Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

jaydolf spitler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Florida
was "forced to resign" over some BS performance reviews.

Performance review rating scale is 1 to 3

No breakdown of categories and an average of the numbers. Literally basically a "we decide to just give you this". They tried to point out areas I was struggling in but I had screenshots and everything to show the full context and why their reasons were stupid.
Could do a PIP and try to survive, if not, no severance, or resign and get severance. So i resigned a few days before my daughter's 1 yr bday.

I resigned basically saying based on the lack of context they exhibit when judging my performance, I don't feel confident they'd rate me fairly and objectively :manny:
Finished 2nd job interview at new company last week. I think I may get an offer but won't find out until early next week. Bigger company, better pay :pacspit:

If I can land this transition this smoothly and quickly, I'll be so happy.
New company wrote me back talking about an Account Ececutive role opened up they want to consider me for, an even better role than what I was going for and now I have a chance to make double what I was making at my last company.

I can't take this job market :dead:

papa pimp

All Star
Daps

Stanford economist Nicholas Bloom tells The Wall Street Journal that if the last century saw the globalization of manufacturing jobs, a similar trend can be expected in the service support sector. Bloom expects 10% to 20% of these positions, including software developers, to move to places like Bangalore and Mexico City in the next decade. The Federal Reserve reported that 7.3% of the managers it surveyed in August said they’d offshored jobs in response to the rise of remote work during the pandemic.

Not a new prediction but still an interesting forecast nonetheless. Time zone barriers make a lot of collaboration difficult.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Not a new prediction but still an interesting forecast nonetheless. Time zone barriers make a lot of collaboration difficult.
Lots of places work US hours. They got entire campuses in India dedicated to this stuff. Their offices got everything from food to showers to ping pong. Utlimately, there's a diminishing return to offshoring. They don't tend to have the best skillsets, language barriers, and they're very rigid in thinking but that's the nature of the job.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
Lots of places work US hours. They got entire campuses in India dedicated to this stuff. Their offices got everything from food to showers to ping pong. Utlimately, there's a diminishing return to offshoring. They don't tend to have the best skillsets, language barriers, and they're very rigid in thinking but that's the nature of the job.

I guess this depends on the company. I don't run into Indian engineers who aren't highly skilled as that wouldn't fly where I work but they suck at people skills and many of their teams don't work US hours.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Agreed but how many companies will effectively deploy AI/ML in their environment within the next say 5 years?

This isn't going to spark new outsourcing.

The outsourced Product Teams specializing in AI/ML are in places like Israel and you don't need a scale of employees for this stuff. It's small product teams pretty much writing up the API docs that ISVs can use for their customers.

The days of code sweat shops are ending.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
This isn't going to spark new outsourcing.

The outsourced Product Teams specializing in AI/ML are in places like Israel and you don't need a scale of employees for this stuff. It's small product teams pretty much writing up the API docs that ISVs can use for their customers.

The days of code sweat shops are ending.

I didn't meant to imply it would increase offshoring. I know what you said to be true since I work on a product created a AI/ML team based in Israel fairly heavily. I don't see but the very largest companies adopting these types of products at lightening speed which will allow for tons of offshoring to continue in the short term (10 years or less).

Then you have Goldman Sach's analysis which was a bit odd yet interesting:

According to the bank’s analysis, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Sweden and the U.S. are likely to be the top five most affected countries. Meanwhile, employees in mainland China, Nigeria, Vietnam, Kenya and, in last place, India, are the least likely to see their work being taken over by AI technology.

jaydolf spitler

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Florida
Don't let these corporations walk all over you brehs. I went from being nitpicked and underpaid to getting an offer today from a new job and doubling my income with the potential to maybe even triple it if I hit my targets.

Can't wait to update my LinkedIn to let those fools know at the old company.

Gonna go cry tears of joy at the beach. :mjcry:

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
Dang I'm not going to lie. A lot of the tech sector. People were acting real smug for the past like 5 years. Not saying that they deserve this though, but damn

Daps
Don't let these corporations walk all over you brehs. I went from being nitpicked and underpaid to getting an offer today from a new job and doubling my income with the potential to maybe even triple it if I hit my targets.

I'm happy for you, breh. I'm hoping to get there soon, myself. If you have any advice, please throw it my way.

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps

Congrats breh:salute:

What title is new gig?

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps

Congrats :salute: