Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

Daps

Decades after the European powers carved up the African continent for their own imperial needs, Africa is undergoing a new wave of resource and strategic exploitation – some are calling it the new scramble for Africa.

The United States is increasing its footprint across Africa with AFRICOM, fighting terrorism and ensuring stability are the trumpeted motivations. Resource security is a more hushed objective.

But it is not just about the US.

During the last decade, China's trade with Africa not only caught up with America's, it has more than doubled it.

The new battle for Africa does not deploy strong-arm tactics, it is now a soft power game: economic and humanitarian aid, interest-free loans, preferential trade agreements and investments in infrastructure are currency across a continent that is, for the world's established and emerging powers, seemingly up for grabs.

India, Brazil and Russia are all invested in Africa's present and future, and old imperial powers like France are fixing to retain their loosening grip on the riches of former colonies.

So what does all this mean for Africa and Africans?

Empire travels to Kenya to examine the continent at the centre of the world as it is courted, cajoled and carved up by global powers to its East and West.

i didint watch the video. but I will watch it now.

plus one thing to remember is that you cant look at africa as a monolith. So the impact the chineese or Brazilians will have on a country like Mauritius wont be the same in ghana.

Plus frankly I think this whole africa colonizing talk is just a bunch of fear mongering. Even africom when its all said and done wont have a great effect in my opinion. Right now things look bleak but one should have faith. The africans today are not the same as 20 years ago. We are more knowledgeable about what is going on around us and more vocal. Africans are not helpless.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
i didint watch the video. but I will watch it now.

plus one thing to remember is that you cant look at africa as a monolith. So the impact the chineese or Brazilians will have on a country like Mauritius wont be the same in ghana.

Plus frankly I think this whole africa colonizing talk is just a bunch of fear mongering. Even africom when its all said and done wont have a great effect in my opinion. Right now things look bleak but one should have faith. The africans today are not the same as 20 years ago. We are more knowledgeable about what is going on around us and more vocal. Africans are not helpless.

It was pretty objective (ended on a positive note) and had a host of young people across African nations and foreign policy experts (from each developed nation) giving their insights. Thought it was well done.

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
Rwanda is doing exceptionally well. They have been hitting home runs on their economic policies. The one thing that is making me scared for that country is the fact that their leader Paul kagame is not doing anything to bring Hutu and Tutsi's closer together. He seems to harbor deep hatred for the Hutu's and you can see it in the way he runs the country.
I fear for the country when he leaves office... Now Of course the genocide of 1994 wont repeat itself but the potential for violence is high.
Yup, and this is with no natural resources either. same as Cape Verde. I really admire how they are being ran.

Blah1991

Banned
Daps
If I only had once chance to visit...which country would you recommend I go to?
I think Nairobi would be a great experience. I would recommend Lagos, but if you don't know anyone there it can be a bit overwhelming. If you have any Nigerian friends who can guide you around then Lagos would be a lot of fun.

Daps
@Dreamestorical is a hero for all of this. That dedication :wow:

We're gonna change Nigeria and Africa for the better breh :wow:

yep. Right now i have a plan to educate Nigerian youth on making money on the stock market through options strategies trading. teaching them strategies like iron condor, vertical spread e.t.c
It has really helped me and I know Nigerians will take it and run with it. We have to learn to not to live from paycheck to paycheck. Financial independence should be the goal for all.
Nigerias economy is growing fast and the government is about to implement a mortgage and credit scheme to increase the buying power of Nigeria's consumers so that they can purchase houses, locally made cars, and other goods. It is a good policy and I am happy but I fear that the debt problems that the average individual deals with in the west will come to Nigeria if we are not careful.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/busi...-out-vehicle-credit-finance-scheme-by-october

THE Federal Government, Thursday, unfolded plans to introduce a vehicle credit finance scheme in the country by October, to promote patronage of locally made vehicles

The Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Olusegun Aganga, at a press briefing in Lagos, said that with the new financing scheme, Nigerians will be able to buy new cars assembled in Nigeria at an interest rate of not more that 10 per cent, repayable over a period of four years

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=74260
Also, the Nigerian Mortgage Refinancing Company (NMRC) which was launched last year will bridge the cost of residential mortgages, stimulate availability of good houses to Nigerians and reducing affordability and gaps to finance.”

In his speech, Managing Director of FMBN, Gimba Ya’u Kumo commended the present administration on its efforts at providing quality and affordable housing to Nigerians.

http://businessdayonline.com/2014/0...c-need-recognizes-growth-impact/#.U9cPavldWSo

According to the president, all government’s programmes have been developed and consistently pursued to promote home-ownership, reduce affordability gap in housing finance and ensure sustainable urbanisation for the benefit of Nigerians, adding, “in view of its importance to rapid social-economic development, we shall not relent in our efforts until we provide affordable and adequate shelter to citizens”.

Continuing, the president said that “the readiness of FMBN to provide mortgage facilities to contributors to NHF at 6 percent interest rate over a period of 30 years is a significant step in ensuring availability and affordability of mortgage to interested contributors and potential home owners”, advising that all Nigerians who wished to avail themselves of opportunity to purchase any of these buildings plus all workers in both public and private sectors to embrace the NHF scheme because of its usefulness

Daps
One of my favourite devleopments in Nigeria. I am really excited about this. It will do a great damage to the colorism issues trying to creep into Nigeria. We dont need MAC in Nigeria.

Cosmetics geared towards black women skin tone.

What began as a hobby for a young entrepreneur 16 years ago has grown to become a makeup enterprise that is fast expanding in Nigeria and with plans to go regional. One of Nigeria's leading cosmetic brands, House of Tara International develops a variety of makeup products designed for African skin and provides a homegrown alternative to expensive imported brands. Cctv's Peter wakaba reports.

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami

Decades after the European powers carved up the African continent for their own imperial needs, Africa is undergoing a new wave of resource and strategic exploitation – some are calling it the new scramble for Africa.

The United States is increasing its footprint across Africa with AFRICOM, fighting terrorism and ensuring stability are the trumpeted motivations. Resource security is a more hushed objective.

But it is not just about the US.

During the last decade, China's trade with Africa not only caught up with America's, it has more than doubled it.

The new battle for Africa does not deploy strong-arm tactics, it is now a soft power game: economic and humanitarian aid, interest-free loans, preferential trade agreements and investments in infrastructure are currency across a continent that is, for the world's established and emerging powers, seemingly up for grabs.

India, Brazil and Russia are all invested in Africa's present and future, and old imperial powers like France are fixing to retain their loosening grip on the riches of former colonies.

So what does all this mean for Africa and Africans?

Empire travels to Kenya to examine the continent at the centre of the world as it is courted, cajoled and carved up by global powers to its East and West.

Damn, France still has that much grip in certain African countries?:why:

@Dreamestorical is there any updates that some of the African countries are trying to break free from France?

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nigeria has an indigenous car manufacturer called Innoson motors and the government is really suopporting it. Plus with the recent Auto Policy we have 16 Car manufactruers in the country setting up shop and we will have a total of 30 assembling/manufacturing plants set up when its all said and done. So we can expect quite a bit of skill transfer.

http://ngrguardiannews.com/news/nat...30-vehicle-manufacturing-plants-take-off-soon

In regards to phones you are right on point. It will take people with great vision and the ability to take risks and think outside the box to make it happen. Toppling the big phone companies like Apple and Samsung wont be easy. Still nothing is impossible. Though I know Nigeria has an indigenous phone company called tingo mobile they manufacture their own phones and they have plans to create their own software to rival apple and android. They have just secured 200 million dollars in Financing. Hopefully they will be the company to challenge the big boys.

America(Apple) (Chevrolet) (Dodge) (Ford) (GM)
Japan(Mazda) (Toyota) (Mitsubishi) (Nintendo) (Nissan)

:whew: we have a long way to go

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Damn, France still has that much grip in certain African countries?:why:

@Dreamestorical is there any updates that some of the African countries are trying to break free from France?

The French Africa connection is deep as well as fukked up. There was a great AJE program on it, I'll see if I can find it on youtube its pretty tough since AJE is blacked out in America.

Edit:

Last edited:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The Silicon Savannah – an insider’s view
By Ken Griffith on July 18, 2014

Nairobi-city-2.jpg
This article by Kenneth Griffith originally appeared on LinkedIn and is published with permission.

Nairobi has gotten a lot of press over the past few years as the rising “Silicon Savannah” of Africa – a hub for tech start-ups in Sub-Saharan Africa. Most of the press is legit, but there is also a bit of hype. I’ve been a participant in Nairobi’s tech scene since 2012 when I discovered the iHub, a year after moving here in 2011. I thought I would share my notes here for those who want to get a real picture of what is going on in the “Silicon Savannah.”

Overview – What is the Silicon Savannah?

Kenya is the classic “savanna” climate, with massive grasslands supporting large herds of animals. Likening Nairobi’s tech scene to Silicon Valley gave rise to the moniker “Silicon Savannah”.

iHub – Where it Began

Though Nairobi had successful tech start-ups before, such as Cellulant and Craft Silicon, the creation of the iHub was the beginning of Nairobi’s start-up culture taking on its own identity.

The iHub was started in 2010 by the guys from Usahidi. It serves as a convergence point for techies, entrepreneurs and investors, leading to a vibrant culture of tech start-ups, and start-up hubs that have sprung up around the iHub within a four kilometer stretch of Ngong Road in Kilimani. The list of tech spaces in this part of town now includes:

The iHub
Growth Africa
Startup Garage
Nailab
M-Lab

In addition to the accelerator spaces, there are three universities in Nairobi busily training the next generation of programmers and techies. These are:

Stathmore University (iLab)
Nairobi University (C4DLab)
Jomo Kenyatta University (JKUAT)

There are several more, as well.

Believe the Private Organizations not the Government

Promoters of a Kenyan government project called “Konza City” have lifted the “Silicon Savannah” moniker from the real thing (Kilimani) and applied it to their as-yet-nonexistent development on the Athi plains, 60 km East of Nairobi. Konza City is a planned high tech city, where we are told there will be call centers and a major tech hub like Mumbai, India. The plans look good, but the reality is that the design for Konza City is missing a power plant. In a country where the existing power users already overload the infrastructure so that we have scheduled blackouts during the dry season, it is nothing but folly to build an entire high tech city with the hopes that Kenya’s power infrastructure will be able to feed it. First, build a power plant, then build Konza City. Else, it will become known as “Konza Ghost Town”.

But I digress….

Strengths and Weaknesses of Nairobi’s Start-Up Environment

Let’s start with the weaknesses, so I can end on the upside.

First, there is a shortage of experienced computer engineers. Nairobi’s universities are doing a good job of cranking out class after class of computer science graduates. However, there is a deficit of experienced programmers with at least 10 years on the job – the kind of people you need to lead a team of fresh graduates. The few who are here are fought over by IBM, Nokia, Cellulant, Safaricom, Craft Silicon and Equity Bank. This means that the start-up scene in Nairobi has to pay similar prices for experienced talent that you would have to pay in London or Silicon Valley. The upside is that with a few more years, this problem will solve itself.

Second, there is a disconnect between start-ups and available capital. Unlike Silicon Valley where merely presenting an idea without a single line of code will result in ridiculous quantities of money being thrown at you by hapless VC’s who apparently suffer from a shortage of good projects (see Clinkle); in Nairobi, you have many teams with apps that work who die on the vine because they couldn’t raise $50,000 in capital.

Third, there is a lack of experienced business mentors to help the young folks with the ideas to turn them into a real business model. Nairobi does not really have an angel community, yet, although we are moving in that direction. Angels are important for more than money. Angel investors are extremely valuable for their business experience. Nairobi needs to cultivate a circle of mentor-investors to help start-ups get off the ground.

Fourth, Kenya is famous for MPESA, but MPESA is stingy with their API – i.e, they haven’t released one yet. After six years Safaricom still haven’t published an API that mobile app developers can use to do in-app transfers. There are a few third-party solutions to this problem, but they are clunky and expensive. When mobile money providers start publishing API’s we will see a true renaissance in Kenya.

Last, the Kenya government loves to take credit for the Silicon Savannah, but in reality they seem to specialize in throwing up roadblocks. The rules for obtaining work permits for foreign knowledge workers and investors are particularly difficult and expensive. This doesn’t make sense for a country that wants to become the tech hub of Africa.

Positives

Nairobi also has some great upsides for the tech space. First, there is a strong cohort of fresh graduates from the computer science departments of the various universities. Intel, Microsoft and Nokia sponsor classes and program to train these young folks in mobile application development at mLab, iLab, and JKUAT. There are quite a few brilliant and talented young men and women coming out of these programs. But be prepared to fight Nokia, IBM and Safaricom to hire them.

Second, the Internet infrastructure is really good. There are multiple fiber cables coming into Kenya now, and multiple internet service providers in Nairobi offering fiber to business and fiber to the home connections. The prices are not cheap, but they are reasonable.

Third, there are now going on ten accelerator programs in Nairobi. This provides an excellent support base for start-up companies in the region. Fourth, the demographics in Kenya are perfect for growing businesses for the next forty years. In short, large families are still popular in Kenya, and it takes people to create a growing economy.

Finally, we have a country where 70% of internet access is through mobile devices. The combination of mobile money with mobile internet means that Kenya is truly ready for the next generation of mobile services. Kenyans have accepted the idea of money on the phone. Having breached that psychological barrier, Kenyans are ready to embrace the full power that mobile computing and smart phones can offer. This is the major reason why the Silicon Savannah has better projects and better ideas than the hide-bound USA and Silicon Valley.

Kenyans have a lot more real problems which haven’t been solved, and which can be solved with mobile devices than America or Europe does. Kenya’s Silicon Savannah is the ideal environment for development opportunity and entrepreneurship. Western investors should ignore the crime and political tensions and move here to participate. Those who do have the opportunity to make an enormous impact and make a fortune in the process.

Conclusion

Though much of what you read in the press about Kenya is hype, there is a real fire underneath which is generating all that smoke. Kenya has strong growth fundamentals, a strong work ethic, and a culture of saving and investment. Add to this the Silicon Savannah and you have the recipe for a great success story in Africa.

Kenneth Griffith is the Co-founder of Chamapesa, a revolutionary savings management app in Kenya. He was elected to pitch at DEMO Africa 2013after graduating from VC4Africa’s Cohort program.

http://vc4africa.biz/blog/2014/07/1...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
28 July 2014 Last updated at 19:01 ET
'Nigeria's Netflix' takes Nollywood to a global audience
By Tomi OladipoBBC, Lagos
_76582606_browsing624.jpg
Dedicated follower of film: Nollywood produces more films per year than any country bar India
An episode of Shuga, a popular soap opera set in Kenya, is playing on a screen at the offices of iRoko TV - an online platform commonly dubbed the "Netflix of Africa".

Continue reading the main story

In a corner of the room, facing the rest of the operation and separated by a glass partition, sits Jason Njoku, the company's founder.

Born and brought up in London, Mr Njoku is now Lagos-based and building what is proving to be a revolutionary tool, as Nollywood - Nigeria's Hollywood - moves on from DVD to digital platforms.

Since 2011, iRokoTV has racked up millions of views, its founder says, "connecting African films with fans globally" with its huge online catalogue.

The company pays filmmakers about $10,000 (£5,900) to $25,000 for the digital rights to stream their content for a period of time.

_76582830_iroko624.jpg
Inside the iRoko offices in Lagos
In fact, Jason Njoku says the group spends $3m-$4m a year on licensing and producing content, hoping to make back the money in two to three years.

Subscribers pay a monthly fee of $8 with unlimited access to movies from around Africa on the iRoko TV platform, although most productions come from Nigeria and Ghana.

"There's always that star power thing…similar to Hollywood, similar to Bollywood, similar to any content industry around the world," says Mr Njoku.

_76580542_jason624.jpg
Jason Njoku is the founder of iRokoTV
"You look at the stars, you look at the director…super important…you also look at the quality of the actual movies themselves, and we try to sync that with the audience, so, every ten movies we view, we only buy one or two of them."

It is a model that not many would have thought about a few years ago, but today iRoko's success has seen the emergence of other competitors.

One, Pana TV, secured the rights to the acclaimed film Half Of A Yellow Sun, which stars Hollywood's Chiwetel Ejiofor and Thandie Newton.

The industry is growing, and is said to be a major employer in Nigeria, contributing to 1.4% of the country's GDP.

Lights, camera, action
In a quiet Lagos suburb, three dozen people, most of them in their twenties and thirties, crowd a room in silence, listening to a passionate prayer led by a man in the centre.

As soon as he is done, they disperse and work on the film set begins.

_76580536_obi624.jpg
Director's chair: Obi Emelonye on the set for Nollywood film series The Calabash in Lagos
This is the making of The Calabash, an ambitious 100-episode film series that lawyer-turned-filmmaker Obi Emelonye hopes to get on-screen, including on iRokoTV, before the end of the year.

"It's a very tasking, almost stupid episode to film 100 episodes in a go without $1bn, but we can show that with a good story, with dedication, with a committed cast and crew, with a bit of luck, you can achieve great things," says Mr Emelonye, with a smile.

A power cut darkens the room and filming pauses.

In less than a minute a generator outside the building drones into life, the lights come back on, and production continues almost as if nothing happened.

_76582608_filmmarket624.jpg
Shop till you drop: Nollywood movies are sold as DVDs in shops and markets across the country
The challenges on set are evident, but when the production is complete there are even greater challenges getting the films out to the viewers while still paying the filmmakers.

Nigeria's film industry churns out some 50 films a week, surpassed only by India's Bollywood.

“Start Quote
DVD is dying out, and since we are still dependent on DVD then our industry suffers”

Obi EmelonyeDirector
Most of these are released on DVD, and sold cheaply on the streets around Nigeria, although the industry has now garnered a huge following across Africa and among Afro-Caribbean communities around the world.

But this is not necessarily good news for the filmmakers.

"Distribution is the biggest problem for Nollywood," says Mr Emelonye.

"DVD is dying out and since we are still dependent on DVD then our industry suffers."

This nation of 160 million people only has about 14 functional cinemas, which mostly screen Hollywood blockbusters.

Choosing the alternative
Weaving one's way through a sea of human traffic in the Idumota section of Lagos Island, one of the older parts of the city, you see a series of shops peppered with posters of Nollywood titles like Funke The Illiterate and Brazil Return.

_76582832_houseofgold.jpg
House of Gold is one of the films available to view
The DVD market is still thriving and there's hardly a better example of this than in Idumota.

"Some films sell out very quickly… as soon as people know who the actor is they come and buy the copies," says Kelechi Kene, a vendor.

He adds that although he has heard of digital platforms like iRoko, they do not pose any threat to businesses like his which sell films on DVD.

Filmmakers fear that outlets like these are not properly regulated and so pirates can use them to make a fortune.

Despite the growth and success of digital innovation observers feel the sector is far from achieving its potential without proper legislation on rights and distribution.

“Start Quote
We need to be able to buy these films online because the filmmakers need to make their money back”

Ayeni AdekunleEditor-in-chief, Nigeria Entertainment Today
"Outlets like iRokoTV, Pana TV and Ibaka TV are only offering streaming services," says Ayeni Adekunle, editor-in-chief of Nigeria Entertainment Today.

"We need to be able to buy these films online because the filmmakers need to make their money back and they are not doing that right now. Having said that, we see these platforms going beyond hosting films to now creating their own content, which is a good thing"

Connectivity is still a major problem for many viewers, with erratic internet connections that are still not affordable for most Nollywood fans.

Pay TV is also taking a large share of the viewership.

Africa Magic, for example, now has several channels that air African content including productions in Yoruba, Hausa and Swahili.

Despite their popularity, iRoko's Jason Njoku doesn't see them as competition.

"We have films that people can watch whenever they feel like, and pause, rewind or skip," he says.

"You can't do that with TV and that's why we feel there's so much to achieve here."​

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28528396?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Ijaw King

Rookie
Daps
yep. Right now i have a plan to educate Nigerian youth on making money on the stock market through options strategies trading. teaching them strategies like iron condor, vertical spread e.t.c
It has really helped me and I know Nigerians will take it and run with it. We have to learn to not to live from paycheck to paycheck. Financial independence should be the goal for all.
Nigerias economy is growing fast and the government is about to implement a mortgage and credit scheme to increase the buying power of Nigeria's consumers so that they can purchase houses, locally made cars, and other goods. It is a good policy and I am happy but I fear that the debt problems that the average individual deals with in the west will come to Nigeria if we are not careful.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/busi...-out-vehicle-credit-finance-scheme-by-october

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=74260

http://businessdayonline.com/2014/0...c-need-recognizes-growth-impact/#.U9cPavldWSo

Your plan is good. There are a growing group of young people with expendable cash. Learning options trading as a means of diversification will be so helpful for them. Start this up, I'm in full support of your idea! I'm currently playing around with a couple of ideas to add my own footprint to the industrialisation of Nigeria.

This Aganga-Adesina-Iweala-Madueke cabinet is potent :wow:

#GEJ2019 :feedme: