Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Daps

This is stupid. I always thought this was the point of wfh.

Ain’t no way people are sitting at their desk at home, for all 8 hours a day, everyday.

I get that there will days like that. However, not every day or week is purely 8 hours, sitting in front of a desk.

Yep. I did this twice last year. I went on a road trip and I took off on the day that I traveled (for an undisclosed reason :mjgrin:) and then I went back to work when I got there :mjlol:

I was saving my PTO for something else and I didn't want to spend it on those trips.

Daps
Got 4 interviews this week for remote Sr. Data Engineer roles starting tomorrow.

I hope you get them, breh.

I want to leave my job so bad but I'm afraid to get back out in this job market. I'll wait until they fire me. Judging by what's happening in the industry, I'm sure it will be soon :mjgrin: I'll probably be happy when it comes :mjlol:

I want to go back to being a purely frontend engineer. I had to learn backend stuff on the job. And it's cool, don't get me wrong... but I'm not getting paid enough to do both.

I want to either get a pure frontend position (if that's even still a thing) or get better pay for being a fullstack engineer.

Daps

:skip:

I learned how to program in my bedroom and I knew about some of that within 2 months or less. I was working with libraries probably a month in. It took me a little longer to get to frameworks and I didn't conceptually understand API for the first 8 months or maybe longer. I can't imagine going to school and not knowing this stuff. Wow.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I hope you get them, breh.

I want to leave my job so bad but I'm afraid to get back out in this job market. I'll wait until they fire me. Judging by what's happening in the industry, I'm sure it will be soon :mjgrin: I'll probably be happy when it comes :mjlol:

I want to go back to being a purely frontend engineer. I had to learn backend stuff on the job. And it's cool, don't get me wrong... but I'm not getting paid enough to do both.

I want to either get a pure frontend position (if that's even still a thing) or get better pay for being a fullstack engineer.

Why not just start looking now while you got a gig?

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
:skip:

I learned how to program in my bedroom and I knew about some of that within 2 months or less. I was working with libraries probably a month in. It took me a little longer to get to frameworks and I didn't conceptually understand API for the first 8 months or maybe longer. I can't imagine going to school and not knowing this stuff. Wow.

I didn't know what an API was either when I graduated. They don't teach you that stuff in school. A CS degree is to learn about theoretical concepts like algorithms.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I didn't know what an API was either when I graduated. They don't teach you that stuff in school. A CS degree is to learn about theoretical concepts like algorithms.

Needs to be more hands on. I went to a “hands on” school despite getting accepted by better schools. I was able to get a job in the summers which translated to 1 day a week and so I was able to hit the ground running when I started my career.

Theory is cool up to a point. Also pick a school with a good internship program.

Companies don’t want to train…schools just care about money. Students have to grind more than ever.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Needs to be more hands on. I went to a “hands on” school despite getting accepted by better schools. I was able to get a job in the summers which translated to 1 day a week and so I was able to hit the ground running when I started my career.

Theory is cool up to a point. Also pick a school with a good internship program.

Companies don’t want to train…schools just care about money. Students have to grind more than ever.

That's because school can't keep up with how fast the industry changes. The best developers are generally the self-starter/self-taught folks.