Teflon Don has some advice for black people (the blacks)

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Those are the exceptions. The general rule still apply
Exceptions? :pachaha:
so who are all these people then that got rich because they never litter.
dude listed littering like it was a black econominc issue. if he had just mentioned it as something everybody should do for environmental purpose i would see why yall are co-signing his c00ning.

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
Exceptions? :pachaha:
so who are all these people then that got rich because they never litter.
dude listed littering like it was a black economic issue. if he had just mentioned it as something everybody should do for environmental purpose i would see why yall are co-signing his c00ning.
Yeah, the littering part was petty, but his last 2 were spot on.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I hate people that litter and I hate that littering is so prevalent in our lower income communities because these are the most numerous black communities in the first place. I spoke about this with a someonebefore and the city deliberately refuses to have the same level of street sanitation in our communities that they do in others. The trash cans up and down 79th are far and fewer between and filled with trash that the city doesnt regularly pick up like they should. Like they do in OTHER communities. This just helps bolster bad habits of littering because theres often nowhere to put it or it just falls over and blows all over the place. So kids growing up seeing trash everywhere as normal and they turn into adults that just throw trash on the ground.

The rebuttal i got was "why would the city come and get trash if people are just throwing it on the ground anyway". To which I said "Because thats exactly what they are specifically paid to do." Its on everyone to keep the community clean but its especially up to the people who take money from these communities (taxes) to keep it clean because thats their they are being paid to do. Blame starts at the top because there is no shortage of resources or morality involved to keep them from doing it. THEN the blame can be put on the people themselves. When they are seeing that its clean, its easier mentally for people to keep it clean.

This isnt a direct response to anything you said though. Just a conversation I had before with someone that I recalled reading your post.

The 1st bolded is true. Kids mimic what they see, especially if they don’t have anyone at home to tell them otherwise.

The 2nd bolded is bullshyt. People who see no value in community usually don't respect it, unless someone can explain to them why they should do otherwise. I myself have spoken to people about the littering issue. And just like you explained above, you have a segment of people peope amongst us who believe that if someone else is going to pick up the trash, then its ok to throw it on the ground. I've talked with employees of the park district and they said they can't keep up with the litter in the park.. I also know people who do building maintenance for CHA buildings on the north and southside. They say that shyt be fcked up every other day with trash. I got tons of pictures to back up what im saying because they are sent to me.

And i guess im in a minority because I don't care if someone is paid to clean im, im just a person who doesn't throw trash on the ground. I wasn't raised that way and i was born within a impoverished community..

Coolin'

All Star
Daps
Completely disagree with 5, 4, and 3. Black people aren't the only groups of people to do these things, and it's almost a slap-in-the-face that he's saying that as though we are. Us not doing it isn't gonna change anyone else from doing it. So instead of those 3, I'd argue absentee fathers should be on the list. Wasn't Don Lemon a product of a single-parent home? Hasn't he spoken about how tough his childhood was?

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
The 1st bolded is true. Kids mimic what they see, especially if they don’t have anyone at home to tell them otherwise.

The 2nd bolded is bullshyt. People who see no value in community usually don't respect it, unless someone can explain to them why they should do otherwise. I myself have spoken to people about the littering issue. And just like you explained above, you have a segment of people peope amongst us who believe that if someone else is going to pick up the trash, then its ok to throw it on the ground. I've talked with employees of the park district and they said they can't keep up with the litter in the park.. I also know people who do building maintenance for CHA buildings on the north and southside. They say that shyt be fcked up every other day with trash. I got tons of pictures to back up what im saying because they are sent to me.

And i guess im in a minority because I don't care if someone is paid to clean im, im just a person who doesn't throw trash on the ground. I wasn't raised that way and i was born within a impoverished community..
Im not going to devalue you opinion because its based on your experience. In regard to you saying its bullshyt that people are unable to change their ways even if the environment changes, bro my whole career at the moment is proof that it can. Thats part of what I do for a living man. You havent seen it or dont believe that to be the case and thats fine. You said you have your proof. I have mine as well. Ive got 3 companies whose sole job it is help people make that change. Ive been doing this work for 11yrs now. I have guys that were the very people that threw trash out a window or on the ground that will get up in the morning now and walk their own block picking up trash. Thats just a side effect of the work my teams do but one of many that are positive. And one of the easiest ways to do that was to explain why its happening, show them what it looks like when it doesnt happen and give them tools if they ready for them, to help stop it from happening. The best sense of accomplishment is when I have one of my guys with me doing something random and they see someone dump a mcdonalds bag out the car while we were driving and he said "Look at this nasty muthafukka here man". Not to me but to himself. That was just last Friday.

I was raised the same way as you and feel the same way so maybe we lost eachother in translation as far as what I was saying. But not everyone was raised like us or just has that kind of mentality naturally about cleanliness. But we can teach people why we are this way and what affect we think it has on us and our homes. Brotha people are impressionable as hell if they open themselves up to you to impress upon them. Some just dont know any better because they were never shown to know better, not because they dont want to know better.

They can change.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Im not going to devalue you opinion because its based on your experience. In regard to you saying its bullshyt that people are unable to change their ways even if the environment changes, bro my whole career at the moment is proof that it can. Thats part of what I do for a living man. You havent seen it or dont believe that to be the case and thats fine. You said you have your proof. I have mine as well. Ive got 3 companies whose sole job it is help people make that change. Ive been doing this work for 11yrs now. I have guys that were the very people that threw trash out a window or on the ground that will get up in the morning now and walk their own block picking up trash. Thats just a side effect of the work my teams do but one of many that are positive. And one of the easiest ways to do that was to explain why its happening, show them what it looks like when it doesnt happen and give them tools if they ready for them, to help stop it from happening. The best sense of accomplishment is when I have one of my guys with me doing something random and they see someone dump a mcdonalds bag out the car while we were driving and he said "Look at this nasty muthafukka here man". Not to me but to himself. That was just last Friday.

I was raised the same way as you and feel the same way so maybe we lost eachother in translation as far as what I was saying. But not everyone was raised like us or just has that kind of mentality naturally about cleanliness. But we can teach people why we are this way and what affect we think it has on us and our homes. Brotha people are impressionable as hell if they open themselves up to you to impress upon them. Some just dont know any better because they were never shown to know better, not because they dont want to know better.

They can change.

I agree with everything here. :manny:

And if you been working in the community for years, then you should understand you have people within the community that simply don't give a fck. You got people thats been hurt really bad and look to put that pain on others..

I believe the disagreement comes when people try to make a both/and conversation into a either/or conversation..

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I agree with everything here. :manny:

And if you been working in the community for years, then you should understand you have people within the community that simply don't give a fck. You got people thats been hurt really bad and look to put that pain on others..

I believe the disagreement comes when people try to make a both/and conversation into a either/or conversation..
Yeah no for sure. You can hope to reach everyone but you absolutely wont. Hell its not even most. All these people exists in the same space at the same time with varying outcomes.