Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
Mouse House caught 7000 bodies on top of the intentional talent drain from the RTO mandate :picard:

Was probably closer to 10k shed between both those moves. I’m curious to see how they deal with that type of brain drain

I was looking at Disney as well for a position they had open, glad I didn’t try to pursue that shyt. Got lucky with Amazon too, was also looking at Amex but they seem to be fine.

Wait till you see how many H-1B visa folks get deported.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Wait till you see how many H-1B visa folks get deported.
I think they changed the law to give them 1 year to find work and no longer that 60 day rush. If that’s still in effect though you are going to see a lot of talented H1B people take the first thing that will sponsor them for the low low which is the intent of these shytty big tech companies (salary reset)

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
I think they changed the law to give them 1 year to find work and no longer that 60 day rush. If that’s still in effect though you are going to see a lot of talented H1B people take the first thing that will sponsor them for the low low which is the intent of these shytty big tech companies (salary reset)

I haven't seen any changes. But they also say a lot of folks may move to Canada.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
i haven’t been in tech a year yet but these are some of those softest ass people and are behind processes wise by damn near a decade. I see why too they just promote these unqualified people into roles they are not ready for.

Side note: Seriously whoever invented slack needs their ass whipped. Fukk that app:pacspit:

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There’s a lot of Indians in tech as u know. They’re going to look out for each other. Ain’t none of them going back home unless they want to.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes- that’s why that whole performance based appraisals are a myth right now

Don’t blame your boss if you get laid off in a recession this year.

Blame Big Data.

A whopping 98% of human resources leaders say they’ll rely at least partly on software programs, or algorithms, to decide whom to cut if they have to conduct layoffs in an anticipated recession in 2023, according to a recent survey by Capterra, which helps small businesses choose software.

That’s up from just 2% of large companies that turned to Big Data in the Great Recession of 2007-09, according to Capterra, a unit of tech research giant Gartner. In November, Capterra surveyed 300 human resources managers at mostly larger firms as well as some small to mid-size businesses.

“Over the past 15 years, the market for HR software has exploded,” says Brian Westfall, Capterra’s principal HR analyst. Company officials “are relying on the systems…to make a ton of decisions and that will extend into the layoff decisions they make.”

Tech companies such as Amazon, Facebook parent company Meta and Twitter likely already have relied heavily on the software as they laid off tens of thousands of employees – a total of about 192,000, according to layoffs.fyi – in 2022 and early 2023, Westfall says. Last week, Microsoft announced 10,000 job cuts and Google, 12,000.

😳🥺
These companies are dumber than I thought.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Mouse House caught 7000 bodies on top of the intentional talent drain from the RTO mandate :picard:

Was probably closer to 10k shed between both those moves. I’m curious to see how they deal with that type of brain drain

I was looking at Disney as well for a position they had open, glad I didn’t try to pursue that shyt. Got lucky with Amazon too, was also looking at Amex but they seem to be fine.

Number of companies I was looking at ended up cutting. My own did too, but we are in very spooky times. Thry are not cutting for performance or the lower talent. They’re cutting anyone…VPs even. They are going further on cuts than Thry need to. So many are cutting that this is the time to do it and not be in the news. Gonna be a rough year for Tech. In the good times remember these days. You’ll make better decisions.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Number of companies I was looking at ended up cutting. My own did too, but we are in very spooky times. Thry are not cutting for performance or the lower talent. They’re cutting anyone…VPs even. They are going further on cuts than Thry need to. So many are cutting that this is the time to do it and not be in the news. Gonna be a rough year for Tech. In the good times remember these days. You’ll make better decisions.
Yeah I’ve put my resume out there already and I hopefully am headed towards healthcare or an offshoot of government talent acquisition. :hubie:

Daps
These companies are dumber than I thought.
Yep...."algorithms" probably just factor in salary, experience...maybe even medical claims on company insurance and some other shyt.

Getting rid of dollars and skills.

I bet the logic is to get rid of the highest performers AND the lowest performers. Why? Because top performers might be 8% better as employees but make 12% more in salary because of extra $$$ in bonuses and merit pay. The bottom folks get cut because they're working 3 side gigs anyway.

The middle people do "good enough" while the cost savings makes up for it. Then squeeze the middle people to do more work....they aren't good enough performers to demand more $$$$ and can be more easily replaced than top folks.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yep...."algorithms" probably just factor in salary, experience...maybe even medical claims on company insurance and some other shyt.

I bet the logic is to get rid of the highest performers AND the lowest performers. Why? Because top performers might be 8% better as employees but make 12% more in salary because of extra $$$ in bonuses and merit pay. The bottom folks get cut because they're working 3 side gigs anyway.

The middle people do "good enough" while the cost savings makes up for it. Then squeeze the middle people to do more work....they aren't good enough performers to demand more $$$$ and can be more easily replaced than top folks.

While I get it, it’s such a stupid way to do things. Let all tha knowledge walk out the door is just not smart.

Spence

Superstar
Daps

An additional layer would take into account vacation requests sick time and PTO taken I bet. And then once all the Mids that are left settle into a new groove repeat the cycle of axing top and lowest level performers all over again :beli:

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Folks what the bolded means is SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

don’t gamble on silly investments.

Minimize your spend.

Cut off anyone whose lifestyle choices is affecting or has the potential to affect your pockets. Yes, this means significant other as well as family. With family u may just have to minimize contact.

There’s this thing called dignity. I wish an avalanche of it on the black race. Nothing greater than being able to walk out of any situation u deem unpleasant, whether it be racism or whatever.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Folks what the bolded means is SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

don’t gamble on silly investments.

Minimize your spend.

Cut off anyone whose lifestyle choices is affecting or has the potential to affect your pockets. Yes, this means significant other as well as family. With family u may just have to minimize contact.

There’s this thing called dignity. I wish an avalanche of it on the black race. Nothing greater than being able to walk out of any situation u deem unpleasant, whether it be racism or whatever.

It also means that a job can't be relied on. We are going to see people with 10 different jobs in their work careers now. It is vital to have multiple streams of income.