the arts thread

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
I'll probably drop some stuff, but I'm in the same boat as @OG_StankBrefs, I dunno if I wanna give up my anonymity like that; I've been around these forums( SOHH included) too long, I know you gotta move real careful in these e-streets:leostare:

I wanna do something specifically for the Coli, but time has been an issue lately.
I totally get that
if you have a tablet, you can eliminate anyone finding info out through exif data tho :patrice:
and :mjcry: at time being an issue
I haven't practiced in 3 weeks :to:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I totally get that
if you have a tablet, you can eliminate anyone finding info out through exif data tho :patrice:
and :mjcry: at time being an issue
I haven't practiced in 3 weeks :to:
It sucks getting older and getting more responsibilities, and seeing your free time just dwindle:mjcry: I just had a baby boy 5 months ago (my first:krs:) and I got a new job 6 months ago working overnights, so it's been a struggle to try and fit art into my days, especially since I'm tired most of the damn time:snooze:. I try to do a speed paint or life drawing every now and then, and some gesture drawings every other day at least(even if it's just 5 or 10 minutes a session) but I haven't sat down and done any major original work in a while. I also got a lot of almost finished shyt on my computer too that I always promise myself I'll get around to finishing :laugh:

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
It sucks getting older and getting more responsibilities, and seeing your free time just dwindle:mjcry: I just had a baby boy 5 months ago (my first:krs:) and I got a new job 6 months ago working overnights, so it's been a struggle to try and fit art into my days, especially since I'm tired most of the damn time:snooze:. I try to do a speed paint or life drawing every now and then, and some gesture drawings every other day at least(even if it's just 5 or 10 minutes a session) but I haven't sat down and done any major original work in a while. I also got a lot of almost finished shyt on my computer too that I always promise myself I'll get around to finishing :laugh:
congratulations on your son!!
what kind of art do you do?

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan
painting techniques? :feedme:
good methods to follow to have progressive improvement in drawing from life? :feedme:

:whoo: Lol well dat's quite a broad question ya got dere, champ. But hea go a lil somethin:

First off, as far as "technique" is concerned... It all depends on what kind of art you're doing in da first place. Dere's so many and eam tho dey all require some basic understandin of color theory and a certain level of draftsmanship...each has dere own,unique level of actual "requirements" in those things.

Knowledge you may require to execute doing figurative, landscape, still life, fine art,etc. type shyt may not be necessarily needed if you were doing abstract/expressional type shyt ya know?

Those latter branches of art don't require you to follow da "rules" of anatomical accuracy, proportions, lighting, key compositions, etc. nearly as much as da former branches I mentioned.

Essentially dere is a quite a bit more "freedom" and "forgiveness" in dat kinda work if you choose to go dat route. So really any "techniques" would moreso come from your own personal experimentations and what organically develops from dat process. And also how/what you want your work to be viewed and interpreted I.e. strokes, thickness of paint, mixed mediums, etc.:yeshrug:

As far as technique in regards to more "direct" art shyt is concerned (portrait, drawing from life, etc.)...its gonna sound very cliche but its da absolutely troof n foundation...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Dere are no shortcuts. You want to get good at drawin/paintin/sculptin shyt?...You have to put in da hours. Which also includes studying...especially dem anatomy books. Dere are a lot of folks who if you put a pitcha in front of em dey can copy dat bish down to da last pixel...but you take dat reference material away n ask em to draw somethin and it will look like a completely different artist did it. :francis:

Reference is a great thing but you do not want to be a a slave to it. Your ability to draw and/or create should not be depended on needin to look at something. Dats why studying/learnin anatomy is sooooooo key in developing into a good artist. Knowing how da muscles form ova da bone which causes da light to hit it a certain way...knowing why/how joints connect & bones move a certain way...having that kinda shyt downloaded into your memory bank not only will help if you're workin from reference but also from your imagination.

Because in order to be able to bend da rules you have to know dem shyts first. Dis is vital especially for anyone seekin a career in illustration, concept art/visual development. You can't design believable monsters,creatures, aliens, characters, etc. without having a strong grasp of human/animal anatomy first. Ya shyt has got to be on point.

But to circle back...again, its just goes back to practice. You cant go from A to C without goin through B.

How good & successful you want to be at it all depends on how much time & sacrifice your willing to do in order to make it happen. I'm talmbout...If you can do it
., 5-6 hours minimum a day....But if you doin it just on some hobby type shyt then disregard what I said n just do what you can when you can.

I'll drop more info/advice if you have any specific questions as best as I can when I can tho. :yeshrug:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
:whoo: Lol well dat's quite a broad question ya got dere, champ. But hea go a lil somethin:

First off, as far as "technique" is concerned... It all depends on what kind of art you're doing in da first place. Dere's so many and eam tho dey all require some basic understandin of color theory and a certain level of draftsmanship...each has dere own,unique level of actual "requirements" in those things.

Knowledge you may require to execute doing figurative, landscape, still life, fine art,etc. type shyt may not be necessarily needed if you were doing abstract/expressional type shyt ya know?

Those latter branches of art don't require you to follow da "rules" of anatomical accuracy, proportions, lighting, key compositions, etc. nearly as much as da former branches I mentioned.

Essentially dere is a quite a bit more "freedom" and "forgiveness" in dat kinda work if you choose to go dat route. So really any "techniques" would moreso come from your own personal experimentations and what organically develops from dat process. And also how/what you want your work to be viewed and interpreted I.e. strokes, thickness of paint, mixed mediums, etc.:yeshrug:

As far as technique in regards to more "direct" art shyt is concerned (portrait, drawing from life, etc.)...its gonna sound very cliche but its da absolutely troof n foundation...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Dere are no shortcuts. You want to get good at drawin/paintin/sculptin shyt?...You have to put in da hours. Which also includes studying...especially dem anatomy books. Dere are a lot of folks who if you put a pitcha in front of em dey can copy dat bish down to da last pixel...but you take dat reference material away n ask em to draw somethin and it will look like a completely different artist did it. :francis:

Reference is a great thing but you do not want to be a a slave to it. Your ability to draw and/or create should not be depended on needin to look at something. Dats why studying/learnin anatomy is sooooooo key in developing into a good artist. Knowing how da muscles form ova da bone which causes da light to hit it a certain way...knowing why/how joints connect & bones move a certain way...having that kinda shyt downloaded into your memory bank not only will help if you're workin from reference but also from your imagination.

Because in order to be able to bend da rules you have to know dem shyts first. Dis is vital especially for anyone seekin a career in illustration, concept art/visual development. You can't design believable monsters,creatures, aliens, characters, etc. without having a strong grasp of human/animal anatomy first. Ya shyt has got to be on point.

But to circle back...again, its just goes back to practice. You cant go from A to C without goin through B.

How good & successful you want to be at it all depends on how much time & sacrifice your willing to do in order to make it happen. I'm talmbout...If you can do it
., 5-6 hours minimum a day....But if you doin it just on some hobby type shyt then disregard what I said n just do what you can when you can.

I'll drop more info/advice if you have any specific questions as best as I can when I can tho. :yeshrug:
dap+rep :wow:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Lol Trust me, I've been tempted many times but dis place has just waaaay too many fukkin wierdos & disgruntled folks who've fallen victim to mah sonnage for me to post anything dat can be traced back to my real life.

Which includes mah artwork because all mah shyt is watermarked/signed and can be linked to either mah portfolio sites, concept art sites/forums, otha art books/galleries I've been associated wit, etc. I really appreciate mah anonymity. Caint have nikkas trynna blow up mah spot like dat ya dig. :francis:

But meh I dunno...maybe I could post some random drawings or paintings n shyt dat can't be traced to anything. Da itch is still kinda dere to do it.

I'll think about it .:patrice:
:dead: me and this guy have had discourse about art, and he's never sonned me and we agree on 99% of the shyt he posts on this site, and he wont bless me with the art. and we prolly know a couple of the same people in the industry. :russ:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really good advice above. Don't be ashamed to use references, but it's important to build up a visual library too; it makes your workflow much more efficient. You gotta put in a lot of hours in too, there is no shortcut for hard work.

congratulations on your son!!
what kind of art do you do?
Thank you! fatherhood is a blessing, I love it:wow:

As for the art I do, I started off aiming to do realistic portraiture(in the vein of someone like Sam Pratt), but I'm aiming to be a conceptual artist now. I also like do fantasy themed work and some anime themed stuff too.

When you begin to take art/digital art serious, you start to have an even deeper appreciation for the art you see from others and all around you. So before I die, I wanna say I can do a little bit in everything, from abstract to hyper-realism.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
Really good advice above. Don't be ashamed to use references, but it's important to build up a visual library too; it makes your workflow much more efficient. You gotta put in a lot of hours in too, there is no shortcut for hard work.

Thank you! fatherhood is a blessing, I love it:wow:

As for the art I do, I started off aiming to do realistic portraiture(in the vein of someone like Sam Pratt), but I'm aiming to be a conceptual artist now. I also like do fantasy themed work and some anime themed stuff too.

When you begin to take art/digital art serious, you start to have an even deeper appreciation for the art you see from others and all around you. So before I die, I wanna say I can do a little bit in everything, from abstract to hyper-realism.
that's legit, I feel the same way, I don't want there to be anything I can't do.
what do your color palettes look like normally?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
that's legit, I feel the same way, I don't want there to be anything I can't do.
what do your color palettes look like normally?
Depends. Like if I'm painting skin and it's someone lighter, with warm lighting present, I like to have a mix of violets and purples for shadows, brownish reds and like a dark salmon pink for midtones, and hints of lighter yellow and orange for highlights. For Darker skin, colors get a bit more saturated and the range of color you'll use shrinks a little bit, since darker skin absorbs more light (highlights aren't as strong); so I use a lot of darker, rich yellowish browns and reddish browns, greenish yellows for cooler shadows. Honestly alot of your palette and what you mix depends on lighting, and the type of mood you're trying to evoke. I kind of just pick my color palette as I go most times( I don't advise this), but I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of how colors interact with each other, so I know what to pick as I go.

jeh

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 🏝️ Of Relevancy
11357067_1611194582460129_4093969592477297370_o.jpg

:thumbsup: