Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
True but banks are planning to cut staff too.
I'm curious on this. I know Wells Fargo had been working on getting rid of their staff in HCOL cities and moving those teams to cheaper areas like Charlotte, Richmond VA, and St Louis. I had a job offer as product manager from there. This was about a year and a half ago. I was close to taking it but it was going to be slight pay cut and the big issue was they were going to force everyone back into the office once Covid ended so I passed. Ended up at a company that does banking software instead. Luckily in no danger of being cut, got offered more money because they were desperate and they have no plans of removing remote status as my whole team works from home all across the country.

Funny cause my old company just got bought out and has forced ALL employees to work in office even those that worked from home before Covid. They've had a bunch of people quit (over 100 in the last three months). They're cutting benefits and can't put out new product. I got out at the perfect time.

lib123

All Star
Daps
I'm curious on this. I know Wells Fargo had been working on getting rid of their staff in HCOL cities and moving those teams to cheaper areas like Charlotte, Richmond VA, and St Louis. I had a job offer as product manager from there. This was about a year and a half ago. I was close to taking it but it was going to be slight pay cut and the big issue was they were going to force everyone back into the office once Covid ended so I passed. Ended up at a company that does banking software instead. Luckily in no danger of being cut, got offered more money because they were desperate and they have no plans of removing remote status as my whole team works from home all across the country.

Funny cause my old company just got bought out and has forced ALL employees to work in office even those that worked from home before Covid. They've had a bunch of people quit (over 100 in the last three months). They're cutting benefits and can't put out new product. I got out at the perfect time.

Yeah companies will probably implement return to office mandates to see who resigns.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Fasho . and it pays a lot too depending on the location. right now i make 6 figures.
As a product manager I work real close with the business analysts in my company. Be real with me. Do you really think these positions are worth six figures? I was shocked when I started looking for a new job and seeing how well other companies were paying for the position. Part of why I stayed at my old job for so long was thinking I was overpaid, only to find out industry wise I was pretty underpaid.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Most of my career was in tech, specifically lots of startups so I’m used to the idea of being laid off at any moment without notification. It’s happened before and it didn’t really surprise me. My advice is to be very generous with your resume and be aggressive and vocal about learning opportunities and job advancement, those that are the loudest, all things equal, come out on top.
This is some real shyt. That's how I moved up in my small startup. I started as software support, self taught myself SQL, and the ins and outs for any third party software we used. Became the go to person for it which lead to a fast promotion. From there as we grew they had me start any new departments we needed plus a raise to go with it. So I started QA and built it up, then implementations, and then a boarding team before being moved to product manager. Went from 25K to 75K within five years.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Nothing's confirmed for me but it looks spooky. They clamping down on attendance, tardiness and I've been having suspect scheduling issues all month :patrice:

I might be crashing and burning brehs, we'll see
Good luck. shyt if possible I'd try to get involved in as many projects as possible so that you're the last person they look at to get rid of.