Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no experience, just a CS degree I got back in 2019. Decided to give this SWE thing one last shot and have been learning Swift and practicing my LeetCode. I started applying for SWE positions on the 1st of this month. Finally got a request for interview for a remote iOS Developer position. Wish me luck.:manny:

Daps
The problem is that socially this does not work. If all companies do this. We won't have jobs to pay for services lol.
It works, most people accept the benefits of capitalism. Just look at all the phones, flat screen TVs, ChatGPT, Bluetooth speakers, cars etc. that people own. shyt, look at the automates cashiers at Kroger and Walmart! Companies become more efficient to lower prices, increase sales volumes to gain market share. When automation arrived in the garment industry in Liverpool in the late 1700s, the handcraft guilds protested and destroyed many machines that brought efficiency. Eventually, they lost the war against automation. How many jobs lost since the invention of software but before AI? 200 years from now, future generations will forget about the losses of jobs due to AI and for them AI will be part of their daily lives.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Good series of posts about A.I (posting the first)

I do think there is a lot of validity to what she's saying. A tremendous amount actually.

Remember, recently many PhD's across many different fields from Computer Science, Physics, Math, Engineering, Biology, etc. from Stanford, Georgia Tech, Caltech, M.I.T, U.I.C, etc. have gone on to say A.I probably won't truly get to the level people are shilling it as until maybe another 15-30 years. Possibly the next 50 years. If it ever even does. This is what insanely smart people, working with other insanely smart people from other fields have to say. That's the thing, no one knows. We need better tech breakthroughs and when will those happen? Nobody knows. It took centuries for Calculus to be invented once we had Algebra. The discovery can be right in our face and we glance over it for centuries or it can be far off and it'll take centuries to get there. It's like Terence Tao once said: it's not up to any one person or group of people to discover or make a scientific breakthrough. When nature presents itself, then the time comes up. You can't force scientific breakthroughs. This isn't something you brute force/optimize your way into, this is a breakthrough that's most likely going to be something novel and orthogonal, so nobody really knows.

Think about it, if we produce a sentient A.I that means we'll get a clue on how we came about as humans. Do you think we're close to finding that out?

Chances are it's not going to happen in the next 2-3 years like every shill on social media, Twitter echo chamber or solo brogrammer working on their own little something says.

Unfortunately, this Google news gets that latter group of people going. It's a significant amount of people affected unfortunately and that's legit news. However, Google is usually on point and chances are they've really had a hard look at their entire company to make that decision and brought in minds who are reliable to make a decision like that. I know how that company works, and it definitely ain't on a whim: their test suite alone is batshyt insane with world class coverage - nearly everything has tests. That's how cautious they are and the infrastructure they've had for decades. Most likely there have been red flags with that department for awhile for one reason or another.

However, like I've told other people as well: many CEO's will make and have made the big mistake of overestimating A.I and letting go of talent critical to what they're doing that'll be highly costly or irreversible to them. They ain't Google - even other big dogs are not on Google's level.

Companies have literally laid departments off because of ChatGPT 3.0 and now they're down bad for it if they're even still around :mjlol: :heh:

This A.I hype has caused managers to cut corners and it's only made them pay for it more times than not.

That said, it's still good we're jumping on this issue now rather than 20 years from now. That's the one positive coming out of the overblown hype has done as we see A.I Executive Orders being dispersed - it actually has opened up legit, demanding discussion regarding UBI. Which is funny because the same people who used to call UBI "handouts" are now freaking out about their jobs being jeopardized because CEO's are overestimating shytty A.I - which is putting a focus on shytty CEO's that they used to defend.

Last edited:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
It works, most people accept the benefits of capitalism. Just look at all the phones, flat screen TVs, ChatGPT, Bluetooth speakers, cars etc. that people own. shyt, look at the automates cashiers at Kroger and Walmart! Companies become more efficient to lower prices, increase sales volumes to gain market share. When automation arrived in the garment industry in Liverpool in the late 1700s, the handcraft guilds protested and destroyed many machines that brought efficiency. Eventually, they lost the war against automation. How many jobs lost since the invention of software but before AI? 200 years from now, future generations will forget about the losses of jobs due to AI and for them AI will be part of their daily lives.
LOL this is straight up false. Companies try and become more efficient to raise profits. Consumer demand eventually determines prices.

Daps
LOL this is straight up false. Companies try and become more efficient to raise profits. Consumer demand eventually determines prices.
I agree with you! More profits come out of being more efficient. From consumers perspective, prices are lower (ex flat screen tv 15k$ in 1997, 600$ in 2022). If a company could make the same profits by not being efficient and not lose market share, yes the status quo will remain. It is a path to suive though due to competitive dynamics, thus always trying to be efficient.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Cut all the jobs, and nobody has any income to buy dumb shot, every company goes out of business. It’s cyclical, that said, if SSI is shytty now, just wait until all of us are on UBI :mjlol:

:francis:

BlackJesus

Spread science, save with coupons
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
How many jobs lost since the invention of software but before AI?

Not so many jobs that it would cause millions of white collar professionals like accountants and software engineers to be out of work. AI is a completely different beast from past innovations.

Smart dumb take :mjlol:

Daps
Not so many jobs that it would cause millions of white collar professionals like accountants and software engineers to be out of work. AI is a completely different beast from past innovations.

Smart dumb take :mjlol:
My responses is about efficiency independent of eras, from up to now. The march to automation/efficiency started long time ago, in certain areas automation due to AI is just another continuation of that.

BlackJesus

Spread science, save with coupons
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
My responses is about efficiency independent of eras, from up to now. The march to automation/efficiency started long time ago, in certain areas automation due to AI is just another continuation of that.

Doesn’t negate his point though. No jobs = no one to pay for things companies are selling

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Cut all the jobs, and nobody has any income to buy dumb shot, every company goes out of business. It’s cyclical, that said, if SSI is shytty now, just wait until all of us are on UBI :mjlol:

:francis:
It could go one of two ways. They could cut jobs and use that money to funnel to stock holders. Or they could use the newfound efficiency to continue growing the company and hiring people in other departments. AI may lead to certain jobs going away but it'll likely lead to them hiring people in different jobs whether it be R&D, sales, marketing or whatever else and likely repurposing developers to write other stuff.

In both software companies I've worked at there is such a backlog of stuff we hope to develop that we'll never run out of work.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Good series of posts about A.I (posting the first)

I do think there is a lot of validity to what she's saying. A tremendous amount actually.

Remember, recently many PhD's across many different fields from Computer Science, Physics, Math, Engineering, Biology, etc. from Stanford, Georgia Tech, Caltech, M.I.T, U.I.C, etc. have gone on to say A.I probably won't truly get to the level people are shilling it as until maybe another 15-30 years. Possibly the next 50 years. If it ever even does. This is what insanely smart people, working with other insanely smart people from other fields have to say. That's the thing, no one knows. We need better tech breakthroughs and when will those happen? Nobody knows. It took centuries for Calculus to be invented once we had Algebra. The discovery can be right in our face and we glance over it for centuries or it can be far off and it'll take centuries to get there. It's like Terence Tao once said: it's not up to any one person or group of people to discover or make a scientific breakthrough. When nature presents itself, then the time comes up. You can't force scientific breakthroughs. This isn't something you brute force/optimize your way into, this is a breakthrough that's most likely going to be something novel and orthogonal, so nobody really knows.

Think about it, if we produce a sentient A.I that means we'll get a clue on how we came about as humans. Do you think we're close to finding that out?

Chances are it's not going to happen in the next 2-3 years like every shill on social media, Twitter echo chamber or solo brogrammer working on their own little something says.

Unfortunately, this Google news gets that latter group of people going. It's a significant amount of people affected unfortunately and that's legit news. However, Google is usually on point and chances are they've really had a hard look at their entire company to make that decision and brought in minds who are reliable to make a decision like that. I know how that company works, and it definitely ain't on a whim: their test suite alone is batshyt insane with world class coverage - nearly everything has tests. That's how cautious they are and the infrastructure they've had for decades. Most likely there have been red flags with that department for awhile for one reason or another.

However, like I've told other people as well: many CEO's will make and have made the big mistake of overestimating A.I and letting go of talent critical to what they're doing that'll be highly costly or irreversible to them. They ain't Google - even other big dogs are not on Google's level.

Companies have literally laid departments off because of ChatGPT 3.0 and now they're down bad for it if they're even still around :mjlol: :heh:

This A.I hype has caused managers to cut corners and it's only made them pay for it more times than not.

That said, it's still good we're jumping on this issue now rather than 20 years from now. That's the one positive coming out of the overblown hype has done as we see A.I Executive Orders being dispersed - it actually has opened up legit, demanding discussion regarding UBI. Which is funny because the same people who used to call UBI "handouts" are now freaking out about their jobs being jeopardized because CEO's are overestimating shytty A.I - which is putting a focus on shytty CEO's that they used to defend.

I think it'll happen a lot sooner than 15-30 years and thats because I don't think AI needs to be sentient to be considered AGI. it just needs better reasoning, more math accuracy preferably 100%, a larger context window and accept millions of tokens for input to be tasked with solving any number of problems(searching more patterns and massive calculations).

something a step above funsearch perhaps but applied to everything.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
The problem is that socially this does not work. If all companies do this. We won't have jobs to pay for services lol.

it will happen but not because businesses are colluding for it to happen but because they're acting in their own self-interest like the system is designed for them to do.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Yeah. Heard it's their ads and sales teams.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread my company is asking us to research A.I to be able to interact with customers and see if we can implement by training LLM's on our product line. It basically means they want to replace people working at this company with A.I as much as they can.

I'm trying to look for another job because that shyt is BS. I didn't sign up to be apart of this.

wow this is cold, google already have years of internal data and communications from those employees and will train their AI on it to do what those tens of thousands of workers did. the AI will probably have a voice to do those ad sales and respond to customers without any wait time/delay too.

Last edited:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yea, well...all you 6-figure, 6 certs folks...

lighting-a-cigarette-laurence-stirling.gif

All you coders...you folks are on that clock too. :ufdup:

Same goes for customer service, admin positions, advisors, financiers, animators, graphic design, etc, ETC. Basically anyone on the endless list, of ppl who sit behind a computer. :manny:

Ppl really gonna have to think about whether they wanna invest their time and energy in certain fields, and specifically their finances. All types of fields are about to get spooky. AND you can bet, we're gonna get blindsided quicker than expected in some area, we haven't foreseen, happening as quickly.

Don’t need school either. Companies will not have buyers.