That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

Daps
Reppin
The Ghetto of Oz
93' was :francis:

Good music is good music so it def was some standouts/exceptions but

I wasn't feeling that shift at all

It reflected the streets tho....nikkas was dancers with flat tops in 92' wearing zoot suits

year later had baldies and was talking tough :russ:in army fatigues and timbs

hip-hop really lost something when it wasn't cool to dance no more ..
Definitely

The death of the house party really reflected the change in the neighborhoods and the industry

We went from nobody playing our music on radio to having hip hop shows & stations & clubs
So the music could be heard somewhere other than the streets (boom boxes, parties, cars riding by)

Crack taking over the streets pretty much shut down house parties cause shyt was too dangerous

NWA changes the game at the same time Luke wins his case and starts parental advisory labels so now you can say whatever on records

The dancing ended cause that wasn't cool no more
Everybody cut their flat tops off

The party music ain't come back until Puffy

Block parties in the 80s - early 90s >>>>

Last edited:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

That's because Puba wasn't there, so Jamar and Sadat were left to their own devices. This is them on their full militant shyt. 5%ers in NY were wild AF, if you came outside and got the days Math wrong, you had to go back inside, or you might get jumped. Or, as they call it a "Universal Beatdown". Can't speak for the other two, but Jamar was a crack dealer getting busy in the streets like all the gangsters, he just had knowledge.

I remember when these cats went from this :

UMCs-Fruits-of-Nature-Cover-Full.jpg

to this :

511x8X8nZ7L.jpg

Stu Fine, head of Wild Pitch, forced them to record repeatedly to eat (LITERALLY). When the Onyx/Wu shyt came in, they either had to switch it up or be shelved. If you listened, it was almost the same content over harder beats, and they dressed like Das Efx. Kim has talked about it a lot over the past few years. He has been making music again and trying to blow up his social media. If you go check his IG and interviews, he's explained all of this a ton. Even when they beat Stu Fine's ass and ended their own careers out of frustration at what the label did to them. He said in one that the first album was supposed to be spelled Fruits Uv Nature, or F.U.N. They wanted to do them and their brand of Rap, but the devil they signed a fukked up deal with had them on the bullshyt.

Word and it was Cube who said RUN DMC was like the blueprint who had a tough image and he praised them bringing attitude to the game.

I'm paraphrasing but he used the word "attitude "

"when the Sugarhill Gang released “Rapper’s Delight.” I was also a fan of groups like Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five and Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force. Although those groups did great records, I could not relate to them as much as I could relate to three guys out of Queens, N.Y., who looked like the older homies from around my block—black hats, black leather jackets and that confident attitude."

DMC was a raging alcoholic, and was called "Wax A nikka" in his hood. Make of that what you will. The shyt he said on "The Ave" wasn't gangsta fantasy.

Last edited:

yourgod

Pro
Daps
Dope thread!! No revisionist history in here, just a timeline of events that changed the landscape of the culture with input from posters who were actually there when it happened. Anyone know if there’s a book about this shyt? Also I wonder if the industry is gonna treat drill like how they did gangsta rap back then

QU Hectic

Superstar
Daps
That's because Puba wasn't there, so Jamar and Sadat were left to their own devices. This is them on their full militant shyt. 5%ers in NY were wild AF, if you came outside and got the days Math wrong, you had to go back inside, or you might get jumped. Or, as they call it a "Universal Beatdown". Can't speak for the other two, but Jamar was a crack dealer getting busy in the streets like all the gangsters, he just had knowledge.

Stu Fine, head of Wild Pitch, forced them to record repeatedly to eat (LITERALLY). When the Onyx/Wu shyt came in, they either had to switch it up or be shelved. If you listened, it was almost the same content over harder beats, and they dressed like Das Efx. Kim has talked about it a lot over the past few years. He has been making music again and trying to blow up his social media. If you go check his IG and interviews, he's explained all of this a ton. Even when they beat Stu Fine's ass and ended their own careers out of frustration at what the label did to them. He said in one that the first album was supposed to be spelled Fruits Uv Nature, or F.U.N. They wanted to do them and their brand of Rap, but the devil they signed a fukked up deal with had them on the bullshyt.

DMC was a raging alcoholic, and was called "Wax A nikka" in his hood. Make of that what you will. The shyt he said on "The Ave" wasn't gangsta fantasy.
Didn’t Large Professor put hands on Stu as well ? I believe he was actually a factor in why Large Professor parted ways with Main Source. Didn’t know he did U.M.C s dirty as well.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
This thread is funny as fukk :mjlol: this made me think about when the clean cut R&B group the boys was singing about big round booties and dikking bytches down :mjlol:

TO be fair, R&B is different, plus you have to take their age into account. When they came out in 1988, they were 15,13,12,9. When that song dropped they were 19,17,16,13. Still teens, but 4 years deep into the game/industry.

This was when Jodeci and Uptown Records was poppin. They had to switch it up as did everyone else.

prime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The heights
TO be fair, R&B is different, plus you have to take their age into account. When they came out in 1988, they were 15,13,12,9. When that song dropped they were 19,17,16,13. Still teens, but 4 years deep into the game/industry.

This was when Jodeci and Uptown Records was poppin. They had to switch it up as did everyone else.
Breh they was trying to hard to look hard :russ: i mean the youngest one had i song talking about me and the crew use to do her and the honey dips he be freaking :mjlol:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Didn’t Large Professor put hands on Stu as well ? I believe he was actually a factor in why Large Professor parted ways with Main Source. Didn’t know he did U.M.C s dirty as well.
IDK about LP, but he was notorious for doing rappers dirty. Diamond dissed him on The Business. He's been a punch line for ages. Q-Tip's famous "rule number 4080" line was probably at least partially inspired by him.

mcellas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami
We are going to look at the Drill era the same so many switched their styles its acceptable now.