Tenn. owes TSU half a $ Billion/*sent $250 mil for repairs & campus housing / *TSU board vacated, new appointees named

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
They redraw district lines so they can corral all black people in a few districts and nullify voting. This game has been played a long time. Black people won't get a fair shake in this country, because it was never in the plans to do that. Now the Native mixed Hispanics are taking back over, so it will probably be worse in the future. The play has always been go back to the homeland and control the resources there. Run Europeans off the continent.

I said we need state majorities. Where we control the Governorship and legislature. You are right these cacs will use all types of tactics to disenfranchise us but we need to make a concerted effort to come together geographically. That’s why the reverse migration is so important.

Last edited:

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
I said we need state majorities. Where he control the Governorship and legislature. You are right these cacs will use all types of tactics to disenfranchise us but we need to make a concerted effort to come together geographically. That’s why the reverse migration is so important.

The most likely state to get that done is Mississippi. The numbers for whites are so low there that a million black folks moving there could change the whole dynamic, but you'd be in for a fight with those people.

Does the community have it in them to do that?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
After reading all that.... TSU mismanaging/improper use of funds AND TSU being deprived of ~500M over 100+ years are two things that can be true at the same time.... but we all know how the spin is gonna go. "Why give them any money if they're gonna fukk it off?"

Was the Comptroller delving into TSU funds in response to the $250M grant... or by request of alumni/staff/disgruntled students? Or a condition to get the funding?
If it wasn't politically motivated, there would be recommendations made, guidelines to reach, or even a Gov. rep. added to TSU staff to monitor. To correct mistakes moving forward.

The fact that removal of pres. and/or board was even suggested tells you exactly what spurred the audit.

One thing i have seen from schools that do not own enough of the land around the campus to build on site housing, is permanent reliance on taking over/leasing motels... or just a flat out lack of concern for housing.
This makes sense, but in TSU case it ties back to being shortchanged the state govt. for decades.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
If it wasn't politically motivated, there would be recommendations made, guidelines to reach, or even a Gov. rep. added to TSU staff to monitor. To correct mistakes moving forward.

The fact that removal of pres. and/or board was even suggested tells you exactly what spurred the audit.

I wonder if this will give a proper starting point for HBCU's to investigate claims of fund mismanagement. If alumni,students,faculty etc. could petition their state representatives to have their comptroller or equivalent look into how and where money is being spent.

But investigations like this also make me wonder just how many people in good standing at HBCU's will get their skeletons yanked out of closets.

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M

This makes sense, but in TSU case it ties back to being shortchanged the state govt. for decades.

I'll just say that being owed money and terrible management can be seperate problems. The problem often is that we as Blacks don't hold our leaders accountable because we "don't want to look bad in front of *them*."

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'll just say that being owed money and terrible management can be seperate problems. The problem often is that we as Blacks don't hold our leaders accountable because we "don't want to look bad in front of *them*."
In the pdf of TSU's response to the audit report, and in the testimony by Dr. Glover on Friday there was an acknowledgement of management mis-steps and errors. So even if I wanted to bury my head in the sand and not hold her accountable, I couldn't do it.

There are corrective measures the state could take to prevent it from happening in the future. When I see that they skipped those options, and are leaning towards removing leadership, seems less about correcting/preventing errors than about payback.

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M
In the pdf of TSU's response to the audit report, and in the testimony by Dr. Glover on Friday there was an acknowledgement of management mis-steps and errors. So even if I wanted to bury my head in the sand and not hold her accountable, I couldn't do it.

There are corrective measures the state could take to prevent it from happening in the future. When I see that they skipped those options, and are leaning towards removing leadership, seems less about correcting/preventing errors than about payback.

I'll only say publicly that the facts don't lie. Not holding leaders accountable is exactly why HBCUs are in the shape that they are in.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Subcommittee votes to extend TSU Board of Trustees for one year​

Feb 27, 2023

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — At a Joint Government Operations Subcommittee hearing Monday morning, lawmakers voted unanimously to extend the Tennessee State University Board of Trustees for at least one more year.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

*everybody saw through that "audit"smokescreen, reporter pressed him about the rest of the $544 mil

Gov. Lee addresses funding issues at TSU amid audit, $500 million owed to university​

February 27th 2023

Gov. Lee addresses funding issues at TSU amid audit, $500 million owed to university (WZTV)
Facebook Share Icon Twitter Share Icon Email Share Icon

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — FOX 17 News is covering the role the state played in shorting Tennessee State University (TSU) hundreds of millions of federal grant dollars over the years, playing into issues on campus.
FOX 17 News asked Governor Bill Lee when the state will resolve the problem.

FOX 17 News asked Governor Lee, "Are you committed to fully paying back the $500 million owed to the university and if so, when will they see that money?
We put $250 million in the budget last year," said Gov. Lee. "And Tennessee State University and the governor's office actually are working together in that effort. We know that’s a historic funding amount.
Governor Lee says he worked with the university to use those dollars to improve their facilities, which he says will help with some of the challenges that the comptroller's report found. However, he did not address the other $250 million.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

State committee approves extra housing for TSU and UT-Knoxville​

Historically Black university faced severe penalties during session​

May 23, 2023

State lawmakers blasted Tennessee State University for last-minute moves to house student overflow during the past year, but the University of Tennessee-Knoxville also put students in hotel rooms and needed approval Monday for a bigger apartment lease.
The State Building Commission’s Executive Committee approved a $6.78 million lease deal for more than 500 apartments at Lakemoor Station about seven miles from the UT-Knoxville campus to meet growth at the state’s flagship university. Enrollment is up to 33,000 total with 27,000 undergraduates.
UT-Knoxville has been paying $3 million a year for 368 beds at a Holiday Inn a similar distance from campus, according to a university official who pointed out the new arrangement in new housing would be “significantly better.” This arrangement eliminates the contract with Holiday Inn.
While UT-Knoxville’s lodging problems ran under the radar, Tennessee State University’s situation led to a highly critical report and a looming $2 million audit by an independent firm.
The committee approved a plan for Tennessee State University to lease up to 269 hotel rooms with 439 beds at Best Western and Red Roof Inn – Music City in Nashville for August through early May 2024 with a cost of $7.2 million, about $5.5 million of which would be offset by revenue from students, who are not expected to pay more to stay in one of the Nashville hotels t
Students move into a dormitory at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville in Fall 2019. (Photo: University of Tennessee-Knoxville Facebook)

“I’m glad we’re discussing this in May and not in August,” Secretary of State Tre Hargett, a committee member, told TSU officials.
The state’s only public historically Black university met the ire of Tennessee lawmakers and officials in 2022 when it needed extra living space for an influx of students, some of whom filed complaints about the living arrangements not expecting to be living off campus.
Even though the executive committee approved TSU’s request, it drew a closer look than the one presented by UT-Knoxville even though it had a much shorter time frame, state Sen. Charlane Oliver, D-Nashville, pointed out Monday.

“The level of scrutiny is definitely not the same. But the level of partnership that each public university should have with the state should be equal,” Oliver said. “That’s just not being displayed and hasn’t been displayed throughout the entire session this year. And so the double standard continues, unfortunately.”
TSU’s enrollment jumped to 9,200 last year from 7,600 just two years earlier, many of them first-generation Black college students, as the university increased scholarship awards to $28.3 million from $6.4. A comptroller’s report pointed out the school didn’t have enough on-campus housing for those students and questioned whether some students should have received scholarship money.
The comptroller also released a special report recommending lawmakers vacate and restructure the university’s board of trustees and hire a new administration.
Oliver noted TSU’s enrollment and ability to provide housing was affected by growth in Nashville and lack of affordable housing. In addition, enrollment boomed at historically-black colleges when students returned to campus following the COVID-19 pandemic, she said.
“If you’re doing too well and you have something to brag about in Tennessee, the state is going to come in and take over,” Oliver said, calling the Legislature’s dealings with TSU comparable to its moves to control Metro Nashville government.
Comptroller Jason Mumpower blamed TSU’s crisis on a “series of decisions” made by management and said its leaders should have seen the problems coming.
TSU President Glenda Glover defended the administration’s efforts this year, calling the comptroller’s report misleading and saying the university didn’t give scholarships to students who didn’t qualify.

The comptroller’s report also recommended numerous restrictions on university scholarships and enrollment and called for placing it under control of the Tennessee Board of Regents. TSU and other state universities such as MTSU and the University of Memphis began to emerge from the Board of Regents’ authority in 2016 and appointed their own oversight boards.

Ultimately, lawmakers enacted no penalties on the university but extended the TSU board for only a year. They also approved a $2 million audit of the university.

TSU received $250 million from the Legislature in 2022 after a study found the state shorted the historically-black university for decades, even though it is one of two land grant universities in the state. The university is not allowed to use that money for on-campus housing but for other projects.

State Treasurer David Lillard asked about TSU’s long-term building plan and urged a university official to have a separate emphasis on housing, calling it a “key and pivotal issue.”

TSU Vice President Doug Allen told the committee Monday the university is hoping to have plans approved this fall for two more campus housing buildings with 2,200 beds that could open by 2026

Daps
It’s all of the state funded schools. For decades PV had to let their football program go to shyt because of how the A&M system was doing them. I mean years and years and years of getting drug on the gridiron because they had to choose between campus improvements or improving athletics and that was an easy choice. Lotta us who may have stayed in-state to play at a Black school never even considered PV cause you knew it would be four years of 0-11 seasons. But for the longest PV has been one of the best looking HBCU’s in terms of the overall campus.

I know what it was at SCSU and I’ve heard similar stories from friends who’ve attended other Black schools.

Years ago a buncha retired presidents from Black colleges did a symposium on some of the issues surrounding our schools and corruption was alluded to but wasn’t said outright. I’ll try to find it and repost it.
Man I remember growing up and those PV vs Grambling games were ridiculous. Running joke during State Fair season was "the streak." Always gotta choose academics over athletics but that had to be rough for them.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville

Feb 7, 2024

Tennessee has a problem giving black people money and letting them work it out.

They did something similar with that small town near Memphis that Ford wanted to build the electric vehicle plant in. They will not let black people have control of what they own if they can interfere.