledge that Adam and Eve experienced when they ate the apple
I'm not religious but it seems like it could be interesting, with some really surreal visuals
too bad I can't animate lol

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous

once you get to a certain level of skill, achieving that level of rendering would be easier done in photoshop, painter, or manga studio pro. sketchbook pro is generally used fore line art and its line making tools. rough renders and whatnot. it can be done in it, but a little more tedious and painstaking