Tekken 8 | PS5/XBOX SERIES X|S/STEAM | Heihachi Returns this Autumn

parallax

Superstar
Daps
if you would have told me in 1997 that the biggest fighting game rivalry of the 20s would be tekken and street fighter, i wouldnt have believed it. but here we are

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
if you would have told me in 1997 that the biggest fighting game rivalry of the 20s would be tekken and street fighter, i wouldnt have believed it. but here we are
What was the most popular fighting games back in the 90s

parallax

Superstar
Daps
What was the most popular fighting games back in the 90s

90s? street fighter, mortal kombat, the vs series, various fighters on snk cabs. virtua fighter up to 2, and tekken

but its not about popularity, its just order. capcom was in it against snk. namco entered the market against sega. but where are their rivals now? snk closed up shop and since coming back has been struggling to find its place. sega fell out of the hardware game around the same time snk died and only gave two more efforts before pretty much giving up the ghost.(they brought back vf 5 last year, but only for the ps4 for some reason) i guess as a kid i thought they would always up their game against each other, not just fall to the wayside and allow a new order to form

Black_Jesus

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
from the home of coca-cola, i'm not referring to s
90s? street fighter, mortal kombat, the vs series, various fighters on snk cabs. virtua fighter up to 2, and tekken

but its not about popularity, its just order. capcom was in it against snk. namco entered the market against sega. but where are their rivals now? snk closed up shop and since coming back has been struggling to find its place. sega fell out of the hardware game around the same time snk died and only gave two more efforts before pretty much giving up the ghost.(they brought back vf 5 last year, but only for the ps4 for some reason) i guess as a kid i thought they would always up their game against each other, not just fall to the wayside and allow a new order to form
tekken 3 and Tag had the juice when it hit the arcades in the late 90s..

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Kind of weird to say since in 97 SF was the top dog, MK4 wasnt impressing and Tekken 3 had just come out and was really huge in arcades.

I actually remember my older cousins getting MK4 on N64 and calling it wack :mjlol:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
tekken 3 and Tag had the juice when it hit the arcades in the late 90s..
tekken 3 absolutely. it stepped out of vfs shadow big time with that one. not sure about tag though. i only saw it once in an alladins castle at the mall and that was after it came out for the ps2

Kind of weird to say since in 97 SF was the top dog, MK4 wasnt impressing and Tekken 3 had just come out and was really huge in arcades.

I actually remember my older cousins getting MK4 on N64 and calling it wack :mjlol:

its not that street fighter is a top dog, but that its gnashing its teeth at tekken of all series. it feels wierd even with tekken 3 beating street fighter 3 in arcades

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
Tekken 8 showing confirmed for VGA 2022

Edit:

Fi1VnkFUYAAn0mi

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Watch what end up happening, we going to get a Tekken 8 beta or demo, a Street fighter 6 beta or demo and the guilty gear patch all on the same weekend

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang

Anybody with class saw SF and Tekken as the best two of the bunch :stopitslime:

Tekken 1 was better than VF in lots of ppls eyes. VF2 was the pinnacle imo.
Tekken 2 was when it was official. And Tekken 3 was basically Tekken 2 plus Eddie and Harowang
Tekken Tag was extremely popular when it hit PS2 launch.

For you to not see these as the creme of the crop is just flat out.... You must have been too young to fathom properly what was what I guess?

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Anybody with class saw SF and Tekken as the best two of the bunch :stopitslime:

Tekken 1 was better than VF in lots of ppls eyes. VF2 was the pinnacle imo.
Tekken 2 was when it was official. And Tekken 3 was basically Tekken 2 plus Eddie and Harowang
Tekken Tag was extremely popular when it hit PS2 launch.

For you to not see these as the creme of the crop is just flat out.... You must have been too young to fathom properly what was what I guess?

tekken 1 was playing catch up to virtua fighter, stop playing.
tekken 2 and virtua fighter 2 was the peak of the 3d fighter rivalry
then sega pulled a sega with virtua fighter 3 and tekken took the ball and hasnt been touched by a 3d fighter since