Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Yall done talked all these folks into getting these tech jobs ..
If youre a software developer, you're fine. You either go to less prestigious companies if you were in one of these FAANGS and still make bank, just a bit less, or pivot to other areas in the interim.

Also, like someone said, a lot of these layoffs are hitting non-tech related roles like HR and Recruiting which is a given since why do you need recruiters when you're reducing head counts. That is an easy choice for cuts.

So, it's still not a bad idea to enter these type of jobs. Thankfully, I'm in a recession proof industry :pachaha: I don't make the same as someone who works at Google or Microsoft but we are in a hiring spree at the moment. They are hoping to poach some of these workers from places like the above.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Game over if you’re not in a tech specialization field like Cybersecurity, Data Science or Data Privacy

tech-layoffs-2022-MAIN-1.jpg

This is a Bloodbath. Those days of CompSci majors and BigTech running shyt - finished. LowTech

Rise of the Engineers and Architectures

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
another thing to consider is that when interest rates start going up and operating lines of credit were being renewed woth banks and lenders, these tech companies that grew with 0% interest really felt the impact of higher borrowing rates. These layoffs were expected imo and more to come.

Yup. Small and Mid-cap value stocks are gonna be the wave for a while.

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
If youre a software developer, you're fine. You either go to less prestigious companies if you were in one of these FAANGS and still make bank, just a bit less, or pivot to other areas in the interim.

Also, like someone said, a lot of these layoffs are hitting non-tech related roles like HR and Recruiting which is a given since why do you need recruiters when you're reducing head counts. That is an easy choice for cuts.

So, it's still not a bad idea to enter these type of jobs. Thankfully, I'm in a recession proof industry :pachaha: I don't make the same as someone who works at Google or Microsoft but we are in a hiring spree at the moment. They are hoping to poach some of these workers from places like the above.
yea, startups are still hiring like crazy, i get hit with at least 4-5 recruiter emails/week still, the only issue is it's monopoly money, you'll still get your base, but people were caking off RSU's this past decade. gambling on options hoping a company goes public 5-10 years from now is still a big liquidity hit

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia

It looks like the boom times are over for investment banking, and big layoffs are back on Wall Street. The news of Goldman Sachs laying off 3,200 well-paid, white-collar workers sheds light on the challenging environment on Wall Street. Declines in initial public offerings, mergers and acquisitions and deal-making have caused a drop in revenue. Global IPO activity fell 45% year-over-year, according to data from Ernst & Young.

Morgan Stanley announced around 1,600 job cuts. Citigroup let go of dozens of people within its investment banking division, as dealmaking continues to slow down. One of the largest money managers in the world, BlackRock, said it would lay off around 500 professionals. Coinbase, a publicly traded cryptocurrency exchange, is once again reducing headcount, slashing 950 positions, in its third round of layoffs within a year. Bank of New York Mellon, one of the oldest financial institutions in America, has plans to cut about 3% of its workforce, representing about 1,500 jobs.

—-
This is hitting a little close to home🧐
So glad I left the bank in 2021 :whew:

broller

Veteran
Daps

What's your industry?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Dudes on Blind going crazy right now. They are panicking

We had an internal call today and my manager said he expects big tech layoffs AT LEAST until Q3. That’s a long time

Basically going to reverse all of the pandemic over hiring.

in the past you could at least depend on folks just bouncing on their own lol but these big tech companies laying off then having hiring freezes

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Numbers are pretty much just going back to pre-covid staffing levels. Some of these companies hired like 30-40k ppl during covid, no cap.
Total recent layoffs is still under 100k iirc in an industry that still forecasts needing millions more employees over the next decade. They literally have to ship workers in to do the work the demand is so high. Long term the industry will be fine, especially for experienced people
They need employees to do what jobs for how much money? When you dig deeper you realize majority of those jobs are low paying.

Central banks and Fed governments fukked a lot of people. When Trump was handing out money no one thought about the impact. I did. I said inflation was going to rock. Now look at the mess.

We close to 100K in a frigging MONTH! This is armageddon for Tech jobs

Last edited: