Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Be careful. Michael Burry Is smart but he’s also a conspiracy theory nut job. Like the devil, 98% of what he says may be true but it’s that 2% that will destroy you.
98%? :leon:

tumblr_mcxawbPbfy1rydtld.gif

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Hell Zuckerberg May be out of a job soon. This meta verse thing is a clusterfukk money pit. Value of the company is down 70% over the last year. I know the board wants his freckle faced head on a platter.
Zuckerberg can’t be fired. I just read he owns 90% of type B stocks that have 10 votes per share. Type A stocks only have 1 vote per share. Zuckerberg is a dictator

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Nope. They're already asking some of the employees they fired to come back. Elon doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Most of those fired are probably going to Bluesky Social.The only way I'd come back to Twitter if I was one of those ex-employees is if they gave me at least 3 times my old salary.

giphy.webp

BlueSky Social??? That the new Twitter? :lupe:

edit: Dorsey starting that :ohhh: . It's been a good run Twitter. Once Bluesky is up and running....

out-disappear.gif

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nope. They're already asking some of the employees they fired to come back. Elon doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Most of those fired are probably going to Bluesky Social.The only way I'd come back to Twitter if I was one of those ex-employees is if they gave me at least 3 times my old salary.

giphy.webp
do you come back? these twitter employees get 2 months pay because of some rule in california about mass layoffs.

morris

Superstar
Daps
been asked this. company Im at already laid off 1/5 of the staff

but there is always hope

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
One thing you have to remember is that Tech in particular is subject to boom/bust outside of the stalwarts like Microsoft/Apple/Google/Amazon

Many of those companies grow at exponential rates, and in many cases unsustainably. WeWork is a great example of this as well. Too many start-ups and traditional companies have an aversion to running lean. They think it makes them look unsuccessful/don't have growth. And in the cases of Social Media platforms like Meta there's a big conversation around disinformation and advertising that's causing people to not spend their money on the platform for good or ill.

In the case of Intel, the US just announced that they are freezing chips and semiconductor R&D AND manufacturing in China. China is Intel's biggest market for semiconductors and chips. So if China can't make them at the rate they did, they can't sell them at the rate they did. So they take a hit as well.

Other industries don't have these kinds of issues. Travel/Hospitality are banging right now.

There's going to be a downturn, will it be like 08? No. Too many markets, and people's HOMES aren't in danger like they were then. But Tech is a weird indicator for the economy. I remember the .com bubble bursting and while that hit Wall Street, the average person was (relatively) unaffected.

You have not factored in the auto loan bubble, the debt that covid has created and that relates to the cost of living crises. Increased interest rates.

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps
I am a Business Analyst which is high demand. I dont sell insurance or work support. Plus im one of the best on my team so if they wanna get rid me :yeshrug:

Breh I will hire you to work for my company.