Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think RSU refreshers + the new hire grants will be lower going forward.
Naw. bonuses and refreshers actually already increased due to inflation over the past few years. Mine doubled last year. Experienced talent is still in demand and can get work anywhere. And experience is even more valuable when these companies get leaner and try to do more with less employees. They gotta pay to keep you. I still got recruiters hitting me every week.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
One job on the east coast then one on the west which is 4 hours apart giving you a lot of time in between both.
Good point but I’m in consulting and I get clients from both coasts. Really the main issue is my current job is very volatile and basically impossible to predict unless I’m on a long term contract.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Good point but I’m in consulting and I get clients from both coasts. Really the main issue is my current job is very volatile and basically impossible to predict unless I’m on a long term contract.
Sounds like it’s time to find a new main and then take another job that you can bs until they fire you. That’s what the overemployed crowd has been doing.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Naw. bonuses and refreshers actually already increased due to inflation over the past few years. Mine doubled last year. Experienced talent is still in demand and can get work anywhere. And experience is even more valuable when these companies get leaner and try to do more with less employees. They gotta pay to keep you. I still got recruiters hitting me every week.

last yr was based on the covid boom lol, we will see next FY

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Crazy about these layoffs, but the stock prices have been boosting the last month if you've been watching.

Have a feeling big tech job market will bounce back sooner than later. Get those skills built.

Last edited:

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
ZvPbXxX.png

Jekyll

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This thread is always so doomy and gloomy so I wanna sprinkle a little positivity.

Just gotta offer for $150k for another dod contractor role. No degree but I do have like 10 yrs of experience . I only have 2 valid certs right now. Supposedly a good bit of it is remote so the plan is to work this and my other 95% remote gig and just stack money. Im in the socal area if that matters to you.

Don’t let this layoff shyt scare you. Its money to be made.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
This thread is always so doomy and gloomy so I wanna sprinkle a little positivity.

Just gotta offer for $150k for another dod contractor role. No degree but I do have like 10 yrs of experience . I only have 2 valid certs right now. Supposedly a good bit of it is remote so the plan is to work this and my other 95% remote gig and just stack money. Im in the socal area if that matters to you.

Don’t let this layoff shyt scare you. Its money to be made.

how is DOD with fully remote. Thinking about a pivot when I wanna coast into retirement lol

Jekyll

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
how is DOD with fully remote. Thinking about a pivot when I wanna coast into retirement lol
Pretty dope. Alot like any other place. You can vpn with the gov laptop for stuff on the unclassified networks. You usually have to go in to a base for the classified stuff.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've done DOD contracting before and it's not as secure as people think. Especially if Republicans control Congress but not the Oval office.

The best thing is if you can get Federal job by kissing up to a Fed Manager. Otherwise you can be dropped for any reason by these Federal contract companies. Especially if you make too much money for
the contract. I saw people let go and given 2 weeks to get picked up by another sponsor or else.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
My main concern is being able to work anywhere on a whim without having to check in with folks, one reason I avoid govt work right now lol

Pretty dope. Alot like any other place. You can vpn with the gov laptop for stuff on the unclassified networks. You usually have to go in to a base for the classified stuff.

I've done DOD contracting before and it's not as secure as people think. Especially if Republicans control Congress but not the Oval office.

The best thing is if you can get Federal job by kissing up to a Fed Manager. Otherwise you can be dropped for any reason by these Federal contract companies. Especially if you make too much money for
the contract. I saw people let go and given 2 weeks to get picked up by another sponsor or else.

Jekyll

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I mean, per the subject of this thread, you can dropped by any company for any reason. You have to pick the right one. My first company made a commitment to not layoff anybody during all the commotion with covid. I’m going on my third year with them and I don’t really do shyt and my job isnt in jeopardy or anything like that. No space is 100% secure but my phone/email has been jumping for like 3-4 years straight. They basically chased me down for this role.

I would also argue that conservatives lean more towards contractors than hiring people on the gov side. They want small government. They would rather there be no government employees and have everything contracted out.

Jekyll

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My main concern is being able to work anywhere on a whim without having to check in with folks, one reason I avoid govt work right now lol
You definitely have to “show your face” to the government but I would argue the workloads are lower than anywhere else in the field. You’re not judged by productivity and stuff like that. As long as you are fulfilling the contract you’re good. The amount of free time I have is like nothing else I’ve ever seen.