Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
That corporate lifestyle with the sports car is what the American dream promotes..

Trade workers are the offensive/defensive lineman of the workforce

Yeah, because you make more in corporate while not destroying your body :heh:

Your OL/DL analogy is correct actually. fukk that, give me the QB or WR position instead.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
The problem is if the trades become popular again, the wages will go down. Supply and demand.

We are already in a recession, possibly entering into a depression. The mortgage industry got obliterated before the tech industry and some of those companies got rid of the majority of their employees. We're in for some bumpy times ahead
To keep it 100 with you we are already underpaid regardless of what state you live in... underpaid by a lot actually.

Duke Wy Lin

It's been a good run. Wish y'all the best ✊🏿
Daps
Yeah, I work with an older union guy and he said they can't fill those positions fast enough right not. I'm a just a maintenance guy at a school and I negotiated a $20k raise for myself the other day which is going to put me a just a hair under $100k next year. It's looking good for the trades right now :whew:

So you 5.99 figures gang? :picard:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, because you make more in corporate while not destroying your body :heh:

Your OL/DL analogy is correct actually. fukk that, give me the QB or WR position instead.
This narrative really needs to stop. I do not 'destroy my body' doing electrical work. I seen plenty of guys do this type of work into their 60's(plumbing and HVAC as well).

Also Offensive/defensive lineman have longer careers than WR's...

Spence

Superstar
Daps
This narrative really needs to stop. I do not 'destroy my body' doing electrical work. I seen plenty of guys do this type of work into their 60's(plumbing and HVAC as well).

Eh, it’s about being in hot ass unsavory elemental conditions and wearing steel toe boots every god damn day for Me. Plumbers are also in attics that run up to 120•+ jumping water heaters up and down multiple floors. Fuuuuuuk all dat!

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Yeah, I work with an older union guy and he said they can't fill those positions fast enough right not. I'm a just a maintenance guy at a school and I negotiated a $20k raise for myself the other day which is going to put me a just a hair under $100k next year. It's looking good for the trades right now :whew:

So you 5.99 figures gang? :picard:

I’m literally going to be at $99,174.40 :russ:

Five figures, five feet, five inches of meat ganggang

All my life i’ve had to fight :mjcry:

:dead:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps

Yeah, I'm in the best shape of my life right now tbh. I saw a friend that I hadn't seen in maybe ten years recently, and he commented about how I'm probably the only person he's seen that actually looks even better now than they did in high school lol. My coworker just hit 65 and he's built like an ox and still plugging away like it's nothing too.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Not all trades, to be fair to you. Definitely some. And even if you're not, at some point you're battling with the elements, working in potentially hazardous conditions...

I don't think the trades are compensated enough. That's the primary issue. If they were, there wouldn't be a need to "encourage" people to go into those fields.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Not all trades, to be fair to you. Definitely some. And even if you're not, at some point you're battling with the elements, working in potentially hazardous conditions...

I don't think the trades are compensated enough. That's the primary issue. If they were, there wouldn't be a need to "encourage" people to go into those fields.
This we definitely are in agreement on. We make good money, but given some people make just as much as us to sit at the house we should be getting a lot more.

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
They went on needless hiring sprees "during" the pandemic because a lot of these companies were seeing growth that they thought was a result of a permanent shift.

Many of them are correcting course after that blunder. Although, I'd say Twitter's layoffs appear to be a little different.

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hopefully all the layoffs and hiring freezes will generate more innovation as some people will use this time to work on their own ideas
Programs like Y-combinator barely get any buzz now days, everybody was just running to get a $400K job and calling it a day I guess

I wonder when/if the layoffs will start to hit other industries. I'm assuming housing will be next, the auto industry maybe, then retail?
The problem is that venture capital is drying up quickly. The era of cheap money is over, that's going to be a huge problem for tech, because that's what their whole business model was build upon.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Whoever was investing/funding/gambling these tech companies who produced nothing but vaporware are basically cashing out. So yup, spot is blown. I'm betting though they're not done funding/investing. They'll simply find another company to drop a bunch of money on and those companies will have to hire tech teams.

That said, prior to the last few years this is pretty standard end of the year behavior for many places where they'll cut workers around this time.

I mean there are plenty of other companies hiring, paying big money and providing modern work-life balance out there. They simply aren't F.A.A.N.G. (right now).

These companies provide business and build commercial apps for other businesses, they'll be around as long as there are computers/phones and employers.

One of the best engineers I've ever worked with was recently let go on Twitter, but many companies hit him up on the Linkedin comments saying they were hiring so people are a little over-exaggerating about how bad the job market this.

It'll bounce back over time.

Last edited: