Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

Scoop

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Tampa, FL
Nigeria is a beautiful country and the cities are really catching up. Those women look amazing too. :wow:

But there's still massive poverty in the rural areas and the NE region of the country is constantly threatened by Muslim extremists trying to establish Sharia Law. :pacspit:

Dope thread though. My first time seeing it but I'm going to try and look through the whoe thing and contribute though. Basically the kind of development Asia has been going through the last 20 years, will be Africa in 15-20 years.

Kitsch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
London
I shouldn't really be doing this but y'all my brehs...

A few years ago Marlon Jackson came to visit Nigeria and stayed in Badagry (at my fathers hotel), they got to talking and built a relationship. Marlon was in Nigeria with the intent on helping his family plan a luxury resort and museum in Badagry.

Coverage of the story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...sons-brother-planning-slavery-theme-park.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7858010.stm

http://theguardianlifemagazine.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/marlon-jacksonmy-mission-to-badagry.html

I'm unsure about the number of times Marlon visited Nigeria (in regard to this venture) but I know he stayed at my fathers hotel at least twice. Things have gotten quiet since then and I haven't heard anything in regard to the project for roughly 4 years but I thought I'd share with you a coipy of the business proposal (there is also a video but I'm unsure how I'd share it with you since I'm really not meant to be doing this to begin with).

http://www.mediafire.com/view/a14zx4ybaaekb2w/BUSINESS_PROSPECTIVE.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/beq5dbnll555wfr/Badagry_Critical_Info.pdf

@Poitier @bdizzle @KOohbt

:mjpls:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I shouldn't really be doing this but y'all my brehs...

A few years ago Marlon Jackson came to visit Nigeria and stayed in Badagry (at my fathers hotel), they got to talking and built a relationship. Marlon was in Nigeria with the intent on helping his family plan a luxury resort and museum in Badagry.

Coverage of the story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...sons-brother-planning-slavery-theme-park.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7858010.stm

http://theguardianlifemagazine.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/marlon-jacksonmy-mission-to-badagry.html

I'm unsure about the number of times Marlon visited Nigeria (in regard to this venture) but I know he stayed at my fathers hotel at least twice. Things have gotten quiet since then and I haven't heard anything in regard to the project for roughly 4 years but I thought I'd share with you a coipy of the business proposal (there is also a video but I'm unsure how I'd share it with you since I'm really not meant to be doing this to begin with).

http://www.mediafire.com/view/a14zx4ybaaekb2w/BUSINESS_PROSPECTIVE.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/beq5dbnll555wfr/Badagry_Critical_Info.pdf

@Poitier @bdizzle @KOohbt

:mjpls:

What about black on black crime breh :comeon:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
US-Africa Trade Gets a Boost With Renewal of AGOA

The U.S. Congress has renewed a 15-year-old law that allows made-in-Africa goods to sail into the U.S. duty-free.

That makes Africa the latest continent wrapped up in a spree of trade legislation clearing through Congress.

The African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA), which had been due to expire at the end of September, gives sub-Saharan African nations duty-free access to U.S. markets for certain goods such as textiles. It was packaged with another bill to extend a program of assistance to American workers who are shown to be hurt by overseas competition.

Congress cleared the legislation a day after it gave President Barack Obama “fast-track” trade authority to put trade deals, such as the impending Trans-Pacific Partnership, before Congress for an up-or-down vote.

While the fight over the workers-aid program, Trade Adjustment Assistance, stole the spotlight, the measure is also designed to help another set of factory workers hard-hit by Asia’s rise: Africans.

AGOA has had a considerable impact on sub-Saharan Africa’s clothing industry and is a key part of the reason that textile plants have popped up across the region. It also explains why the trousers Americans buy at Walmart are increasingly from countries such as Ghana.

Lately, though, the law hasn’t encouraged much investment. African industrialists like Chid Liberty, who owns a T-shirt factory in Liberia, have had to worry that a gridlocked Congress would let the bill expire this September. (Recently, Liberty has also had to deal with unfounded fears that Ebola could spread through clothing shipments.)

WSJ Frontiers Newsletter

Instead, Congress renewed the law for another 10 years. The final step is for President Obama to sign it.

Liberty also worries that the Trans Pacific Partnership is likely to extend many of the same benefits to Africa’s competitors in Asia, where the cost of electricity, shipping, and business are generally much less.

“It’s absolutely a threat… that some Asian countries will get the same preferences,” said Liberty, who owns Liberia’s Liberty and Justice. “It was designed to say, let’s make it a little more even for an African country to compete with an Asian country… We need to give them a chance to stand up on their feet, before we cut their advantages from under their feet.”

AGOA’s renewal is as good as certain: President Obama promised on Thursday afternoon to sign it into law it as soon as it reaches his desk.

http://blogs.wsj.com/frontiers/2015/06/25/us-africa-trade-gets-a-boost-with-renewal-of-agoa/

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
CIvdEkoWUAAT99o.jpg

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Nigeria's Buhari May Not Appoint Ministers Until September

FILE - Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari speaks during a news conference after the Summit of Heads of State and Government of The Lake Chad Basin Commission (LCBC) in Abuja, Nigeria, June 11, 2015.
June 30, 2015 2:22 PM

ABUJA, NIGERIA—
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari may not name a cabinet until September as he takes time to find credible ministers and build a government untainted by the corruption of the past, a senior official and party sources said.

Buhari swept to power in March on an anti-graft ticket and was sworn in May 29, but critics are starting to ask why ministers for Africa's biggest economy have yet to be unveiled a month after he came into power.

His defeat of incumbent Goodluck Jonathan was seen as a positive step for Africa's top oil producer, given the corruption scandals that have blighted previous administrations.

But Nigeria's financial markets are starting to suffer as the postelection euphoria fades and the lack of a cabinet leaves investors waiting in vain for policy direction on issues as important as the currency and petroleum investment.

"It will take the next two months before ministers can come on board. Bringing them in now may disrupt the cleanup going on. So Nigerians just have to be patient," presidential media adviser Garba Shehu told Reuters. "We need to clean up the mess everywhere before the ministers can come."

Fighting Insurgency

Buhari's anti-corruption drive has been at the heart of his moves so far, alongside efforts to establish a military force with Cameroon, Chad and Niger to fight the six-year Boko Haram Islamist insurgency in the northeast.

While Buhari has not named any ministers, he dissolved the board of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) last week, and the state oil firm's management may be next to go.

The National Economic Council, a presidential advisory group that met this week for the first time since Buhari was inaugurated, said the NNPC had kept nearly half Nigeria's oil revenues from 2012 to May 2015, and it promised an investigation.

Parliament also agreed last week to investigate contracts between the NNPC and oil trading houses, in which crude was swapped for refined fuel products, on the ground that there was a gap between the value of the oil delivered and fuel received.

Power Struggle?

"President Buhari's cabinet won't be ready until early September because he is not in a hurry," a senior member of his All Progressives Congress (APC) party said. "He is just being meticulous so that he can bring in credible and competent hands."

However, some APC insiders say a power struggle between Buhari and party leader Bola Tinubu, a former Lagos state governor and one of Nigeria's most formidable political godfathers, lies behind the delays.

The opposition People's Democratic Party (PDP) said it was concerned Buhari had not made key appointments and that the first month of his tenure had been "all motion, no movement."

Yvonne Mhango, sub-Saharan Africa economist at Renaissance Capital, said the uncertainty was exacerbating jitters about the outlook for an economy battered by depressed oil prices.

"We hope we'll get clarity on what sort of policies we should expect and investors can make decisions on the back of that," Mhango said.

http://www.voanews.com/content/nige...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Nigeria's Buhari puts oil sector under the scanner

Abuja (AFP) - Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday vowed to streamline the country's oil and gas sector to boost revenues and get Africa's biggest crude producer on a firmer financial footing.

He earlier backed state governors to probe alleged plundering of a reserve account and why potentially billions of dollars in oil revenue were allegedly not paid into government coffers.

Both measures come as Buhari tries to fulfil his pre-election pledge to tackle widespread graft and waste, particularly in the oil sector which provides most of the government's revenue.

He told the heads of oil major Exxon-Mobil and the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas Company that politicking and "bureaucratic bottlenecks" by multiple state agencies had hit operations.

The delegations were told "his administration will undertake appropriate reforms and implement fresh policies to boost national income from oil and gas production", according to his office.

It would also improve security to increase investment in the sector, as oil theft, maritime piracy and pipeline vandalism had exacerbated the global fall in the price of crude.

- 'Missing, mismanaged, stolen' -

People queue with jerrycans to buy fuel at Mobil filling station in Lagos on May 21, 2015 (AFP Photo …

Reforming Nigeria's notoriously opaque oil sector is just one task on a long to-do list for Buhari, with Africa's largest economy in terms of GDP hit hard by the halving of crude prices since 2014.

Government projects have been put on hold or scrapped and this year's budget reviewed.

Many public sector workers have not been paid for months and last week Buhari said his predecessor Goodluck Jonathan's administration had left the treasury "virtually empty".

Buhari has been advised to overhaul the state-run Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and scrap a controversial fuel subsidy scheme that critics say is ripe for fraud.

Last week, he dismissed the entire board of the NNPC, which is widely seen as riddled with corruption, and on Monday evening further signalled his intent by approving the governors' probe.

The governor of southern Edo state, Adams Oshiomhole, said a four-man panel will look at NNPC accounts on crude oil sales between 2012 and May this year.

President-elect Mohammadu Buhari (R) shakes hands with then president Goodluck Jonathan as he receiv …
"The NNPC claimed to have earned 8.1 trillion naira ($40 billion, 36 billion euros), what NNPC paid into the Federation Account... was 4.3 trillion naira," he said.

"What it means is that NNPC withheld and spent 3.8 trillion naira... That tells you how much is missing, what is mismanaged, what is stolen. These are huge figures," he alleged.

The governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Lamido Sanusi, last year claimed $20 billion in oil revenue had not been remitted from 2012 to 2014.

Jonathan's government disputed the figures and in the political row that followed, Sanusi was dismissed.

Oshiomhole said the panel would also look into a massive dip in Nigeria's excess crude account, into which the difference between government-set oil prices and the international rate is deposited.

He said the "rainy day" account has plunged to $2 billion from $4.1 billion in November 2014.

- 'Sickening rot' -

Buhari, a former military ruler with a reputation for an autocratic stance on graft and "indiscipline", is just one month into his presidency and yet to appoint a cabinet.

The spokesman for Buhari's All Progressives Congress (APC) party, Lai Mohammed, told reporters in Lagos on Tuesday that the excess crude account fund had been depleted "without explanation".

"The rot met by the Buhari administration is sickening and the president is working hard to plug all loopholes for siphoning public funds, in addition to recovering looted public funds," he added.

"This is just the beginning of the fight against corruption," he added.

"It will no longer be business as usual as the Buhari administration seeks to make sure that every kobo (0.01 naira) of national funds is spent for the benefit of Nigerians, not to fill the deep pockets of a few fat cats," he added.

Former finance minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala's spokesman immediately dismissed the claim of unauthorised spending as "false, malicious and totally without foundation".

The APC claims were a "political witch-hunt". All spending had been accounted for and published, said Paul Nwabuikwu.

https://news.yahoo.com/nigerias-buhari-puts-oil-sector-under-scanner-212623281.html#pq=7wvWOf

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
I know the country of Lesotho hasn't been brought up in the thread and due to its small size, not even thought about, but what's happening (silent coup) there is wild and has potential to spill into SA if they don't control this

Daps
Well let me make a return to this thread while Im free..

First here are some vidoes/clips of the most popular show in Nigeria presently. This is just to show you guys what the show is about

MTN Project Fame

some of my favourite clips

Now project Fame 2015 is underway and they are having auditions around the country. They also have auditions in a few other west african countries like Ghana e.t.c

Here are some pictures

Abuja auditions
CH8jVwDWcAAYyVp.jpg
CH8jWFUWcAAcDDp.jpg

Abuja Judges
CIBaD3iWsAAsGqT.jpg

some pictures from Portharcourt Nigeria

CICJ_8dUsAARkkg.jpg
CICKDQjUAAARrSG.jpg
CICKBWSUEAE4uSo.jpg
CIFYNxsW8AA3SbS.jpg

Ibadan Nigeria auditions

CIfg97xVEAEX-l-.jpg
CIfg_0CUwAA4u9x.jpg
CIf4_2vW8AAmAMk.jpg
CIf4_3CWcAAoPZy.jpg

Lagos, Nigeria auditions

CI_3kmOWIAAkL-z.jpg
CJEmz58UcAAL7Kn.jpg
CJEp2iKUwAAI3eo.jpg
CJEVde0WcAACepx.jpg
CJERTP1W8AEw5RY.jpg

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra

First here are some vidoes/clips of the most popular show in Nigeria presently. This is just to show you guys what the show is about

MTN Project Fame

Now project Fame 2015 is underway and they are having auditions around the country. They also have auditions in a few other west african countries like Ghana e.t.c

Here are some pictures

Abuja auditions
CH8jVwDWcAAYyVp.jpg
CH8jWFUWcAAcDDp.jpg

Abuja Judges
CIBaD3iWsAAsGqT.jpg

CICJ_8dUsAARkkg.jpg
CICKDQjUAAARrSG.jpg
CICKBWSUEAE4uSo.jpg
CIFYNxsW8AA3SbS.jpg

Ibadan Nigeria auditions

CIfg97xVEAEX-l-.jpg
CIfg_0CUwAA4u9x.jpg
CIf4_2vW8AAmAMk.jpg
CIf4_3CWcAAoPZy.jpg

Lagos, Nigeria auditions

CI_3kmOWIAAkL-z.jpg
CJEmz58UcAAL7Kn.jpg
CJEp2iKUwAAI3eo.jpg
CJEVde0WcAACepx.jpg
CJERTP1W8AEw5RY.jpg

Love how they're singing classics like Seun Rere:stylin:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
i was rewatching 'Naij - A History of Nigeria by Jide Olanrewaju' for the 50th time and finally got the name of this gem.

it's extra tight and will rock ur soul! put ur best headset on.

Fela Kuti - Sorrow Tears & Blood (Original Extended Version)

536803-img-30_zps2384d79f.jpg

Shango

That's a dope ass statue.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

MTN Project Fame

Here are some pictures

Abuja auditions
CH8jVwDWcAAYyVp.jpg
CH8jWFUWcAAcDDp.jpg

Abuja Judges
CIBaD3iWsAAsGqT.jpg

CICJ_8dUsAARkkg.jpg
CICKDQjUAAARrSG.jpg
CICKBWSUEAE4uSo.jpg
CIFYNxsW8AA3SbS.jpg

Ibadan Nigeria auditions

CIfg97xVEAEX-l-.jpg
CIfg_0CUwAA4u9x.jpg
CIf4_2vW8AAmAMk.jpg
CIf4_3CWcAAoPZy.jpg

Lagos, Nigeria auditions

CI_3kmOWIAAkL-z.jpg
CJEmz58UcAAL7Kn.jpg
CJEp2iKUwAAI3eo.jpg
CJEVde0WcAACepx.jpg
CJERTP1W8AEw5RY.jpg

That's dope as hell. Is there something like the Oscars or Grammy's in Nigeria?

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
That's dope as hell. Is there something like the Oscars or Grammy's in Nigeria?

Bon (Nigerian) and AMAA (Africa).... I don't follow them closely but used to read about the winners when i visited http://www.nigeriafilms.com/ site everyday. was hooked on Nollywood for a minute.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_of_Nollywood_Awards

The Africa Movie Academy Awards, popularly known as AMAA and The AMA Awards, are presented annually to recognize excellence of professionals in the film industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Movie_Academy_Awards