Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great posts @Frangala where did you work previously?

The AU passport is a media-grabbing sham. If even slightly integrated regional blocs like the EAC struggle with dropping visa requirements, how will a continent wide process happen? It wont extend past the elites anytime soon.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All this talk about railways, reminds me of the time I took TAZARA from Zambia ( Kapiri Moshi which is in central Zambia) to Dar.

TAZARA was built by the Chinese in the 70's, probably their earliest megaproject in Africa. The trip was not comfortable at all but it was memorable. Got to see the vast geography of both countries and can see how the culture and landscape changes based on location.

Last I checked theyre seeking foreign investment to modernize the line and train. http://allafrica.com/stories/201609290275.html

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Great posts @Frangala where did you work previously?

The AU passport is a media-grabbing sham. If even slightly integrated regional blocs like the EAC struggle with dropping visa requirements, how will a continent wide process happen? It wont extend past the elites anytime soon.

I worked in Nigeria starting in 2014 for a firm financing small to medium sized enterprises that were not in the oil-sector. Nigeria's government revenues primarily come from selling crude and at the moment the barrel of crude was over $100 a lot of money was being generated but at the same time mismanaged (stolen) from national coffers. However, Nigeria is not very diversified therefore very oil-dependent meaning if oil prices dropped then the economy will be in a recession (like today). So the firm I worked at basically identified growing enterprises from the tech sector to agribusinesses and financed them to scale regionally eventually be able to export in addition offering management assistance.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I worked in Nigeria starting in 2014 for a firm financing small to medium sized enterprises that were not in the oil-sector. Nigeria's government revenues primarily come from selling crude and at the moment the barrel of crude was over $100 a lot of money was being generated but at the same time mismanaged (stolen) from national coffers. However, Nigeria is not very diversified therefore very oil-dependent meaning if oil prices dropped then the economy will be in a recession (like today). So the firm I worked at basically identified growing enterprises from the tech sector to agribusinesses and financed them to scale regionally eventually be able to export in addition offering management assistance.

You're doing God's work. Though ultimately, Nigeria is doomed. We can discuss this on the Nigeria Geopolitics thread so as to not derail this one.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps

People like you continuously miss the point. Its hilarious but you got this one-track minded talking point from articles from contrarians so I can't blame you.

Any system put in place benefits elites first. Most of Africa is unbanked but not the elite...lets not put in basic banking infrastructure because the agriculture class won't benefit in the near-term:russ::deadmanny:

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
People like you continuously miss the point. Its hilarious but you got this one-track minded talking point from articles from contrarians so I can't blame you.

Any system put in place benefits elites first. Most of Africa is unbanked but not the elite...lets not put in basic banking infrastructure because the agriculture class won't benefit in the near-term:russ::deadmanny:

I wouldn't compare banking infrastructure to an AU passport. Banking/financial services infrastructure immediately benefits everybody such as the ability to take out loan even in agriculture or agribusiness to start small businesses or to afford better agricultural inputs hence increasing employment meaning people now have livable wages and disposable income to send their kids to school, become consumers and eventually have enough money to travel and acquiring an AU passport for cross border business. So you are wrong to compare the two. This progression bolsters my point of prioritizing. The expansion financial services/banking infrastructure to the "non-elite" has greater impact on vast majority of citizens immediately than issuing an AU passport does not.

Last edited:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn't compare banking infrastructure to an AU passport. Banking/financial services infrastructure immediately benefits everybody such as the ability to take out loan even in agriculture or agribusiness to start small businesses or to afford better agricultural inputs hence increasing employment meaning people now have livable wages and disposable income to send their kids to school, become consumers and eventually have enough money to travel and acquiring an AU passport for cross border business. So you are wrong to compare the two. This progression bolsters my point of prioritizing. The expansion financial services/banking infrastructure to the "non-elite" has greater impact on vast majority of citizens immediately than issuing an AU passport does not.

Fam, you aren't getting a loan without any access to credit or banking....what the hell are you talking about? Rural dwellers not having access to these things is literally one of the biggest issues on the continent. The elite do though and are the primary beneficiaries so by your logic its a useless system.

And you keep saying it like its just a piece of paper and not a framework/system to justify expansion of infrastructure and drive down business cost and fast-track integration to "benefit everybody."

So no, I'm not wrong for comparing the two. You have an infantile mind.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Fam, you aren't getting a loan without any access to credit or banking....what the hell are you talking about? Rural dwellers not having access to these things is literally one of the biggest issues on the continent. The elite do though and are the primary beneficiaries so by your logic its a useless system.

And you keep saying it like its just a piece of paper and not a framework/system to justify expansion of infrastructure and drive down business cost and fast-track integration to "benefit everybody."

So no, I'm not wrong for comparing the two. You have an infantile mind.

Stop with the personal insults "infantile mind?" what the hell are you on?. Your argument is that being anti-AU passport is akin to being anti-banking infrastructure since both for the moment are benefiting only the elites.

I rebutted by saying that it is the wrong analysis to make because expansion of financial services and banking has a larger short term impact on the majority of the citizens living in a country because it permits people to take out loans and stimulate economic activity in the immediate short term which leads to employment and issuing the AU passport thing does not have the same immediate effects of expanding financial services so you cannot say that being critical of the AU passport issue also means that you are likely to being opposed to expansion of financial services of the unbanked because both currently benefit the elites.

Which one helps the rural dwellers more ? Expanding financial services into every corner of a country or issuing an AU passport? You can't put both initiative on the same level of importance.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I rebutted by saying that it is the wrong analysis to make because expansion of financial services and banking has a larger short term impact on the majority of the citizens living in a country because it permits people to take out loans and stimulate economic activity in the immediate short term which leads to employment and issuing the AU passport thing does not have the same immediate effects of expanding financial services so you cannot say that being critical of the AU passport issue also means that you are likely to being opposed to expansion of financial services of the unbanked because both currently benefit the elites.

But expanding infrastructure as a way for the middle class Africans to make use of these passports wouldn't lower cost, decrease mortality rates, increase employment and increase intra-trade? Short term? It would take years to get the banking system you are talking about distributed to the masses. you dudes are on some other shyt :why:

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
But expanding infrastructure as a way for the middle class Africans to make use of these passports wouldn't lower cost, decrease mortality rates, increase employment and increase intra-trade? Short term? It would take years to get the banking system you are talking about distributed to the masses. you dudes are on some other shyt :why:

This is my last point. Intra-trade/the movement of people, goods and labor within an economic regional bloc doesn't mean shyt if individual states don't have a comparative advantage and aren't somewhat economically viable by themselves or else you will have what South Africa has been experiencing the last few years with a bunch of immigrants of other poor economically under-developed SADC countries (Zimbabweans, Congolese) and other African countries (Nigerians, Somalians) flooding into a perceived prosperous South Africa hence creating social tensions between citizens and immigrants.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Intra-trade within an economic bloc doesn't mean shyt if individual states don't have a comparative advantage and aren't somewhat economically viable by themselves

no duh

I never said AU passports or intra-trade is a fix all but instead a component that does not limit any of the other stuff you are talking about (which I don't disagree with). The concept of a passport initially began and is still somewhat elitist, fam. It just gives a primitive framework/skeleton to build off at a later date and I don't see the harm in that.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Robertson Winery's 14-week strike ends

Union agrees to 8% but says industry is forever changed

Robertson-9846.jpg

A sign board entering Robertson. Photo: Ashraf Hendricks

By Ashleigh Furlong
24 November 2016

The 14-week strike at Robertson Winery has ended. Workers will return to work on Monday after conceding to an 8% or R400 increase (whichever is greater).

Commercial, Stevedoring, Agricultural and Allied Workers Union (CSAAWU) secured backdated pay to 8 August 2016 and a full annual bonus.

The agreement makes provision for increases in 2017 and 2018 of CPI (consumer price index) plus 1.5% and 1% respectively.

Under the agreement, disciplinary action will not be taken against the strike leaders, according to CSAAWU.

The strike was accompanied by boycotts and garnered international attention.

In a statement, CSAAWU said, that although they had not achieved the R8,500 a month demand, the wine industry would never be the same.

CSAAWU has previously said that the company's workers earn between R2,900 and R3,500 a month before deductions. According to Robertson Winery the cost-to-company of an employee following the strike agreement will now be R4,264 per month.

“Some of the poorest paid workers in this country have mobilised a strike for more than three months in a sector where strikes are unheard of,” stated CSAAWU.

Robertson Winery Managing Director Anton Cilliers said CSAAWU’s demand for an increase of 150% was “implausible and impossible to consider”.

He said management was “committed to the overall improvement of the lives of all our employees”, and that employees received free medical facilities and access to housing loans and subsidies “where applicable”.

Cilliers said that the winery will engage with CSAAWU to improve its relationship.

Robertson Winery's 14-week strike ends