Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
and some of the worst most violent places in Africa are also not Francophone ones. South-Sudan, Sudan, Somalia, Nigeria, Libya, ...
Ok. My point still stands, especially since France loves intervening in its former colonies

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
But there are nation states who've succeeded in the same time so equating age with improvement is dangerous.
Those arent the norm. And really, how many nation states are first world/industrialized 50 yrs after their establishment?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Norm?

Whomever the elite choose or are forced to.
I cant even think of any nations that industrialized to first world status in less than 50-60 years from founding besides Singapore and maybe South Korea

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I cant even think of any nations that industrialized to first world status in less than 50-60 years from founding besides Singapore and maybe South Korea

I'm not sure "when it was founded" has to do with the amount of time it actually takes..

And most nations were founded 100s years ago so that kind of a "duh"

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Do you understand what im saying?

I get it. I just think its a red herring. The idea that executing a plan to industrialize materializes with time just doesn't make sense to me.

Lack of leadership, capital and institutions can continue indefinitely with time.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I get it. I just think its a red herring. The idea that executing a plan to industrialize materializes with time just doesn't make sense to me.

Lack of leadership, capital and institutions can continue indefinitely with time.
Youre right. But I'd like to think that based on other nation's histories, African nations would be following a similar fate. The diversity of these nations also doesnt help as most nations are nation-states before they industrialize

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Thomas Sankara increased the production of wheat from 1700 kg per hectare to 3800 kg per hectare in just three years, built roads and railway without foreign aid and planted over 10 million trees to prevent desertification.

Africa has the most concentration of resources on the planet we need speak on that variable as well.
Ive never heard of dude but based off his Wiki dude was the truth :salute:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
But I'd like to think that based on other nation's histories, African nations would be following a similar fate.

Such as? It shouldn't take Africans as long as nations founded in the 1400s nor should they have to follow the "European historical blueprint" to get there. It can be done and has been done.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Such as? It shouldn't take Africans as long as nations founded in the 1400s nor should they have to follow the "European historical blueprint" to get there. It can be done and has been done.
Its only been done by a handful of nations, most nations take at least 100 plus years to reach first world status. And im starting to think you need an autocratic leader like a Kagame or Lee Kuan Yew

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Its only been done by a handful of nations, most nations take at least 100 plus years to reach first world status. And im starting to think you need an autocratic leader like a Kagame or Lee Kuan Yew

Same conclusion I've come to...

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Its only been done by a handful of nations, most nations take at least 100 plus years to reach first world status.

Industrialization itself is only 200-150 years old and those were the first nations wading the waters without a blueprint. Its not a secret or an unknown anymore so I'm not buying the time frame you're given, but yes you do need a strong leader (not Kagame) but also tons of capital and a private/public sector that builds institutions.

Sonni

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok. My point still stands, especially since France loves intervening in its former colonies
I get what you trying to say but I think more institutionally unstable fits better than more violent.

Sonni

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
exactly what I think. Senegal already has a good base (by african standards), with a visionary benevolent autocrat like Kagame it would take giant steps towards development. Democracy is slowing us down way too much.