Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

jaydolf spitler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Florida
I'm happy for you, breh. I'm hoping to get there soon, myself. If you have any advice, please throw it my way.
Just make sure whatever you are doing that you are working hard and at least getting results. You should know if you are being effective or not. Don't let handpicked KPIs be the judge of the effort you put in and the results you get. If higher ups are hounding you and you have been keeping ur shyt in order then it may not be the work at all but the company could be facing financial issues or disguising mass layoffs with nitpicked critique of your work to justify letting you go when there may not even be a legitimate basis. Anything that could be seen as a slip up, make note so you can provide broader context if it ever comes up.

On top of that, since I started in tech, I made a few valuable friends who I can pick up the phone and call at anytime and they work hard too and go elsewhere and make waves and can be highly instrumental in helping you transition when u find urself on the hot seat where ur at. If they get fired or are on the hot seat, i step in to see what opportunities i can open for them. They do the same for me. If you can, build a portfolio or a tailored resume that shows you have a plan and direction.

One thing I did that is really making my interviews a lot easier is I started in sales but then moved into post contract stuff (onboarding, account management, customer success management, digital campaign manager).

If I only did sales I'd be only a good fit for sales jobs. Because I took risks and dabbled in all these positions, it makes me look a lot more versatile and I can apply for a sales role and they say I may be a good fit for a few different positions which is what happened here. They told me they think I'd be bored just doing sales so they wanted to offer me a more hands on role.

If ur company offers a professional development budget, use it and get certified, just keep improving in one way or another, keep that mindset and in time that resume is gonna fall into place.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't let these corporations walk all over you brehs. I went from being nitpicked and underpaid to getting an offer today from a new job and doubling my income with the potential to maybe even triple it if I hit my targets.

Can't wait to update my LinkedIn to let those fools know at the old company.

Gonna go cry tears of joy at the beach. :mjcry:

Congrats!

papa pimp

All Star
Daps

While some of the largest tech companies in the world—including Meta Plaforms Inc.’s Facebook, Alphabet Inc.’s Google and Amazon.com Inc. —have announced layoffs, some parts of the industry are still growing. The unemployment rate for tech occupations is still low at 2.2%, which indicates tech employees are being reabsorbed back into the workforce, said Tim Herbert,
Technical services and software development, a subsector made up of mostly small and midsize firms, added the most tech workers in the past year, so workers seem to be transitioning from big tech companies to startups, cybersecurity and technical consulting firms, Mr. Herbert said.

That said, there is still an appetite for talent at well-funded, early-stage companies in emerging areas, including electric-vehicle batteries, as the auto industry shifts away from gas-powered cars, and artificial intelligence, a technology with the potential to change industries that has prompted a global race to build AI products.

Financial-services firms and those in hospitality and logistics are now having better luck recruiting workers from big tech companies, said Allison Baum Gates, a general partner at the venture-capital firm SemperVirens, which invests in workforce technology companies.

Food and beverage maker Kraft Heinz Co. and global retailer Walmart Inc. say they are seeing a new mix of applicants from some of the largest tech companies, including Meta and Amazon.

For some tech workers, the current market feels so volatile that they are choosing not to look for a full-time job. Fractional executive positions, which involve a person dedicating a few hours a week to multiple companies, are on the rise, and so are the number of people looking to consult or serve in an advisory capacity instead of in a full-time job.

“It’s a cautionary tale for the titans because I do think amazing talent is being dispersed into smaller tech companies that eventually end up competing,” he said.

bypass paywall: https://archive.fo/HXhrK#selection-429.0-471.0

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:francis:

Laid off by Big Tech, then recruited for contract work — at the same place​

After losing their jobs at one of Seattle’s biggest tech companies, some workers find themselves facing an unexpected question: Do you want to return to the company that just let you go?

There’s a catch. Those offers, from third-party recruiters eager to place workers at the companies they just left, are for contract positions rather than staff positions. They would come with an end date, a lower salary, no benefits and no stock options.

For workers the messages range from insensitive to insulting.

“We all just got the shock of our life, the last thing I need is for you to continue to ask me to go to a company that just let me go,” said one former Microsoft worker who was laid off in March and asked to remain anonymous during the job hunt.

Another worker who was laid off from Amazon in January and also asked to remain anonymous out of concern for future job prospects said they’ve heard from several recruiters looking specifically for people with Amazon experience.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
:francis:

Laid off by Big Tech, then recruited for contract work — at the same place​

After losing their jobs at one of Seattle’s biggest tech companies, some workers find themselves facing an unexpected question: Do you want to return to the company that just let you go?

There’s a catch. Those offers, from third-party recruiters eager to place workers at the companies they just left, are for contract positions rather than staff positions. They would come with an end date, a lower salary, no benefits and no stock options.

For workers the messages range from insensitive to insulting.

“We all just got the shock of our life, the last thing I need is for you to continue to ask me to go to a company that just let me go,” said one former Microsoft worker who was laid off in March and asked to remain anonymous during the job hunt.

Another worker who was laid off from Amazon in January and also asked to remain anonymous out of concern for future job prospects said they’ve heard from several recruiters looking specifically for people with Amazon experience.
So they’re not even more making slightly more as a contractor but rather less upfront. I’d be pissed

Spence

Superstar
Daps
So they’re not even more making slightly more as a contractor but rather less upfront. I’d be pissed
If it meant keeping the lights on. I’m taking that job then continuing to take interviews and or a 2nd job that I would treat as the primary and the laid off tech job as the secondary “I don’t really need this check anymore” job :heh:

I bet it was those sling blades at Insoght Global recruiting for Amazon tech workers with Amazon experience. They don’t give a fk! As long as that placement goes through :pachaha:

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
Lots of places work US hours. They got entire campuses in India dedicated to this stuff. Their offices got everything from food to showers to ping pong. Utlimately, there's a diminishing return to offshoring. They don't tend to have the best skillsets, language barriers, and they're very rigid in thinking but that's the nature of the job.

One of my colleagues in India is basically online 24/7. Meetings at 8am, 11am, and 3pm EST? He's in there. Something happens at 6pm EST that needs to be resolved? By the time I get back online he's already fixed it. 2am EST page goes off? He's taking care of it immediately. My man Kumar is either a robot or there's three of them doing this one job.