The African Traditional And Diasporic Religions Thread (Santeria, IFA, 21 Divisions, Sanse + etc)

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Peace to everyone in the thread.

I'm trying to do some personal research in to the Gullah Geeche culture and their connection to African Spirituality. When I was in SC I noticed several spiritual similarities to their traditions and Santeria. Anyone know of any books I can look at?

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc

I'm trying to do some personal research in to the Gullah Geeche culture and their connection to African Spirituality. When I was in SC I noticed several spiritual similarities to their traditions and Santeria. Anyone know of any books I can look at?
right now i have africanisms in the gullah dialect by Lorenzo Turner. It has a lot of, obviously, terms that are in gullah that are from the continent. I bought it right when my son was born a couple months ago so I haven't got to reading it properly because this infant stuff is difficult. I really like the book. It is a foundational book for understanding historically-our speech patterns and grammar that lead to the concretization of AAVE/Ebonics.

because of my book im too tired to compile all the books that are on the tip of my tongue with it but honestly taking that query you have gullah and african sprituality should yield a bunch of books on amazon. be weary of the "septum piercers", they've gotten deep in the space and muddied the waters.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
right now i have africanisms in the gullah dialect by Lorenzo Turner. It has a lot of, obviously, terms that are in gullah that are from the continent. I bought it right when my son was born a couple months ago so I haven't got to reading it properly because this infant stuff is difficult. I really like the book. It is a foundational book for understanding historically-our speech patterns and grammar that lead to the concretization of AAVE/Ebonics.

because of my book im too tired to compile all the books that are on the tip of my tongue with it but honestly taking that query you have gullah and african sprituality should yield a bunch of books on amazon. be weary of the "septum piercers", they've gotten deep in the space and muddied the waters.
That is unfortunate. I come from an occult and African spiritual lineage so I'll try to keep an eye out for the bullshyt.

JoogJoint

In my own league.
Daps
Reppin
Outer Space

Since my bloodline is deep into that stuff and a lot of people low-key in SC and GA that I know for a fact are deep in Hoodoo and Vodou and hide behind Protestantism.

Instead of the book, I got access to the source. I'm trying to be initiated and follow in my paternal side footsteps. I like listening to my elders and ancestors and didn't know a lot of ish was that deep, but yeah. :whoa:

My dad his could see and describe spirits in detail and knew a man who could conjure up spirits in the graveyard and make them speak. :damn:

People talk about about Louisiana, but I know for a fact that down here in the Carolinas and Low country Georgia got that good old conjurer ish. It helped some our ancestors here in slave rebellions they don't discuss in school.

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Here is a couple links for you check out bro
Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa - Religion - Nigeria
Odù Ifá | Africa's Sources of Knowledge - Digital Library
Odu Ifa
Odu Ifa | Farinade Olokun
Ifa verses – markwmcginnis' blog
African Traditional Religion : - Sacred Odu selected verses 1 – “Righteousness”

Also here is a book but one thing I want to mention here is that the odu's are usually passed on orally. So with that being said these interpretations of the verses may be of some debate due to them differing ile to ile but here is a book that breaks down the verses
https://www.mediafire.com/file/yuye7gjloa66asb/3zdvi.IFA.D.C.B.G.a.M.i.W.A.pdf

I'll let you know if I find anymore books. I also have books breaking down the dillogun odu's too if you want that just let me know fam.
You still have a copy of that book but not on mediafire?

JoogJoint

In my own league.
Daps
Reppin
Outer Space
Glad to see this is still active. Y'all need to get up on that Kongo Spirituality straight from the motherland. I have an spiritual mentor elder that is an nganga and he educates you on the esoteric mysteries of the Nzambi Ampungu/Mpungu Tulendo. If you scared of spirits or seeing weird stuff this ain't for you, but that's part of the process is opening up your third eye and it destroys what Western Christianity taught us.

It differs from Palo by the way. Learning Kikongo will pretty much be a requirement unlike other Diasporic ATR's, it is for Black Africans and Black Diaspora ONLY and focused behind human practices. Ngangas are shamans in Kongo Spirituality.

Here's a link to get started on this brilliant spiritual mentor:

Bukôngo | The Art and Science of Kongo Spirituality

In my spiritual journey, I found my place where I belong.

:myman:

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Glad to see this is still active. Y'all need to get up on that Kongo Spirituality straight from the motherland. I have an spiritual mentor elder that is an nganga and he educates you on the esoteric mysteries of the Nzambi Ampungu/Mpungu Tulendo. If you scared of spirits or seeing weird stuff this ain't for you, but that's part of the process is opening up your third eye and it destroys what Western Christianity taught us.

It differs from Palo by the way. Learning Kikongo will pretty much be a requirement unlike other Diasporic ATR's, it is for Black Africans and Black Diaspora ONLY and focused behind human practices. Ngangas are shamans in Kongo Spirituality.

Here's a link to get started on this brilliant spiritual mentor:

Bukôngo | The Art and Science of Kongo Spirituality

In my spiritual journey, I found my place where I belong.

:myman:
where are you and howd you meet him

JoogJoint

In my own league.
Daps
Reppin
Outer Space
where are you and howd you meet him

I stumbled upon his videos and they resonated with me then started learning through his courses, and then you go through an initiation. At first was interested in Palo, but I wanted something more authentic. Ngangas are Shamans in Kongo Spirituality. Getting initiated by an actual Kongo elder who is a nganga is the purest and original form of Kongo Spirituality that inspired other Kongo based Diasporic religions. I wanted something authentically Black and not watered down Diasporic influences.

Hoodoo is inspired by Kongo Spirituality. I felt like my ancestors gave me the go ahead because it already aligned what I grew up practicing. You HAVE to be African and/or Black. No outsiders allowed. We African and Black people people from all religion and ATR backgrounds, but the requirement is to have an open mind on the complexity of breaking down higher powers and less focus on human practices you seen in ATR's where you have to constantly tend to an altar and give offerings. You have to learn Kikongo language and terms.

Highly recommend checking out this brotha, very knowledgeable and goes down the rabbit hole about everything from Kemetic and Sumerian Spiritual Science and undo all that European Western bullsh_t we've learned. You have to open minded and not scared of spirits.

Dr. Luyaluka is continuing the tradition of Malidoma Some:
In Memory of Malidoma Somé, 1956-2021 - Daily Meditations with Matthew Fox

Look into it, it may interest you. More Black Americans are getting more in tuned with the Kongo and Angola roots which is ancient and had close ties with Kemet and the Sumerians.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
I stumbled upon his videos and they resonated with me then started learning through his courses, and then you go through an initiation. At first was interested in Palo, but I wanted something more authentic. Ngangas are Shamans in Kongo Spirituality. Getting initiated by an actual Kongo elder who is a nganga is the purest and original form of Kongo Spirituality that inspired other Kongo based Diasporic religions. I wanted something authentically Black and not watered down Diasporic influences.

Hoodoo is inspired by Kongo Spirituality. I felt like my ancestors gave me the go ahead because it already aligned what I grew up practicing. You HAVE to be African and/or Black. No outsiders allowed. We African and Black people people from all religion and ATR backgrounds, but the requirement is to have an open mind on the complexity of breaking down higher powers and less focus on human practices you seen in ATR's where you have to constantly tend to an altar and give offerings. You have to learn Kikongo language and terms.

Highly recommend checking out this brotha, very knowledgeable and goes down the rabbit hole about everything from Kemetic and Sumerian Spiritual Science and undo all that European Western bullsh_t we've learned. You have to open minded and not scared of spirits.

Dr. Luyaluka is continuing the tradition of Malidoma Some:
In Memory of Malidoma Somé, 1956-2021 - Daily Meditations with Matthew Fox

Look into it, it may interest you. More Black Americans are getting more in tuned with the Kongo and Angola roots which is ancient and had close ties with Kemet and the Sumerians.
I’m happy that you found your place.

Could you clarify if this Kongo spirituality you encountered now is disconnected from Christianity?

Meaning it’s (closer to) the pre-colonial Kongo Spirituality.

I ask this, because the history of Christianity in the Kongo region can’t be overlooked or ignored when we investigate what to obtain and extract.

Remaining critical when we navigate history and spirituality is important.

IMG-6159.jpg

IMG-2205.jpg

IMG-6165.jpg

Last edited:

JoogJoint

In my own league.
Daps
Reppin
Outer Space
I’m happy that you found your place.

Could you clarify if this Kongo spirituality you encountered now is disconnected from Christianity?

Meaning it’s (closer to) the pre-colonial Kongo Spirituality.

I ask this, because the history of Christianity in the Kongo region can’t be overlooked or ignored when we investigate what to obtain and extract.

Remaining critical when we navigate history and spirituality is important.

IMG-6159.jpg

IMG-2205.jpg

IMG-6165.jpg
You would have to be VERY open minded because what he would teach you is the focus on Pro-Black Spiritual Science and completely blow your mind on how Western Christian is European babble. Kongo Kingdom contrary to belief had written text that was destroyed by Conquistadors and Christianity took over. You learn how it all ties into Kemetic and Sumerian Spiritual Science. He took over from Malidoma who now transitioned and even shows up on people's dreams :lupe:and shatters everything Black Americans especially learned in the church. Jesus (you heard that correctly) was not who we should be worshipping, he was a human Nzambi Mpungu spoke through, but learned the Most High can speak through anybody he chooses is worthy. We also learned of Nzambici is the female counterpart. We were taught wrong about the Creator, that's a different entity that below Nzambi Mpungu and Nzambici who is more hands on with what goes on Earth, and then you have the Holy Ancestors. We're communal and in a group like other ATR, it's a closed practice, it opens your third eye to a higher level of consciousness and even go into how there's actually several layers of Heaven and Hell and the spiritual realm is more complex and of course how the "devil" and "Satan" is made up B.S. because ATR doesn't not belief in that, however, there are demonic entities and ancestors (yes, we have those) and the true origins of Black African people and the indigenous people comes from a more higher plane which you have to be initiated to go further than that.

You have to undo a lot of Western Christianity beliefs and throw most of the in the trash because when you start to learn the esoteric knowledge the Bantu elder provides to you, you would see a lot of what were taught was some bullsh_t in church.

You have elders that are ngangas (they are part of Bantu people) that either come to a small place in NY and you will see all kinds of spirits and other things you may not understand and it might scare some people. I'm in the Southeast around practitioners and I'm clairvoyant so that doesn't bother me. Haha

All Black people (it's very strict about that) are welcomed as long as you are ready to leave Western ideals behind and see how White b*stardized African Spiritual Science. We are open minded in talking about Hoodoo, Obeah, Haitian Vodou, Vodun, Ifa, and Palo because some are practitioners themselves. Hoodoo straight up is the Diasporic child of Kongo Spirituality so much the Bukongo Cosmogram is in some churches and why Gullah Geechee folks walk counterclockwise in ring shouts down here.
I definitely recommend reading Dr. Luyaluka's books, Kemetic Book Of The Dead, learn the Book of Enoch, and believe or not the Bible because it's not what people think it is. People analyzed the Bible incorrectly, including pastors. Learn about Osiris (Ausar), Horus (Heru), and Isis which are important including Anubis (his skin represents melanin of Black people).

Ever since I found my tribe of like minded individuals and learned from my spiritual elder I laugh how fake all this stuff is in life and how people find what we believe is in "evil' because Non-Blacks took what Black already knew about science and the universe and pervert it for their narrative and made human practice belief systems and religions.

The Holy Ancestors and primordial higher spirits can be terrifying and scarier then demons themselves because they never were humans and do not have human like characteristics, but they are made to be that way not to frighten you, but to scare off demonic forces. Remember how pastors in church always used "fear" to brown beat us into following God's words? That's a lie, we're not supposed in life of constant submission and fear, but veneration and learn the higher esoteric metaphysical meaning of your mission on Earth before you transition.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I wrote this following my uncle's funeral for a Nigerian newspaper aimed at Yoruba people. A lot of them were PISSED but I didn't give a fukk.

I just buried my uncle, Chief Adedayo Olugundudu, who spent his life being the vanguard of the Yoruba faith. Installed as the first Araba of the US & Puerto Rico by the former Ooni Sijuwade, he died having published three books on the spiritual aspects of Yoruba and was a world-renowned Babalowo.

Watching the Puerto Rican, African American, Brazilian, and Trinidadian Ifa followers bury my uncle in a traditional Yoruba ceremony with the pomp and pageantry of the old ways was a testament to his work. But for me, it was also a bit of an embarrassment. We as Yorubas run away from that part of us, running away from who we spiritually are and what we as Yorubas created, opting to call it deviltry. I've always had an unease as a Christian, knowing the route taken for this foreign faith we call our own and what my folks had to forego to take it on. Being an Ife prince myself, it makes it all the more unsettling.

So, as I sat there watching folks outside of Yorubaland go so hard carrying traditions and following a faith we as Yorubas distance ourselves from, I felt a sort of way. I encountered guilt. But as a friend of mine said when discussing this with him, the diaspora keep the tradition more as they are hungry for it while we, in our need to be traditional, do not.

So let's celebrate the style and sophistication we saw from the Ijebu people my mom talked to me about as a kid, saying no one parties better or shows out more than them. But let's not be comfortable in only embracing certain aspects of who we are while foregoing other parts. I personally do not have that comfort, knowing that we collectively as Yoruba people cast aside a major part of who we are while the diaspora outside of Nigeria carry it further.

I believe my uncle would have wanted his passing to make us pause and reflect on the work he put in carrying on our spiritual traditions. It’s certainly given me reason.

Last edited:

ReasonableMatic

Daps
I wrote this following my uncle's funeral for a Nigerian newspaper aimed at Yoruba people. A lot of them were PISSED but I didn't give a fukk.

I just buried my uncle, Chief Adedayo Olugundudu, who spent his life being the vanguard of the Yoruba faith. Installed as the first Araba of the US & Puerto Rico by the former Ooni Sijuwade, he died having published three books on the spiritual aspects of Yoruba and was a world-renowned Babalowo.

Watching the Puerto Rican, African American, Brazilian, and Trinidadian Ifa followers bury my uncle in a traditional Yoruba ceremony with the pomp and pageantry of the old ways was a testament to his work. But for me, it was also a bit of an embarrassment. We as Yorubas run away from that part of us, running away from who we spiritually are and what we as Yorubas created, opting to call it deviltry. I've always had an unease as a Christian, knowing the route taken for this foreign faith we call our own and what my folks had to forego to take it on. Being an Ife prince myself, it makes it all the more unsettling.

So, as I sat there watching folks outside of Yorubaland go so hard carrying traditions and following a faith we as Yorubas distance ourselves from, I felt a sort of way. I encountered guilt. But as a friend of mine said when discussing this with him, the diaspora keep the tradition more as they are hungry for it while we, in our need to be traditional, do not.

So let's celebrate the style and sophistication we saw from the Ijebu people my mom talked to me about as a kid, saying no one parties better or shows out more than them. But let's not be comfortable in only embracing certain aspects of who we are while foregoing other parts. I personally do not have that comfort, knowing that we collectively as Yoruba people cast aside a major part of who we are while the diaspora outside of Nigeria carry it further.
I believe my uncle would have wanted his passing to make us pause and reflect on the work he put in carrying on our spiritual traditions. It’s certainly given me reason.
This is a great article, it would be great if you could DM it to me?

I think something that Africans sometimes miss and would help to adjust in the dialogue about identity and culture, is the perspective towards African Diasporians as knowing “less”.

Africa and The Americas were both being colonized at the same time.

Certain Traditions were preserved in The Americas that weren’t kept in Africa.

Africans even travel to Suriname, Haiti, Cuba and Brazil to recover what was lost on the continent, but was preserved there.

It makes sense because of the history of these countries.
For example.

Winti from Suriname being the only Diasporian ATR that never syncretized with Christianity to survive, because of its extreme secrecy until 1971, when the ban on its practice was lifted.
Vodou from Haiti being able to be practiced under own agency and self-determination after their self-liberation in 1804.
Lucumi / Santería from Cuba being able to be practiced in the heart of Havana and Matanzas.
Candomblé from Brazil being able to be practiced by large Black communities.

Diasporian ATRs have songs from Ancient times being passed on generation on generation to preserve connections to Africa, down to the Kingdoms they were from.

The highest amount of Africanism in the Americas are not surprisingly found in the Diasporians ATRs and Creole languages.

Ironically, these Africanisms that are a testimony of African identity and African cultural retention in the Americas are the most demonized and under attack from countless directions.

• White ppl, often Christian
• own Black ppl, often Christian
• non-Black ppl of different religious backgrounds
• and the most saddest one of all, Christian and Muslim Africans themselves who they inherited and preserved these traditions from.

At the same time, the most beautiful connections happen between African Diasporians and continental Africans that are open to ATRs too.

How they/we discuss similarities, preservations and adaptations in our ATRs are some of the most wholesome and healing interactions I’ve ever seen and experienced.

Last edited: