Tekken 8 | PS5/XBOX SERIES X|S/STEAM | Heihachi Returns this Autumn

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think I'm starting to plateau...orange is giving me a tough time and I'm realizing that I don't use a lot of the high level starts and reads

Time to git gud lol

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Just copped, gone be my first tekken game. Any tips for a newbie?:obama:

Same.

I HATE that I feel like I'm button mashing. I have a long way to go but I'm determined to be proficient in this franchise moving forward.
Best I can say is try not to get overwhelmed with the movelist, limit the type of moves that you use at first, just use buttons that make sense for the situation you are in. Learn 1 damaging combo for punish situations. Over time then you should expand the moves that you do in game as you understand the best way to use them.

Also try to utilize 3D movement, but dont overdo it, just in obvious telegraphed attack situations.

Any other advice I'd have would be character specific but idk what chars yall play

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Best I can say is try not to get overwhelmed with the movelist, limit the type of moves that you use at first, just use buttons that make sense for the situation you are in. Learn 1 damaging combo for punish situations. Over time then you should expand the moves that you do in game as you understand the best way to use them.

Also try to utilize 3D movement, but dont overdo it, just in obvious telegraphed attack situations.

Any other advice I'd have would be character specific but idk what chars yall play
So, I tried out a bunch and, once I understand the mechanics better, I plan to main Victor, Raven and Lili.

BUT, after trying Steve Fox.... Breh... Ha sto be the best made, most fleshed out boxing character since Dudley. Better even. His multiple stances and dodge mechanics to bait the attack for a critical hit is just... Masterful when done right.

I also know he is a difficult character to pick up. We'll, I'm a sucked for punishment so... Now I'm here. :pachaha:

Some other obstacles I've run into:
  • The game feels like my input is delayed so I feel like I'm reacting slow but at the same time, the game feels like its moving too fast form me to process. (Which contributes to it feelig like everybody is button mashing)
  • I'm struggling to block correctly. As a matter of fact, the visual look of an attack on block still looks like a hit sometimes. I actually find myself struggling to know if I blocked something or not.
  • The counter to grabbing seems so challenging. Maybe once the game REALLY slows down for me, I'll be able to process the attempted grab - which arm they are initiating the grab with - which corresponding button to press - successful grab break.
I usually have too much pride to admit the type of difficulty I have with a game but I am absolutely a FULL BLOWN NOVICE in Tekken combat so I have no shame. I just REALLY want to get better.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
So, I tried out a bunch and, once I understand the mechanics better, I plan to main Victor, Raven and Lili.

BUT, after trying Steve Fox.... Breh... Ha sto be the best made, most fleshed out boxing character since Dudley. Better even. His multiple stances and dodge mechanics to bait the attack for a critical hit is just... Masterful when done right.

I also know he is a difficult character to pick up. We'll, I'm a sucked for punishment so... Now I'm here. :pachaha:

Some other obstacles I've run into:
  • The game feels like my input is delayed so I feel like I'm reacting slow but at the same time, the game feels like its moving too fast form me to process. (Which contributes to it feelig like everybody is button mashing)
  • I'm struggling to block correctly. As a matter of fact, the visual look of an attack on block still looks like a hit sometimes. I actually find myself struggling to know if I blocked something or not.
  • The counter to grabbing seems so challenging. Maybe once the game REALLY slows down for me, I'll be able to process the attempted grab - which arm they are initiating the grab with - which corresponding button to press - successful grab break.
I usually have too much pride to admit the type of difficulty I have with a game but I am absolutely a FULL BLOWN NOVICE in Tekken combat so I have no shame. I just REALLY want to get better.
Yeah the input delay feel is a real thing, but since I play a slow character, I've mentally decided that it's because of that. If I play someone like a Nina, everything immediately feels responsive, so it could just be the character, but I'm unaware of any official data explaining if there's legit input delay like SF5 had.

Blocking and grab breaks..defense in general is what separates tekken players from each other, because it's probably one of, if not the hardest fighting game to defend in. I don't consider myself good at Tekken BECAUSE I have bad defense in it, my best defense is preventing you from pressing buttons altogether and being on offense. That comes with time, plus if you utilize the replay system you can find out just what the fukk people are hitting you with. I wouldn't be too concerned with that element of it yet tho that comes with time. If you find someone to have long sets with, especially if they play a problem character, that'll help you a lot.

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just reported a player in my recent match for messing with the connection to win the match. They did it twice. I won the first time though. Take that cheating shyt somewhere else. They were a console player too. As I said, people cheat in this game like nobodies business.