Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
How much do small business owners invest in their individual communities? I don't think progress has to be linear necessarily, trickle down integration isn't impossible, and this could be a step towards it, would airlines re-plan cross-continental flights in the face of the assured uptick?

It's more about prioritizing I have worked on the continent and getting ready to embark on a fellowship this upcoming summer in either Kenya or Nigeria so I know a little bit about the small business owner/private sector environment. By virtue of being small business owners, you have direct social impact in terms of employment. The thing is that being a small business owner in Africa is very difficult for 2 main reasons (1) Lack of capital (2) Lack of infrastructure. These are the two main components need to focus on domestically before regional integration or handing out AU passports.

(1) The lack of capital is somewhat getting addressed because of TONS of private equity money pouring into the continent to finance small to medium sized enterprises however that;s not enough. If I was an entrepreneur in most African countries, I couldn't just go to the bank a get a loan because the interests rates are extremely high because banks realize how risky the business environment is but the returns are the highest in the world that's why there is a ton of private equity money.

(2) Lack of infrastructure- Many African govts. have just flat out ignored this aspect and focused on "headline-grabber"/superficial projects such as railways from Cairo to Cape Town. How the hell is that possible when there isn't even a viable internal/domestic railway system in individual countries. Lack of infrastructure also messes up business activities such as lack of reliant energy supply/electricity where many entrepreneurs have to spend a lot of their operational costs/expenses on diesel to run a generator.

There are so many things these govts. can be concentrate on and I'm not saying they are not able to multi task but the main concentration for many of these "leaders" should be on economy and infrastructure locally before engaging in these attention grabbing project and patting themselves on the back for it.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Scotmas addresses Botswana water treatment challenge with hydro-electric application

Monday, 21 November 2016 11:00

307x210xScotmas.JPG.pagespeed.ic.EUBp0LPHsY.webp

Representatives from the Botswana Water Authority and Scottish Enterprise met during a recent visit to Scotmas' Kelso headquarters in Scotland (Image source: Scotmas Group)

A "first-of-its-kind" self-sustaining rural water treatment system that operates without grid electricity or solar power will launch in Botswana to help accelerate clean water provision

The Scotmas Bravo Hydro, which generates its own power through a tiny hydro-electric generator inserted in the water pipe, will be rolled out to 40 villages in the country from January 2017 as part of a project to disinfect water in rural, hard-to-reach areas.

"The need for effective disinfection in remote areas of developing countries has never been greater, but difficulties include a lack of reliable grid electricity, potential theft of solar panels from remote locations, and the difficult maintenance required for venturi pump systems," commented Scotmas MD Alistair Cameron.

"Working in close partnership with our clients throughout Asia and Africa, we have worked to bring the latest innovations in hydro-electric technology to the water treatment sector. The Bravo Hydro also incorporates the latest IoT technologies, to use mobile and satellite data links in order to provide remote monitoring for the operation of isolated water stations."

Scotmas' product aligns with a large investment by the Botswanan government to improve water distribution to rural communities and assist in socio-economic development.

A delegation from the Botswana Water Authority recently met representatives from Scotland's economic development agency, Scottish Enterprise, in a visit to Scotmas' site.

Sources of safe drinking water in Botswana are increasingly at threat due to factors including drought and a rise in population numbers.

Scotmas addresses Botswana water treatment challenge with hydro-electric application

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Another wasted effort. Why would you concentrate on having an African passport when you are not even regionally integrated. A ticket to another African country is more expensive sometimes than a ticket to an European country.

no no no:sad:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Another wasted effort. Why would you concentrate on having an African passport when you are not even regionally integrated. A ticket to another African country is more expensive sometimes than a ticket to an European country. This effort by the African Union was another demonstration why African elites lack perspective and criminally incompetent. How many of their citizens who are living in abject poverty and struggling to live day to day can afford a ticket to travel. This effort is purely done for superficial reasons and to benefit the elites themselves, families and their camps more than the vast majority of their citizens.

Unfortunately I have to agree with your assessment, I only see this benefiting the elite that can afford those travels that are extremely expensive. One can only hope it will at least lead to more business opportunities/ties that will in turn incite more regional poltical and economic integration, as well as more offer from airline companies, and initiate a vertuous circle that will benefit more.

Sidenote : I wonder how things would be if Air Afrique still existed, I was a kid but I have the impression that it wasn't that expensive. Could be totally wrong though.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The passport (assuming wide distribution) would definitely help poor people doing business cross border in the informal economy.

Even if only middle class Africans benefited....it isn't insignificant.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
The passport (assuming wide distribution) would definitely help poor people doing business cross border in the informal economy.

Even if only middle class Africans benefited....it isn't insignificant.

Informal business across borders already takes place. I know people who live in Nigeria and regularly move across Benin and back and forth to do informal business. African borders are porous anyways for the most part. So this AU passport measure is irrelevant to informal business. These leaders want to run before running or crawling. Concentrate on strengthening the domestic economic situation then you can concentrate on these AU passport efforts. Prioritizing is key.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Informal business across borders already takes place. I know people who live in Nigeria and regularly move across Benin and back and forth to do informal business. African borders are porous anyways for the most part. So this AU passport measure is irrelevant to informal business. These leaders want to run before running or crawling. Concentrate on strengthening the domestic economic situation then you can concentrate on these AU passport efforts. Prioritizing is key.

Youre not telling me anything new but you are incorrect.

An integrated passport gives justification and a framework for large scale cross border infrastructure projects which of course lowers cost and danger for the many. Stuff gets built to accommodate those with money...shocking. None of this is a zero sum game.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Unfortunately I have to agree with your assessment, I only see this benefiting the elite that can afford those travels that are extremely expensive. One can only hope it will at least lead to more business opportunities/ties that will in turn incite more regional poltical and economic integration, as well as more offer from airline companies, and initiate a vertuous circle that will benefit more.

Sidenote : I wonder how things would be if Air Afrique still existed, I was a kid but I have the impression that it wasn't that expensive. Could be totally wrong though.

The main three most visible airlines with both continental and international destinations are Kenyan Airways, South African Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines. Arik Air (Nigeria) just went insolvent last year due to mismanagement, pilots weren't being paid, etc... My theory that as a result of lack of competition of only having three respected airlines, the prices are up. Many African countries have been blacklisted in terms of the airline industry due to constantly failing to adhere to international standards.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Youre not telling me anything new but you are incorrect.

An integrated passport gives justification and a framework for large scale cross border infrastructure projects which of course lowers cost and danger for the many. Stuff gets built to accommodate those with money...shocking. None of this is a zero sum game.

Cross border infrastructure projects begin with domestic infrastructure first in order to link to another country. In one of my previous posts, I mentioned ambitions projects such as the railway from Cairo to Cape Town that sounds nice but there needs to be existing infrastructure within all the countries where that railway is going to pass. Ethiopia have been building local infrastructure like crazy before linking up with Djibouti last month.

How is large scale cross border infrastructure project in a continent that is not able to expand electricity access to its population. There was this Inga project in DRC that has the potential to electrify the whole continent. I have been hearing that story since I was a kid for 15 years nothing. Your cross border large scale infrastructure would be feasible if we are dealing with efficient serious minded govts. but we are not. As a result, what we need to look inward first and then concentrate cross border infrastructure projects.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Cross border infrastructure projects begin with domestic infrastructure first in order to link to another country.

Not necessarily nor are the two a zero sum game. You seem to have this idea that a passport somehow limits anything else...

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Nigeria is a zoo

Nigeria: At least 150 peaceful pro-Biafra activists killed in chilling crackdown

Nigeria: At least 150 peaceful pro-Biafra activists killed in chilling crackdown
24 November 2016, 00:01 UTC

The Nigerian security forces, led by the military, embarked on a chilling campaign of extrajudicial executions and violence resulting in the deaths of at least 150 peaceful pro-Biafra protesters in the south east of the country, according to an investigation by Amnesty International published today.

Analysis of 87 videos, 122 photographs and 146 eye witness testimonies relating to demonstrations and other gatherings between August 2015 and August 2016 consistently shows that the military fired live ammunition with little or no warning to disperse crowds. It also finds evidence of mass extrajudicial executions by security forces, including at least 60 people shot dead in the space of two days in connection with events to mark Biafra Remembrance Day.

“This deadly repression of pro-Biafra activists is further stoking tensions in the south east of Nigeria. This reckless and trigger-happy approach to crowd control has caused at least 150 deaths and we fear the actual total might be far higher,” said Makmid Kamara, Interim Director of Amnesty International Nigeria.

“The Nigerian government’s decision to send in the military to respond to pro-Biafra events seems to be in large part to blame for this excessive bloodshed. The authorities must immediately launch an impartial investigation and bring the perpetrators to book.”

This reckless and trigger-happy approach to crowd control has caused at least 150 deaths and we fear the actual total might be far higher
Makmid Kamara, Amnesty International Nigeria's Interim Director
Twitter
  • Email
Since August 2015, there has been a series of protests, marches and gatherings by members and supporters of IPOB (Indigenous People of Biafra) who have been seeking the creation of a Biafran state. Tensions increased further following the arrest of IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu on 14 October 2015. He remains in detention.

Extrajudicial executions
By far the largest number of pro-Biafra activists were killed on Biafra Remembrance Day on 30 May 2016 when an estimated 1,000 IPOB members and supporters gathered for a rally in Onitsha, Anambra State. The night before the rally, the security forces raided homes and a church where IPOB members were sleeping.

On Remembrance Day itself, the security forces shot people in several locations. Amnesty International has not been able to verify the exact number of extrajudicial executions, but estimates that at least 60 people were killed and 70 injured in these two days. The real number is likely to be higher.

Ngozi (not her real name), a 28-year-old mother of one, told Amnesty International that her husband left in the morning to go to work but called her shortly afterwards to say that the military had shot him in his abdomen. He said he was in a military vehicle with six others, four of whom were already dead. She told Amnesty International: “he started whispering and said they just stopped [the vehicle]. He was scared they would kill the remaining three of them that were alive... He paused and told me they were coming closer. I heard gunshots and I did not hear a word from him after that.”

He started whispering and said they just stopped [the vehicle]. He was scared they would kill the remaining three of them that were alive... He paused and told me they were coming closer. I heard gunshots and I did not hear a word from him after that
"Ngozi", a 28-year-old mother of one whose husband was killed
Twitter
  • Email
The next day Ngozi searched for her husband and finally found his body in a nearby mortuary. The mortuary attendants told her that the military had brought him and six others. She saw three gunshot wounds: one in his abdomen and two in his chest, which confirmed her fear that the military had executed him.

Amnesty International has also reviewed videos of a peaceful gathering of IPOB members and supporters at Aba National High School on 9 February 2016. The Nigerian military surrounded the group and then fired live ammunition at them without any prior warning.

According to eyewitnesses and local human rights activists, many of the protesters at Aba were rounded up and taken away by the military. On 13 February 13 corpses, including those of men known to have been taken by the military, were discovered in a pit near the Aba highway.

“It is chilling to see how these soldiers gunned down peaceful IPOB members. The video evidence shows that this was a military operation with intent to kill and injure,” said Makmid Kamara.

Deadly repression
Eyewitness testimony and video footage of the rallies, marches and meetings demonstrate that the Nigerian military deliberately used deadly force.

In many of the incidents detailed in the report, including the Aba High School protest, the military applied tactics designed to kill and neutralize an enemy, rather than to ensure public order at a peaceful event.

All IPOB gatherings documented by Amnesty International were largely peaceful. In those cases where there were pockets of violence, it was mostly in reaction to shooting by the security forces. Eyewitnesses told Amnesty International that some protesters threw stones, burned tyres and in one incident shot at the police. Regardless, these acts of violence and disorder did not justify the level of force used against the whole assembly.

Amnesty International’s research also shows a disturbing pattern of hundreds of arbitrary arrests and ill-treatment by soldiers during and after IPOB events, including arrests of wounded victims in hospital, and torture and other ill-treatment of detainees.

Vincent Ogbodo (not his real name), a 26-year-old trader, said he was shot on Remembrance Day in Nkpor and hid in a gutter. When soldiers found him they poured acid on him. He told Amnesty International:

“I covered my face. I would have been blind by now. He poured acid on my hands. My hands and body started burning. The flesh was burning… They dragged me out of the gutter. They said I’ll die slowly.”

I covered my face. I would have been blind by now. He poured acid on my hands. My hands and body started burning. The flesh was burning… They dragged me out of the gutter. They said I’ll die slowly
A 28-year-old man who had acid sprayed on him by a soldier
Twitter
  • Email
A man who was detained in Onitsha Barracks after the Remembrance Day shooting on 30 May 2016 told Amnesty International: “Those in the guard room [detention] were flogged every morning. The soldiers tagged it ‘Morning Tea’.”

No action by authorities to ensure accountability
Despite this overwhelming evidence that the Nigerian security forces committed gross human rights violations including extrajudicial executions and torture, no investigations have been carried out by the authorities.

A similar pattern of lack of accountability for gross violations by the military has been documented in other parts of Nigeria including the north east in the context of operations against Boko Haram.

“Amnesty International has repeatedly called on the government of Nigeria to initiate independent investigations into evidence of crimes under international law, and President Buhari has repeatedly promised that Amnesty International’s reports would be looked into. However, no concrete steps have been taken,” said Makmid Kamara.

In the very rare cases where an investigation is carried out, there is no follow up. As a result of the apparent lack of political will to investigate and prosecute perpetrators of such crimes, the military continues to commit human rights violations and grave crimes with impunity.

In addition to investigations, the Nigerian government must ensure adequate reparations for the victims, including the families. They should end all use of military in policing demonstrations and ensure the police are adequately instructed, trained and equipped to deal with crowd-control situations in line with international law and standards. In particular, firearms must never be used as a tool for crowd control.

Background
The findings of this report involved an analysis of 87 videos and 122 photographs showing IPOB gatherings and members of security forces in the process of committing violations and victims of these violations. 193 interviews were conducted.

On 30 September 2016, Amnesty International shared the key findings of this report with the Federal Minister of Justice and Attorney General, Chief of Defence Staff, Chief of Army Staff, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Interior, Inspector General of Police and the Director-General of the state Security Services. Responses were received from the Attorney General and Inspector General of Police but neither answered the questions raised in the report.

IPOB emerged in 2012 and campaigns for an Independent Biafran state. Almost fifty years ago, an attempt to establish Biafra state led to a civil war from 1967 to 1970

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
It's more about prioritizing I have worked on the continent and getting ready to embark on a fellowship this upcoming summer in either Kenya or Nigeria so I know a little bit about the small business owner/private sector environment. By virtue of being small business owners, you have direct social impact in terms of employment. The thing is that being a small business owner in Africa is very difficult for 2 main reasons (1) Lack of capital (2) Lack of infrastructure. These are the two main components need to focus on domestically before regional integration or handing out AU passports.

(1) The lack of capital is somewhat getting addressed because of TONS of private equity money pouring into the continent to finance small to medium sized enterprises however that;s not enough. If I was an entrepreneur in most African countries, I couldn't just go to the bank a get a loan because the interests rates are extremely high because banks realize how risky the business environment is but the returns are the highest in the world that's why there is a ton of private equity money.

(2) Lack of infrastructure- Many African govts. have just flat out ignored this aspect and focused on "headline-grabber"/superficial projects such as railways from Cairo to Cape Town. How the hell is that possible when there isn't even a viable internal/domestic railway system in individual countries. Lack of infrastructure also messes up business activities such as lack of reliant energy supply/electricity where many entrepreneurs have to spend a lot of their operational costs/expenses on diesel to run a generator.

There are so many things these govts. can be concentrate on and I'm not saying they are not able to multi task but the main concentration for many of these "leaders" should be on economy and infrastructure locally before engaging in these attention grabbing project and patting themselves on the back for it.

Damn, never even thought about it this way. Now that you mention it, it makes me wonder if they're not building yet other "white elephants" that are not organically emerging but rather decided top-to-bottom.

A point of comparison is Europe, where regional integration indeed took place AFTER national infrastructures were well established. I know that the EU is a (forced) model for some (EU aid is tied to african efforts to regionalize) but like you said somewhere it kind of looks like wanting to run before being able to crawl.

Cross border infrastructure projects begin with domestic infrastructure first in order to link to another country. In one of my previous posts, I mentioned ambitions projects such as the railway from Cairo to Cape Town that sounds nice but there needs to be existing infrastructure within all the countries where that railway is going to pass. Ethiopia have been building local infrastructure like crazy before linking up with Djibouti last month.

How is large scale cross border infrastructure project in a continent that is not able to expand electricity access to its population. There was this Inga project in DRC that has the potential to electrify the whole continent. I have been hearing that story since I was a kid for 15 years nothing. Your cross border large scale infrastructure would be feasible if we are dealing with efficient serious minded govts. but we are not. As a result, what we need to look inward first and then concentrate cross border infrastructure projects.

Same here :francis:

The main three most visible airlines with both continental and international destinations are Kenyan Airways, South African Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines. Arik Air (Nigeria) just went insolvent last year due to mismanagement, pilots weren't being paid, etc... My theory that as a result of lack of competition of only having three respected airlines, the prices are up. Many African countries have been blacklisted in terms of the airline industry due to constantly failing to adhere to international standards.

I would add Royal Air Maroc, even though I think they are less internationnaly developped than the 3 you mentionned.

No what I was wondering about is whether a new kind of Air Afrique company could be benefitial, with various african countries involved in a consortium of sorts and pooling ressources. Didn't put much thought into this tbh, and I don't even remember how Air Afrique folded. I do remember the service and food were great :wow:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Africa's oldest psychiatric hospital a stark reminder of war and a forgotten people

23 NOV 2016 00:00 RYAN LENORA BROWN

744x418

During the Ebola outbreak hospitals were seen as dumping grounds for the dying, or worse, places that had made them sick. (Ryan Lenora Brown)

After Sierra Leone’s civil war, money poured in for mental health services. But a decade later, there's little left to help Ebola’s victims.
The history of Africa’s oldest mental hospital is written on the walls of its isolation units, desperate messages chiselled into the wood like scars.

“I CAME HERE FOR I DON’T HAVE ANY MONEY,” reads one, the letters crammed tightly against each other in one corner of the room. “PEOPLE WANT ME TO RUN FROM MY FATHER’S HOUSE,” says another, sprawled against an entire wall in frantic, uneven script.

“YOU GO NOWHERE,” announces a third. “STAY OUT.”

Indeed, since the hospital’s inception in the early 19th century, when one European visitor wrote of the “yard appropriated for unfortunate lunatics” perched high on a hill above the eastern Freetown neighbourhood of Kissy, most Sierra Leoneans have aspired to do exactly that.

The country’s only mental healthcare facility, the Sierra Leone Psychiatric Hospital, is known in the local Krio language as the “Crase Yard” or “place for crazy people”. During Sierra Leone’s brutal civil war, heavily armed rebel fighters got as far as the staff quarters before turning back, too afraid of what they might find inside, doctors and nurses at the hospital say.

For nearly 200 years this has been less the kind of place where you go to get better than the kind of place where you go when people have decided you will never get better.

At the time the world’s worst Ebola outbreak began there in early 2014, Sierra Leone had just 136 doctors working in the public sector, according to the World Health Organisation’s global health observatory data repository — a massive shortfall for a population of six million. There was only one psychiatrist, Edward Nahim, a wry, Soviet-trained 70-year-old who spent his mornings scribbling prescriptions in the foyer of the Kissy hospital, where many patients were kept chained and treatment consisted of little more than a daily dose of expired anti-psychotics. Electricity flickered on and off and rusting buckets served as fetid makeshift toilets on the days the pipes ran dry, which was most of the time.

hollowedoutbuildingkailahunwithmohamedmorray.jpg

A decade-long civil war saw more than 70 000 people killed and hundreds of thousands maimed and left the country in ruins before ending in 2002. (Ryan Lenora Brown)

Although the mental health toll that Ebola exacted — depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder — was massive, the hospital’s fearsome reputation meant that few of those affected even considered looking there for support. Hospitals, in the early days of the outbreak, were seen at best as dumping grounds for the dying, and at worst the places that had made them sick. Those suffering the disease’s emotional side effects viewed the psychiatric hospital in a similar light.

“Because we have so few professional resources, people are used to understanding mental illness in their own way and most would never even think of coming to a hospital for psychiatric treatment,” says Stephen Sevalie, who earlier this year became the country’s second local psychiatrist, working for the Sierra Leone Armed Forces.

A lack of formal services places the burden on communities
In part, Nahim says, that may not be entirely a bad thing. A country like Sierra Leone needs fewer formal mental health services than Western nations, he explains, because its people are able to lean so heavily on community structures — families, traditional healers and religious leaders — during times of emotional distress.

“We do counselling, though it’s not the type of counselling they do in America or Europe,” Nahim says. “Here, if you have a problem, someone talks to you. Your parents talk to you. Your church talks to you. Your traditional healers treat and counsel you. In America they need professional counsellors because no one talks to anybody. If you try to talk to somebody, he’ll probably call the police.”

Still, a lack of formal treatment options for those struggling the most has bred desperate circumstances. Bars selling sachets of local gin and whisky costing five leones — the equivalent of about eight American cents — are crowded long before noon and weather-battered men wander the streets of Freetown, mumbling gibberish and begging for change and discarded food. Drug abuse is rampant, particularly among the war’s ex-combatants, many of whom were children when they fought.

For those working in the mental health sector in Sierra Leone, this isn’t the way things were supposed to be.

In the years after the decade-long civil war, which, according to the United Nations Development Agency, saw more than 70 000 people killed and hundreds of thousands maimed by amputation before ending in 2002, international charities poured into Sierra Leone with promises to heal the country’s invisible emotional scars. A series of buzzword-studded initiatives touted community healing, psychosocial support and empowerment.

“Many of these programmes were really excellent,” says Florence Baingana, from the World Health Organisation’s Sierra Leone office. But they were also temporary. “You can’t run a mental healthcare system with outsiders — NGOs [nongovernmental organisations] have a life cycle; they come and they go.”

And mental health in particular proved a hard sell to international donors over the long term — the wounds it healed were largely invisible, and the progress undramatic and drawn-out.

capsstaffkailahun.jpg

The Community Association for Psychosocial Services (Caps), is a Sierra Leonean NGO that has provided counselling since the end of the war. (Ryan Lenora Brown)

Slowly, the international money drained away, says Edward Bockarie, executive director of the Community Association for Psychosocial Services (Caps), a Sierra Leonean NGO that has provided counselling since the end of the war. On a recent morning, counsellors at one of his regional offices in the eastern province of Kailahun hunched over a few shared computers, strategising on future projects. None of them had been paid for nearly six months, when their last spurt of funding ran dry.

“This is our initiative; we can’t just leave it,” says Maxwell Makieu, a counsellor who has worked with the association since its inception in a refugee camp in Guinea two decades ago.

Back then, he and the other Caps counsellors were refugees from Sierra Leone’s civil war, hired by an American nonprofit organisation called the Centre for Victims of Torture to provide peer counselling to others in the camp. When the centre retreated from Sierra Leone a few years later, its Sierra Leonean counsellors started their own group.

For the past decade, they have scraped together grants from the centre and other sources to keep their shoestring operation running in two districts in Sierra Leone’s war-wracked far east, counselling the vast swaths of the region’s population victimised by the war. That meant that when Ebola broke out three years ago they were among the only counsellors prepared to respond. Their staff were quickly scooped up by Doctors Without Borders and other international charities to work in their treatment centres and with healthcare workers.

But when the outbreak ended, predictably, so did most international interest in their work.

Down the road, at the local district hospital, however, there are flickering signals that some changes to the mental health system are at last being institutionalised.

martinsenesie2.jpg

Martin Senesie is Kailahun district’s first trained mental health nurse. (Ryan Lenora Brown)

Beside a maternity ward full of cooing babies and tut-tutting mothers sits the small but bright office of the district’s first trained mental health nurse, who arrived at the beginning of 2015 as part of a programme that placed 21 such nurses in local hospitals around the country.

Martin Senesie says the work, at times, feels never-ending. He has grown used to the whispers of “crase man doctor” he hears when he walks through town. His pay, which is about 750 000 leones — about $125 — a month, feels like a slight, given the many years he spent earning his qualifications. He often thinks of quitting.

Still, he admits, for the people of Kailahun this is better than nothing. Each month, dozens of Ebola survivors and their families queue in front of his office, seeking help for depression and anxiety. Without him, he wonders, where could they go?

“This is an opportunity for us — it could be the turning point,” says Sevalie.

“I hope that the enthusiasm that’s developed around mental health treatment in the context of Ebola will keep going. Whether Ebola is here or not, these systems are essential to have.”

Africa's oldest psychiatric hospital a stark reminder of war and a forgotten people